How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shoes, Shoes, Shoes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-10-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by With_the_wind View Post
The only one I know of that isn't against heels has something to do with the way women balance, making heels possible for them but awkward for men.
This sounds incredibly silly.

09-10-2009
scenester

^I said I know of it (as in I've heard it), not that I could verify it, or if it's even plausible. Chill.

rising star

Janice is on wikipedia, so anything she writes HAS to be true.

I'm kidding of course...

09-10-2009
In Bloom

I would never wear high heels to work or uni. Ever. I just don't think that it is suitable for those kinds of situations (where I want to be taken seriously) to wear high heels. For me, heels are for going out and having fun, not for work. High heels are meant for looking beautiful, and that's just not my top priority.

And I'm sure as hell not going to wear high heels to work after I finish med school - how silly to walk around in a hospital in high heels Hello future me wearing 4 inch heels and being covered in blood and other body fluids

we were in love

10-10-2009
in the mood for love

^ there's plenty of office jobs where wearing high heels is the norm. But I agree, I never wear heels to uni.

In Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legyviel View Post
^ there's plenty of office jobs where wearing high heels is the norm. But I agree, I never wear heels to uni.
Not here it isn't. I don't think it's considered professional - as in high heels are only for clubbing, not for working.

we were in love

12-10-2009
Confused & Bewildered

I guess it depends on the country and culture. Here in the states, there are certain offices where it's expected. Flats are a No Go for professional women and some secretaries and assistants. It's just part of the business attire and dress code. Whether they wear a skirt/dress suit or a pantsuit, pumps are standard wear. They don't have to be high, 2" or so is normal for women who can't wear higher heels, but it isn't uncommon to see 3" or 4". Many women will carry a pair of 5" to change into for after work dinners or parties, but they don't typically wear 5" all day.

Last edited by Echoes; 12-10-2009 at 04:07 AM.
12-10-2009
In Bloom

^I'd chop off my feet if I was forced to wear heels all day. Funny how men aren't forced to wear uncomfortable shoes I think it's rather sexist.

we were in love

12-10-2009
Confused & Bewildered

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post
I think it's rather sexist.
Which is why it can't actually be written in to dress codes or company policies. It's just one of those unwritten things that are 'expected', those that do are accepted and promoted. Those that don't, aren't, but they may never know why.

12-10-2009
In Bloom

^It's still sexist and stupid. I think one should be able to choose for oneself without it having consequences for one's career.

we were in love

12-10-2009
Once King

don't even know how the conversation took this turn. This is not a norm in every office or anywhere i can name actually. Probably expected in Trump towers or something but not at Career Communications Group.

Dressing up in the office is pretty frowned upon in many business' in the states because it is seen as vain especially when you should be taking the time to produce better work. Everyone has to be presentable but no one is calling for pumps and slit dresses while guys wear sketchers.

12-10-2009
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legyviel View Post
Such as mine...

I wear high heels almost every day to work, completely out of choice, there is no dresscode but I like heels therefore I wear them, plenty of the girls here do and certainly I don't think we're taken less seriously than our flats-wearing collegues!

Well, I work in media where you can wear whatever you want, so some of the women (and men) in our office look very dressed up and others casual. It's perfectly acceptable to wear 5" heels if you want to though! (I'd be so sad if I couldn't!)

13-10-2009
In Bloom

^That actually sounds really nice... A lot of places here it's not acceptable to dress up or wear heels, and that's just stupid.

Funny how I've chosen a profession that requires that everyone wears lab coats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
don't even know how the conversation took this turn.
I think it is pretty relevant though

we were in love

13-10-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post
^I'd chop off my feet if I was forced to wear heels all day. Funny how men aren't forced to wear uncomfortable shoes I think it's rather sexist.
Male physical attractiveness isn't valued as much as female, period. Acknowledging differences between men and women isn't sexist, and for the same reason it isn't sexist to expect men to possess certain characteristics, like strength.

This article however, is beyond silly. It attempts to argue that symbols of female sexuality and beauty possess no power in the professional world, therefore they possess no power at all (as though women wear heels for that reason). Just a shallow, perverse attempt at feminism.

13-10-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkGoddess View Post
and for the same reason it isn't sexist to expect men to possess certain characteristics, like strength.
of course it is.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
achieve, ambitions, heels, high, won’t