How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shoes, Shoes, Shoes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-05-2005
Proponent of Plaid

I have a really dumb shoe/hosiery question:
So, as some of you might know, I'm not much in the habit of wearing girly shoes. I wear lumberjack boots 90% of the time, and a pair of Doc Marten oxfords the rest of the time.

Well, I've started making some nicer clothes for work, and so I broke down and ordered a pair of real, girly shoes, and I'm kind of stuck. What do I wear on my feet with these? Also, I got these secondhand from my sister.

I get the impression that nylons are passé, and I don't have any tights that would really go with either of the suits I've made (they aren't retro enough for white tights). Socks would look stupid. I think bare feet would feel creepy in the heels, and wouldn't they get smelly? I've worn the flats barefooted a couple of times, and it makes my feet hurt after a while.

Help a chick out here...this girly thing is really kind of new to me. Do I just get some nylons that are a close match to my skintone, or suck it up and wear the shoes without anything else on my feet?

13-05-2005
V.I.P.

I'd personally just go with some black tights for the first.
The second could look completely adorable with some colourful striped stockings, or maybe even a pair of short socks. Not sure whether it's "you," but of course, prettier socks with heels are apparently the new thing.

13-05-2005
Proponent of Plaid

Well, the suit I bought those brown shoes to wear with is light green bouclé with slubs of yellow, blue, and pink...so black tights would probably look kind of odd. I've got another suit planned in my more usual brown tones out of a big ol' chunk of shantung. I do have some herringbone texture tights that will do with the brown suit, when I get it made.

Socks with heels is probably something I would never do. To me, it just looks wrong.

I'll probably wear my oddball tights and such with the flats, and possibly some interesting socks, but I've never owned such an obligatorily grown-up pair of shoes as those brown ones.

How sad is it that I'm vaguely intimidated by my own shoe purchase?

14-05-2005
backstage pass

If you wear them with a slack suit or any kind of pants, there's a wide variety of trouser socks or knee-high nylons to choose from - colors, sheers, the whole nine yards.

(edited for lousy typing)

14-05-2005
Confused & Bewildered

Quote:
I get the impression that nylons are passé,
OK, first off, I'm not sure where you got that....

Second, What is work? What is the environment/atmosphere there? Is it an office? Retail? Is it a medical facility? Will you be seen by the general public? Or is it more of a closed off space?

Quote:
Well, the suit I bought those brown shoes to wear with is light green bouclé with slubs of yellow, blue, and pink.
Consider either a suntan/taupe stocking/pantyhose or a pair or tights in sage, tan, linen or buff.

Some other factors... Consider your age [don't state it here if you don't want]. Under 25 can carry some styles better than over 25.

When you interviewed, what were others wearing?

Not to get personal, but how are your legs? Would they look OK in sheer stockings? Or would they be better off covered by opaque tights?

'Bold' stockings/tights [stripes, checks, patterns] are not appropriate in most offices, but 'textured' color-on-same-color are generallly fine.

Socks of any kind with a skirt and heels is definitely out, unless you are going for the schoolgirl sex-kitten look.

In fact I don't think socks would look right with the flats and a skirt; a pantsuit, yes, but not a skirt in a business environment.

Last edited by Echoes; 14-05-2005 at 02:10 PM.
14-05-2005
Proponent of Plaid

What is work? What is the environment/atmosphere there? Is it an office? Retail? Is it a medical facility? Will you be seen by the general public? Or is it more of a closed off space?

I work in an office, and while I don't work right at the front reception station, I do have daily public contact.

Some other factors... Consider your age [don't state it here if you don't want]. Under 25 can carry some styles better than over 25.

I'm almost 28.

When you interviewed, what were others wearing?

Dress in my office is all over the place. My boss is 50-something and wears a lot of matchy-match pants-outfit things. My one co-worker dresses rather unfortunately in hoodies and colored capris and slogan shirts. Some of my co-workers wear nicer office suits, some wear bluejeans and tee-shirts. Mostly, I wear cargoes or bluejean-cut corduroys, and a couple of pair of dark jeans, but I like to dress a little more nicely once in a while. I nearly never wear tee-shirts, except as layers.

Not to get personal, but how are your legs? Would they look OK in sheer stockings? Or would they be better off covered by opaque tights?

Not to toot my own horn, but my legs ROCK. Probably my best feature, actually. I'm an avid cyclist and have really good muscle definition. I do have a lot of bruises and scars, however, due to my general klutziness.

Thanks for all the suggestions; I should be able to get some good ideas from your help.

14-05-2005
Confused & Bewildered

Considering what you've said, I think you should lean a bit towards up-scale..

Sheer or translucent hosiery for example

One other thing to consider is the length of the skirt [should be just above the knee, but not mid-thigh]

Of course on those 'dress-up' days, hair and make-up need to match the tone of the outfit.

28 is definitely beyond the point of wearing ankle or knee socks with heels and a skirt. [Don't shoot me, OK?]

Maybe you could post a few 'neck-down' pics with different looks and we could advise from there?

Last edited by Echoes; 14-05-2005 at 02:38 PM.
14-05-2005
Proponent of Plaid

I am SO not even offended by the suggestion that a woman my age shouldn't wear ankle-sox. Honestly, I don't think anyone over the age of 10 should be wearing ankle socks, but who am I to dictate such matters? I sometimes wear knee socks with my Docs and a skirt, but it's not so "little girly." Plus, my days of wearing super miniskirts are probably over, because I don't like all the male attention I get from it. I wouldn't wear that at work anyway, but I don't like going out and getting hassled on the street.

The skirt I am making is a lot like this one, only without the ribbon trim on the seams, and of a light green bouclé.

Oh, and as far as what my legs are like, see below.

The occasion of this photo was my college graduation. My husband expressed his congratulations by swinging me around like a maniac! Those are the boots I wear everyday, though this photo is from 1999. And yes, yes, I wore a leather minidress for graduation.

This skirt is actually tea-length (mid calf) Those are my usual boots.

Dubious taste in patterend tights!

Dubious taste in skirts. (this picture is three years old...my hair is long now)

14-05-2005
fashion insider

has anyone ever tried the airbrush leg makeup by sally hensen?

14-05-2005
fashion insider

i cant say how well it works, but it seems cool.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dumb, question, shoe or hosiery