How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shoes, Shoes, Shoes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-01-2005
rising star

Fixing my vintage shoes
I recently acquired some fabulous red vintage snakeskin pumps, however, the tips of these shoes turn upward which gives me a very elf like appeal that annoy me (being petite and small footed does not help of course). Is there any possible way I can fix this? They are such a gorgeous pair of shoes, I would hate to give them away

24-01-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joues-rouges
I recently acquired some fabulous red vintage snakeskin pumps, however, the tips of these shoes turn upward which gives me a very elf like appeal that annoy me (being petite and small footed does not help of course). Is there any possible way I can fix this? They are such a gorgeous pair of shoes, I would hate to give them away

They would more than likely have to fix the toe box area, they could massage the leather back into shape (this does work in the right hands), or they may have to strip etc, it can get costly. But in any of those cases- if I were you I'd seek out someone who makes custom shoes, seek out the original designer, or only place them in the hands of an experienced shoe repair person to be restored. As I tell all my friends, there is always a 50% chance to correct the error of shoes worn incorrectly, but it can get expensive, and it may in the end not be worth it.

@ the shoes, lovely colour and I can see why you'd want to restore them. This may sound crazy, but stuff the tips with cotton (better) even when wearing, especially if your toes don't reach- this helps them retain their appearance.

Always keep shoe trees especially with croc or kidskin.

I don't know where you are, but if you care to tell I may be able to give you some names of good shoe repair people in your area. I don't know them all, but I know of 2 good ones in the US- where people actually ship their shoes and a lot of designers use them. In fact here is one, I use him!

http://brooksshoeservice.com/

Last edited by Oria; 24-01-2005 at 02:19 PM.
24-01-2005
scenester

gorgeous color...love those

sorry no help on fixing the toes

24-01-2005
trendsetter

One more thing, Mike is extremely helpful and nice, you can trust him. He is one of the best, the other one is in NYC- and honestly he's gotton very sloppy with his work, thus why I ship to Chicago if not in Italy, London, or Spain.

24-01-2005
rising star

Thank you. Oria, I have pm-ed you my location. *sigh* I am not sure if it is worth fixing or not. It is a pair of gorgeous shoes though.

24-01-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joues-rouges
Thank you. Oria, I have pm-ed you my location. *sigh* I am not sure if it is worth fixing or not. It is a pair of gorgeous shoes though.
De Nada! Only sigh when all hope has failed. :p

From the foto alone, they look worth it, but again it's a choice you make. Check you PM.

24-01-2005
backstage pass

I love the way the toes turn up at the ends! It gives them character!

I know you're unhappy with the toes, but if all else fails and they can't be fixed, you should try to embrace the elf-ishness!!

24-01-2005
V.I.P.

I like the toes! And Larks, too! I have seen Larks circulating lately... I have two pair in my stock right now...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fixing, shoes, vintage