How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shoes, Shoes, Shoes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-09-2007
catch me if you can

^^ lucky, look back a few pages, Steve Madden also "borrowed" a photo of a shoe CL did for Roland Mouret that was clearly taken from netaporter.com. I think that they are hoping nobody notices....

05-09-2007
V.I.P.

i am usually unphased by the people who do counterfeits as much as i hate them
but this just tops it all and does in fact make me fume!
forget the fact that noone has stopped them copying the exact same shoe (even the pic) but my question is:

DOESNT STEVE FEEL OVERLY STUPID??????????

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
05-09-2007
the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremorviolet View Post
Heh, the zipper pump is a photoshop job too. Compare Nieman Marcus' photo to Steve Maddens. They've flipped the image and photoshopped in (badly) the Madden label.
The Photoshop work is even more obvious when you are educated in the field of photography. For me, the first mistake I noticed upon looking at the photo was that the label is out of focus, a strange feature since the surrounding areas of the shoe are clearly in focus.

Steve Madden, Steve Madden. You never cease to amuse me.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanutbutter View Post
The Photoshop work is even more obvious when you are educated in the field of photography. For me, the first mistake I noticed upon looking at the photo was that the label is out of focus, a strange feature since the surrounding areas of the shoe are clearly in focus.

Steve Madden, Steve Madden. You never cease to amuse me.
Yeah, it's not just photo-shopping, it's really, really bad photo-shopping. EVidently, Steve Madden is too cheap to hire anyone good to do it and must give it to an intern or something.

You know, I don't really mind copies. Copies give people a chance to get the basic style at a cheaper price. The quality of a real designer shoe is always distinctive so I don't see copies as a threat. Heck, I have a couple of the Lalo variations and the Miss Boxe copies are my favorite work shoe (I wish I had bought the real thing tho').

But, this stealing of other photos and then pre-selling shoes they haven't even had made yet is just wrong. Copies never look exactly like the real thing; the heel height changes, the heel is usually thicker, and the materials are much cheaper. I think Steve Madden is verging on fraud. Anybody remember how he was convicted of insider trading and actually spent some time in prison? It looks like he didn't learn anything.

06-09-2007
V.I.P.

lets keep this on topic and concentrate on the louboutin knock off's themselves. there is a great photoshop thread in art & design here.

06-09-2007
backstage pass

the steve madden lady gres look like they're made of clay! ewww!

11-09-2007
V.I.P.

Louboutin Sees Red, Asks For Protection For His Sole

Shoe designer Christian Louboutin has filed a trademark application with the patent office to protect his red-soled shoes. Brands like MiuMiu and New Look have been trying red soles. He told the U.S. Patent office that, "The shiny red colour of the soles has no function other than to identify to the public that the shoes are mine."

I'm rather surprised to hear that he's just getting around to this now. I would have thought he'd have trademarked them long ago. Or at least tried to. He's not the first shoe designer to seize on the power of red heels. In the 1600s the French King Louis XIV dictated that red heels could only be worn by the members of his court -- quickly making them all the rage in England.

commentary blurb and image from portfolio.com

11-09-2007
Confused & Bewildered

Too late. Now that others are already in production, CL can't stop them from using it unless they trademark a very specific color formula. Had they done it a year or two ago before the others started using it, they would have had a better case.

But BLL or LD would have better input on this.

11-09-2007
the crying of humanity

Quote:
"The shiny red colour of the soles has no function other than to identify to the public that the shoes are mine."
Now he just sounds full of himself. Anyone can put red soles on their shoes; the idea is not limited to his brand only. He simply does it more frequently than others and as a result believes it's his to own.

trendsetter

He may or may not have a point, but I don't really get his statement about the public being decieved into thinking they are his. They don't say "Louboutin" on them. He's just being possessive.

12-09-2007
V.I.P.

actually i totally agree. the major part of girls buying a "knock off" dont only buy it for the style but also for the RED sole hoping everyone would think they are Louboutins.
i think that is a very true statement.

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
12-09-2007
backstage pass

The thing is that I don't know how much the knock-offs are really affecting his sales. I own probably 4-5 (maybe more) CL knock-offs, simply because I can not afford the real thing. However, if I had the $ to buy real CLs, I wouldn't even consider the knock-offs, no matter how closely they resembled the real thing. I dunno, I guess what I'm trying to say is that all the knock-offs are doing is allowing people who wouldn't buy CLs in the first place to have shoes that look similar.

12-09-2007
Confused & Bewildered

I think if he cut his prices to more reasonable levels, or even started a secondary line of 'budget' priced, but similar styled models he'd be better off and could knock the wind out of the sails of the wannabees.

12-09-2007
backstage pass

^^So true, Echoes.

12-09-2007
tfs star

Is it wrong for me to want to buy some Steve Madden shoes?
Not because they look like CL's but just because they look nice and are cheap?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
knockoffs, louboutin