How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shoes, Shoes, Shoes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-06-2004
rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by As You Like It@Jun 15th, 2004 - 8:47 am
Well, I like these boots but they're hella expensive. You can get a similar pair of Docs for half the price, which I did this past winter. $100 is pretty much the cap of what I can spend on a pair of shoes.

I think these boots are good looking enough (pretty much the whole range) but are wickedly overpriced. You can get similar boots of excellent quality for less than half the price from Carolina, Red Wing, Caterpillar, Doc Marten, etcetera. There's probably some cowboy/western brand that does similar boots, too, for a more reasonable price.

No way in seven hells would I be paying $150-200 for a pair of workboots.
They're expensive because they're a helluva lot more difficult to make than a pair of Manolos (I'm speaking as someone who can make shoes).

When I got the Sancho boots they were $160 ex-factory. A pair of designer shoes would be about $60. That says a lot about the labor involved.

15-06-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmonkey+Jun 15th, 2004 - 9:41 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pinkmonkey @ Jun 15th, 2004 - 9:41 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-As You Like It@Jun 15th, 2004 - 8:47 am
Well, I like these boots but they're hella expensive. You can get a similar pair of Docs for half the price, which I did this past winter. $100 is pretty much the cap of what I can spend on a pair of shoes.

I think these boots are good looking enough (pretty much the whole range) but are wickedly overpriced. You can get similar boots of excellent quality for less than half the price from Carolina, Red Wing, Caterpillar, Doc Marten, etcetera. There's probably some cowboy/western brand that does similar boots, too, for a more reasonable price.

They're expensive because they're a helluva lot more difficult to make than a pair of Manolos (I'm speaking as someone who can make shoes).

When I got the Sancho boots they were $160 ex-factory. A pair of designer shoes would be about $60. That says a lot about the labor involved. [/b][/quote]
I was talking about a very similar pair of workboots from a different brand. I think the Frye boots are overpriced for what they are.These are exactly what my boots are (the price has gone up in 6 years!) and they are 100% the best shoes I have ever had. Here are the Frye Boots for comparison. $70 price difference, damn near identical boots.

Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally posted by slinky_vagabond@Jun 13th, 2004 - 7:55 pm
Personally, I looooove the tough Cowpunk-pirate look. I think if it's worn right it can be sexy and badass and glamorous all at once, but these are very, very wrong. They say 'mall' instead of 'ranch', 'Starbucks' instead of 'Saloon', 'Suburbs' instead of 'Home on the range'. Plus Posh Spice always has and always will irritate me, but whatever.
Good review, Gremlin, I agree with your points but would like to add:

I think softgrey is onto something, I like the cutting-off-and-throwing-in-the-washer idea. I bet if anyone can make it work you can softie!

I saw a pair of Frye's in green last winter and tried to buy them for my friend, but they didn't have her size. I didn't care for the same boot in other colors.

I had a pair of Frye's long ago, they took forever to break in. Very uncomfortable. Maybe the new ones are made of softer leather, I don't know.

Agree with AYLI about Redwing and Carolina, but I had a pair of Caterpillar boots and they did not last long at all, I don't think they are well made. I would rather have more expensive boots that last longer. Also, I think the quality of Doc Martens fell way off a few years ago. Don't know if they started using good leather again or not. I once had a pair of Chippewa boots, those things lasted for years!

I have been sticking with Fluevogs for the last couple of years...

rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by As You Like It+Jun 15th, 2004 - 9:56 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (As You Like It @ Jun 15th, 2004 - 9:56 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmonkey@Jun 15th, 2004 - 9:41 am
<!--QuoteBegin-As You Like It
Quote:
@Jun 15th, 2004 - 8:47 am
Well, I like these boots but they're hella expensive.* You can get a similar pair of Docs for half the price, which I did this past winter.* $100 is pretty much the cap of what I can spend on a pair of shoes.

I think these boots are good looking enough (pretty much the whole range) but are wickedly overpriced.* You can get similar boots of excellent quality for less than half the price from Carolina, Red Wing, Caterpillar, Doc Marten, etcetera.* There's probably some cowboy/western brand that does similar boots, too, for a more reasonable price.

When I got the Sancho boots they were $160 ex-factory. A pair of designer shoes would be about $60. That says a lot about the labor involved.
I was talking about a very similar pair of workboots from a different brand. I think the Frye boots are overpriced for what they are.These are exactly what my boots are (the price has gone up in 6 years!) and they are 100% the best shoes I have ever had. Here are the Frye Boots for comparison. $70 price difference, damn near identical boots. [/b][/quote]
agreed that frye as a brand are a bit overpriced !

15-06-2004
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally posted by tangerine@Jun 15th, 2004 - 12:57 pm

I think softgrey is onto something, I like the cutting-off-and-throwing-in-the-washer idea. I bet if anyone can make it work you can softie!

thx baby...that's so sweet...i've actually been working on them today...

i cut off about two inches and took some very rough sandpaper to them...
HUGE IMPROVEMENT!....

now...to wash or not to wash...hmmm......i wsh i could put some rocks on the machine with them...but that would destroy my machine...

hmmm....i think i'm just gonna go for it...wish me luck...

15-06-2004

Quote:
Originally posted by mehg@Jun 15th, 2004 - 12:33 am
I didn't think these were new On the other forum in which I post girls have loved them for a long time and a couple have vintage pairs that their mothers had from the 70's. I like them but agree with Softie that they have to be worn in. Vic. B's just look bad. meh.
other forum?... ...you've been with someone else...?!?!...

why do i feel betrayed ...

15-06-2004
Meg
inspired contemplation

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey+Jun 15th, 2004 - 8:36 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ Jun 15th, 2004 - 8:36 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mehg@Jun 15th, 2004 - 12:33 am
I didn't think these were new On the other forum in which I post girls have loved them for a long time and a couple have vintage pairs that their mothers had from the 70's. I like them but agree with Softie that they have to be worn in. Vic. B's just look bad. meh.
other forum?... ...you've been with someone else...?!?!...

why do i feel betrayed ...

................................. [/b][/quote]
haha softie you know I love you

Let us know how the rocks go!! Good luck!!!

15-06-2004
Soviet Camaro

Good luck with the stonewash, softie, and you know we wanna see pix when you're done!

they're in the machine now...

i need a digi cam....

wah!!!

15-06-2004
& b

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey+Jun 13th, 2004 - 10:09 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ Jun 13th, 2004 - 10:09 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-slinky_vagabond@Jun 13th, 2004 - 9:55 pm
Personally, I looooove the tough Cowpunk-pirate look. I think if it's worn right it can be sexy and badass and glamorous all at once, but these are very, very wrong. They say 'mall' instead of 'ranch', 'Starbucks' instead of 'Saloon', 'Suburbs' instead of 'Home on the range'. Plus Posh Spice always has and always will irritate me, but whatever.
great post slinky-

...you have a good point with the posh spice reference there...

well...i'll give it a try...i can always chuck 'em if it doesn't work...

just have to try to destroy them completely and break them of their suburbian tendencies...

[/b][/quote]
YOu can actually distress them with sandpaper, make the leather very rudgy, then add a brownish, or a darker colour dye to it, and it will suck in wherever the leather was sanded... that will give it a very unique look...you can also try a matching belt that you dont wear, cut it out, and sew it on the side, or on the top part, or if it was me, I would add five belts just laced around the boot , I dunno, there's so many ways you can change the look of those shoes..

living in the sprawl

Quote:
Originally posted by Alejandro+Jun 15th, 2004 - 5:27 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alejandro @ Jun 15th, 2004 - 5:27 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 13th, 2004 - 10:09 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-slinky_vagabond
Quote:
@Jun 13th, 2004 - 9:55 pm

great post slinky-

...you have a good point with the posh spice reference there...

well...i'll give it a try...i can always chuck 'em if it doesn't work...

just have to try to destroy them completely and break them of their suburbian tendencies...

YOu can actually distress them with sandpaper, make the leather very rudgy, then add a brownish, or a darker colour dye to it, and it will suck in wherever the leather was sanded... that will give it a very unique look...you can also try a matching belt that you dont wear, cut it out, and sew it on the side, or on the top part, or if it was me, I would add five belts just laced around the boot , I dunno, there's so many ways you can change the look of those shoes.. [/b][/quote]
OIL! I know it sounds weird but dab some motor oil on a cloth and sparsley apply it to the boots.. but oil gets on everything and doesn't come out

my dads workboots have oil all over them (hahah he didn't use my technique it just happened ..obviously) they look really rugged and cool though

y-piece,
and tu
rned into a castle for some towering queen
15-06-2004
kabhi alvida

Quote:
they're in the machine now...
Ohh Softgrey be careful....!!!! boots in machine....scary.

scenester

I think the thing I love most about these boots is the banana yellow color that Frye offers.

Does anyone know of any other brands of this type of boot that have a similar color?

15-06-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Quote:
Originally posted by Marlee@Jun 15th, 2004 - 6:45 pm
I think the thing I love most about these boots is the banana yellow color that Frye offers.

Does anyone know of any other brands of this type of boot that have a similar color?
Well, Timberlands come naturally in that yellowy leather. A lot of workboots can be had in that yellowish leather. I think it is merely tanned, and not dyed. A chamois cloth is that color, too, so I think that is what color leather typically is with minimal dyeing.

Here are a pair of Caterpillars that have that color. My husband has had Cats for his last two pair of work-boots and had no complaints. They tend to have good padding and arch and ankle support. Also, as far as boots go, they are definitely in the lower price range.

Chippewa boots in that color. Kinda "meh" if you ask me, though.

Classic real Timberland boots.

These "Wolverines" are like what my dad uses for winter boots.

Heh, with all the fancy-pantsy, girly stuff like Manolos and Choos, I am clueless and uninterested, but workboots, I can tell you about.

Steel-toe cowboy boots! Kick ***!!

they came out of the washer fine and i even put them in the dryer for 30 minutes...

they need to air dry the rest of the way...the leather is very thick...this may take awhile...

i walked around in them a bit and will probably do that every once in awhile as they dry...like stirring the pot once in awhile until it's done...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boots, frye