How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shoes, Shoes, Shoes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-07-2013
trendsetter

I wear them just at home instead of slippers during summer months and of course to the beach. Maybe some quick jump to the grocery and similar, but I really prefer sandals even for those purposes.
Simple beige Havaiianas are my favourite so far (I own just in pair, more than enough ).
Seeing people wearing flip flops in the city gives me creeps. Not to mention they are not comfortable for the foot anyway. And I don't have a clue how can they ride their bicycles in them.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

21-07-2013
tfs star

I've been noticing more flipflops in the streets since reading this thread, and my verdict is they're not as bad as I had thought. Hardly anyone looked offensive, and some even looked downright elegant: there was a silver-haired woman in a violet maxi skirt with matching flipflops and a beautiful pedi. Maybe I should wear them more. It's hot.

Healthwise, I assume people who write articles about their lack of hygiene, support and comfort opt daily for thick white cotton socks and nice, supportive orthopedic shoes with ventilation holes. Good for them!

21-07-2013
rising star

I don't see any hygiene issues, just make sure they have a leather insole. In fact closed shoes with the resulting increased humidity & temperature should actually be way better for fungus & bacteria growth.

But the orthopedic aspect is indeed worrisome (if you wear them constantly). Generally speaking flip-flop & UGG wearers have the most abnormal walk. And if your bones & filaments are stretched once, that state stays or life: worst case scenario = pain followed by surgery; best case = utterly repulsive (unsexy) walk in all types of shoes

21-07-2013
fashion icon

Flip flops at home or beach and very rarely at malls. I just don't feel good wearing flip flops in other places. I'd always use my leather sandals for casual days. As for hygiene, it's as simple as washing your feet with lukewarm water more often and using alcohol after a long walk. It works for me.

tfs star

They could stay cleaner than most shoes since you can wash them so easily.

22-07-2013
fashion elite

I love flip flops in the summer at home or at the beach in a casual way most of the time. But some people wear them in a very chic way.
I can imagine you can get free off or prevent athlete's foot and eczema easier than in sweaty shoes. But the sight of this....

windowshopping

I wonder if people in London ever walk in flipflops to the streets...

01-08-2013
V.I.P.

Apparently flip flops can cause Plantar Fasciitis.

Around the house and at the beach, they are fine. I try to wear nicer shoes / sandals when I venture out though.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
01-08-2013
in the mood for love

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardpakpahan View Post
I wonder if people in London ever walk in flipflops to the streets...
Yes, they do. Granted, not that many go anywhere fancy in them, but we've been having some unusually hot weather and I don't really see a problem wearing them to go grocery shopping or to cafes and/or parks. I find them most comfortable when my feet are sweating...

tfs star

mostly i only wear flip flops inside my house as it is very practical. and it's hard for me to find the right flops that's comfy in a long run, i find ipanema very comfy, i tested them on my holiday to the beach, i can wore them for days and feeling fine. most flops makes my in-between toes blister and hurt to wear them but ipanema is great.

i don't wear flops outside other than when on holiday on island or beach though, i even don't find flats comfy because i have protruding bones on my feet and the edge of flats mostly clash and make blisters on my skin, i mostly wear boots or high tops although i live in summer climate

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bad, flip, flops