How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shoes, Shoes, Shoes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-02-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajott
Yes, you are right. I remember seeing some 39.
But the average shop starts with 40 where I live.
That's true. Sometimes stores don't want to take chances.

20-02-2005
rising star

Perhaps I should write down what I've learned in selecting proper high heels for myself so far...

As stated in this thread before, men tend to have larger feet than women. So a larger feet would be 'typical male' and smaller feet 'typical female'. Lifting the heel off the floor lets the foot appear shorter.

As a male, I don't like the feet to appear shorter than they already are. So for ankle boots under trousers I prefer more pointy ones or with longer, squared toe box, so that the length of the footprint is still the same as my flat foot.

For sandals though, where one can easily see the rest of the foot, following this rule isn't that important. But still, the one pair I have (Alberto Fermani T-strap, 4" block heel, round toe) has a longer and wider sole, which gives them a more 'masculine' look.

(And like I don't like small looking feet on men, I don't like big looking feet on women. So no extremly pointed flat shoes or even cowboy styled flat pointy boots with thick sole )

28-02-2005
backstage pass

I can't resist bumping this thread to report a cute encounter I just had. I went to the big mega-sale at my local Dillards four different times last week, scooping five pairs in all (prices kept dropping, but selection kept dwindling). It was a kind of happy sale no pushing and shoving, almost everyone in a good mood. The last time I went simply to pick up some things I had bought previously, so I intentionally wore my knee-high boots (high heels, of course) so I wouldnt be tempted to try on still more. But as you can guess, temptation won out, and I wound up roving the place with my boots flapping open like some wild Alexander McQueen/Vivienne Westwood pirate creation.

This apparently drew the attention of one lady although the on-sale racks were widely separated on the sales floor, she seemed to show up at every one I went to. By about the third time, a nod and smile seemed too little acknowledgement, so I held up the pair of stiletto slingbacks I was looking at and said, Wow, these are great!

Oh, she said, Im too short and round for those - Id look like an olive on a toothpick in them. Youre tall and slender, so heels look much better on you.

Well, damn! I could have hugged her on the spot!

28-02-2005
V.I.P.

Fun story. Thanks for sharing.

28-02-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

I was working in Oxfam last week and we got a pair of size 45 heels (tranny shoes?) in the sort bin so I tried them on. Oh my God! I was like 6' 4", it was crazy... I'm thinking this look could work for men but only 2", pretty chunky and on a classic Oxford...

windowshopping

Terry: I like the look in the pic. Shows that heels do not need to look feminine. And if I am not mistaken havent quite a few fashion designers taken elements of the fetish world and put them into fashion? Jean-Paul Gaultier for one has designed men's styles that include corsets and heels...
While I am not a model, and was not dressed 100% appropriatly for the photo, these boots I think show that even 4" heels need not be completly feminine. Don't mind the work pants, was on the way home from a jobsite when I found these boots. Cole Haan G-series Grindlewald's.

Any other suggestions for clothing matches for these?
Jim

01-03-2005
V.I.P.

a tux!!

23-03-2005
windowshopping

Why not?
In the past few years, I've been wearing heels out to Mardi Gras balls, parties, and sometimes just to the store. While it may be deviant, I enjoy it and get lots of positive feedback from men and women alike. I've chatted with hundreds of guys that also like wearing heels. So why can't men have their heels elevated too? Heaven knows our fashion choices are few.... I've got over 200 pair of heels most women would die for.... http://PassionsforFootwear.com Go for it, guys..... Anybody know a manufacturer that might like a joint venture into heels for men?

23-03-2005
rising star

Well I have to be honest, during the past few weeks, I have been a bit tempted to see just how hard it is to balance on stilletos

I could never take such a thing to the dizzying heights of walking around in public etc, but I am very curious as to how the body/mind would adapt itself to manage to walk on such a tiny surface and stay upright

Can't see me ever doing it though, just dont have the nerve!

Fear the water...
23-03-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by balacau
Well I have to be honest, during the past few weeks, I have been a bit tempted to see just how hard it is to balance on stilletos
Don't try it, it's very addictive!

23-03-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by balacau

I could never take such a thing to the dizzying heights of walking around in public etc, but I am very curious as to how the body/mind would adapt itself to manage to walk on such a tiny surface and stay upright

Can't see me ever doing it though, just dont have the nerve!
It's a bit like ice skating, but not nearly so dangerous!

28-04-2005
windowshopping

As a first post, I thought I would chuck in this pic of yours truly wearing what I want to wear, as opposed to what society (whatever that is) says I should wear.

Xa

28-04-2005
windowshopping

Great Boots! I'm jealous!!

28-04-2005
windowshopping

Hiya, Bubba,

Yes, they're Kurt Geiger tan kneeboots with a 4.5" heel and a thin platform. I happened to be in South Molton St, London when they were on sale for 59 ..... reduced from 349. Strangely enough, I bought a black pair at the same time for that price.

I don't know if you are the same Bubba from www.hhplace.org but you can find out more details there if you wish.

Xa

28-04-2005
windowshopping

Yep... that's me.
Do you wear them out?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
heels, men