How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shoes, Shoes, Shoes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
14-10-2009
  46
front row
 
PinkGoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Gender: femme
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite_Brite View Post
my main point is that PinkGoddess' summary of femininity/masculinity is incredibly reductive and, frankly, sounds ignorant to my ears. a larger number of people than she accounted for reject the almighty 21st century concepts of who should do what based on sex/gender. not everybody wants to live in this hypersexual hetero normative world where women are reduced to their image and men to their strength. those who do like that are free to do so in their little slice of life, but to take issue when people complain about being forced into little boxes is ridiculous.
Who's talking about reducing men or women to anything? Acknowledging differences is not defining people by them. Or do you consider the acknowledgement of women as child bearers reducing them to reproductive machines?


Last edited by PinkGoddess; 14-10-2009 at 12:44 AM.
  Reply With Quote
 
14-10-2009
  47
V.I.P.
 
Festat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: São Paulo.
Gender: homme
Posts: 4,258
Denying differences between men and women is pointless, honestly. It's like saying blue is black. It's an issue of good sense, not sexism, feminism, femism or anything.

And, trust me, many men who have to wear a suit and formal shoes everyday don't find it very comfy.

__________________
soave sia il vento
tranquila sia l'onda
  Reply With Quote
14-10-2009
  48
clever ain't wise
 
iluvjeisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,848
Isn't it obvious that high heels are just another peacock attribute to the Homo sapiens female? It perks up the *** and shows that the woman is making a considerable effort to please men and compete with her peers. Of course men do too, but considerably less on the physical level.

In reality, except for what we can all see, precious little is *known* (and I mean this as reproducible, reliable results) about genetic racial/gender differences - because this is a field in its infancy and the draft of the human genome has only been around for 10 years. And even when we do have access to methods that will enable us to understand these issues better, this science interferes with political agendas more than any other natural science. So reliable results are going to be hard to come by for years to come, but conjecture and wishful thinking are already rampant and it will get worse.


Last edited by iluvjeisa; 14-10-2009 at 07:45 AM.
  Reply With Quote
14-10-2009
  49
fashion insider
 
Les_Sucettes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkGoddess View Post
. It is those who believe that females must adapt themselves to be more like men in order to be "empowered" that are implicating inferiority.
Well but i fail to see in what the way the fact that men and women are different has anything to do with high heels. Both men and women were not made to wear high heels. Expecting a women to wear high heels, just because she's a women, is indeed totally sexist.

  Reply With Quote
14-10-2009
  50
fashion insider
 
hautechild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York (sometimes London)
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
Isn't it obvious that high heels are just another peacock attribute to the Homo sapiens female? It perks up the *** and shows that the woman is making a considerable effort to please men
I disagree. Men factor exactly 0% into my decision to wear heels.

  Reply With Quote
14-10-2009
  51
trendsetter
 
j'adore_couture's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sky's the limit
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,252
Comfort > height IMO, that's why I don't choose to wear heels on a regular basis.

__________________
Fashions fade, style is eternal.
  Reply With Quote
14-10-2009
  52
Not Thinking About Time
 
from: sophia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautechild View Post
I disagree. Men factor exactly 0% into my decision to wear heels.
so true I wear them because they are fun and beautiful and who doesn't want to have a view point from a few inches higher up. On the other hand I do think some people where heels for men and they shouldn't do what you want to do for yourself not for another person.

__________________

Portfolio Last FM
  Reply With Quote
14-10-2009
  53
clever ain't wise
 
iluvjeisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautechild View Post
I disagree. Men factor exactly 0% into my decision to wear heels.
That's not the point. Our sense for aesthetics is determined by social factors. The reason why high heels are even used is because it perks upp the ***, shapes up the legs, makes a person shaplier and taller and adds to a nice female sway of the hips.

You may not feel that or think about that as you are selecting your clothes, and indeed it might not even be the subconscious that's at work, but the reason that they are there to choose from is simply the sex appeal that they add.

Why else would it be that we have high heels and that that goes with the most sexually appealing of female outfits? There is an infinite universe of shapes out there - why aren't shoes tilted slightly in the other direction, or are huge in width?


Last edited by iluvjeisa; 14-10-2009 at 09:32 AM.
  Reply With Quote
14-10-2009
  54
fashion insider
 
hautechild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York (sometimes London)
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
That's not the point. Our sense for aesthetics is determined by social factors. The reason why high heels are even used is because it perks upp the ***, shapes up the legs, makes a person shaplier and taller and adds to a nice female sway of the hips.

You may not feel that or think about that as you are selecting your clothes, and indeed it might not even be the subconscious that's at work, but the reason that they are there to choose from is simply that.

Why else would it be that we have high heels and that that goes with the most sexually appealing of female outfits? There is an infinite universe of shapes out there - why aren't shoes tilted slightly in the other direction, or are huge in width?
How it that not the point?

It was said that women wear heels for men.

I don't. I wear them because I like heels, yes I like how they look and how they make me look and work with an outfit. That is nothing to do with men and frankly it's both offensive in a gernal sense, and heterosexist to suggest that all women's in what they wear come back to men.

  Reply With Quote
14-10-2009
  55
front row
 
PinkGoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Gender: femme
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
Well but i fail to see in what the way the fact that men and women are different has anything to do with high heels. Both men and women were not made to wear high heels. Expecting a women to wear high heels, just because she's a women, is indeed totally sexist.
It relates to high heels because of the issue that women are valued for their beauty more than men, and the underlying reasons for it.

Expecting a woman to wear heels is not sexist; enforcing that she must wear them if her appearance is unrelated to her work, is. We derive expectations simply based on what we perceive to be normal and commonly occurring, and since wearing heels for women is, there is nothing wrong with simply expecting a woman to.

  Reply With Quote
14-10-2009
  56
front row
 
PinkGoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Gender: femme
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautechild View Post
That is nothing to do with men and frankly it's both offensive in a gernal sense, and heterosexist to suggest that all women's in what they wear come back to men.
How is that either offensive or heterosexist? Women seek to attract specific men, as well as enjoy the male attention their sexuality brings. It's certainly untrue that what women find appealing in fashion relates directly to men, but when it comes to items like heels, padded bras, short skirts, etc, it's not at all unreasonable to assume the motive of attracting the opposite sex is there.

  Reply With Quote
14-10-2009
  57
fashion insider
 
hautechild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York (sometimes London)
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkGoddess View Post
How is that either offensive or heterosexist? Women seek to attract specific men, as well as enjoy the male attention their sexuality brings.
Because not all women do. Believe me my choice to wear heels has nothing to do with men and I'm not comfortable with the suggestion that it does.

  Reply With Quote
14-10-2009
  58
Power to the 99%
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite_Brite View Post
lots of bad things have existed throughout history but we've been doing a decent job of working through them in modern society. humans don't just come into the world as decent functioning members of society - we're naturally inclined to all sorts of destructive tendencies. racism, sexism, heterosexism, mysticism, war.

maybe 100 years ago we all should have just thrown up our hands and said "**** it, women have always been dominated by men in every culture (which isn't actually true but for the sake of argument I'll go with it), so let's just relinquish power in every sector of society". there is great diversity amongst women, I'd venture to say between me and you, and I don't care to be grouped in with you as if we fall under the same umbrella as human beings with the exact same nature, the same wants and needs etc.

we need to keep fighting for a humanistic view of every individual instead of acting like what is "natural" is always good.

where do you draw the line for when we should give up? how far is the expectation that we wear heels in the office from the expectation that we just stay out of the office altogether? I'm for expanding choice for both men and women in how they live their lives, and I know it's worth pursuing because we've not stopped progressing yet.
I've never seen mysticism grouped with racism as a social ill

__________________
There's a need for more individuality today, and my job is to cater to women, not dictate to them.
--Alber Elbaz
  Reply With Quote
14-10-2009
  59
Power to the 99%
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
Isn't it obvious that high heels are just another peacock attribute to the Homo sapiens female? It perks up the *** and shows that the woman is making a considerable effort to please men and compete with her peers. Of course men do too, but considerably less on the physical level.

In reality, except for what we can all see, precious little is *known* (and I mean this as reproducible, reliable results) about genetic racial/gender differences - because this is a field in its infancy and the draft of the human genome has only been around for 10 years. And even when we do have access to methods that will enable us to understand these issues better, this science interferes with political agendas more than any other natural science. So reliable results are going to be hard to come by for years to come, but conjecture and wishful thinking are already rampant and it will get worse.
When I wear heels, those motivations may not even enter into why I'm doing it ... how they make me feel is a primary motivation for me.

I don't need a scientific document to tell me what I already know I also think that genes are just part of the picture. I self-identify readily as a feminist, but I also find it quite obvious that men have superior upper-body strength, and women have better communication skills.

I do wear heels to work, but I don't do so at the expense of my health ... I typically alternate days between heels and flats. I agree that you really need to be able to walk in your shoes, and if you can't do so on a flat surface, you just look ridiculous. I see young girls walking in ridiculously high heels, and can't help but think of bound feet. I also remember an older executive who was 'walking' in heels in front of me ... teetering isn't really a strong enough word for what she was doing. Heels aren't lending you power if they make you an object of pity

__________________
There's a need for more individuality today, and my job is to cater to women, not dictate to them.
--Alber Elbaz
  Reply With Quote
14-10-2009
  60
front row
 
PinkGoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Gender: femme
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautechild View Post
Because not all women do. Believe me my choice to wear heels has nothing to do with men and I'm not comfortable with the suggestion that it does.
Of course no one would argue that every woman wears heels for men, but it's certainly not unreasonable to suggest that male attention contributes to the motives of most women, so I don't see how it could be offensive.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
achieve, ambitions, heels, high, won’t
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.