How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shoes, Shoes, Shoes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-03-2006
trendsetter

Manolo Blahnik vs. SJP
This is an excerpt/summary of the article about how Manolo Blahnick talked about how he recieved "unwanted" press from Sex and the City...

Don't you hate when actors and actresses drag your name through the mud? And by drag your name through the mud, we mean, make you more famous than you ever dreamt you could be.
Now that everyone and their Gastineu clad mom wants a pair of Manolo Blahniks the designer is totally fuming. We don't claim to understand this fashion world, but at some high society meta meta riche fest, where an intimate group gathered in celebration of Eric Boman's newest photographic shrine to the designer, the HBO hit's influence over the shoe's popularity was brought up. And just as quickly, shot down.
“Manolo thinks—which is very unfair—he thinks it’s vulgarized his name,” said Mr. Boman, who has a boyish, fine-featured face.
You know, because Sarah Jessica Parker wrote Sex and the City, she was wholly responsible for putting Blahniks on the map. That tramp.
“He says,”—here Mr. Boman traded his casual chatty tone for a comically grandiloquent one—“‘I’m sure that that Miss Parker is a perfectly nice woman,’ and, he says, ‘I have met her, as a matter of fact’—I think she presented him with some award, you know, and she is a very nice woman, but he just thought that...”—Mr. Boman went into silent reflection for a moment—“It’s an aspect of his work that he doesn’t feel is his work?”
Yeah, see, we didn't prep for crazy talk with Cindy Adams' column, today, so, we're not even sure what to say about this. But, those Observer folks speak whack, so you can get the rest of the "how Sarah Jessica Parker ruined Manolo Blahnik's life" story from them.

The complete article here:

http://thedailytransom.observer.com/...he-burden.html

I personally love Christian Louboutin or Vera Wang shoes better. That's just me.

i don't think you're worth a second glance.

19-03-2006
V.I.P.

19-03-2006
army of lovers

Why is getting all twisted about free publicity? Didn't he name or create a shoe for her called the SJP?

19-03-2006
rising star

I too would be pissed if such an awful actress wore my shoes.

19-03-2006
backstage pass

I am quite confused, for me, the show made Blahnik a household name, didn't it?
He made a style named SJP, yeah?

19-03-2006
V.I.P.

Didn't he name a shoe after her?

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by purexelegance
You know, because Sarah Jessica Parker wrote Sex and the City, she was wholly responsible for putting Blahniks on the map. That tramp.
So...Cecil Beaton and Diana Vreeland had nothing to do with the matter? Manolo Blahnik was successful years before that bovid diva could even chew her own cud.

Since the 1970’s, icons with far more beauty and talent than Sarah Jessica Parker have been wearing Manolos—Veruschka! Marge Simpson! Madonna! When the former donned a pair of his mules for a 1991 episode of The Simpsons, Manolo had truly arrived.

If I was an artisan who cared so much for my work that I oversaw every part of the creative process, from the initial sketches to the final shippings, I, too would be pissed to see a face-stretching goat wearing my art on a show about old people having sex. Some people do still have morals, you know, not to mention taste-- the outfits Patricia Fields paired his shoes with were indescribably ugly.

19-03-2006
scenester

P.S. Delicious commentary, Purexelegance. You could write for ELLE.

19-03-2006
tfs star

Although people were wearing his shoes before her, she made him a household name to people who would normally never know who he was.

19-03-2006
trendsetter

Which designer doesn't like free press/publicity... isn't that a good thing? At least I suppose.

Last edited by Mr. Fabulous; 19-03-2006 at 06:52 PM.
19-03-2006
barcode

Let's put it this way, SJP made Manolo a very, very successful man so really these pretentious complaints about Sex and the City ruining his "craft" is utter b.s.

Honestly, some people just run off their mouths. And if it really bothered him that much he could easily have refused to supply Pat Field with the neverending parade of shoes.

Frankly, I think the majority of his shoes are overhyped because a lot of them look very mundane, regardless of the quality.

Last edited by Spike413; 19-03-2006 at 07:44 PM.
19-03-2006
backstage pass

I would also hate someone who prevented me from continuing to bask in obscurity.

As a matter of fact I remember seeing a TV special on star styles where SJ went to Manolo's work studio and tried on tons of shoes. He went on to congratulate her on the success of her show and they were hugs and kisses. Of course, now he changes his tune after he rode the SATC fame train.

19-03-2006
V.I.P.

Id agree, Manolo's for the most part are severly overhyped, they're incredibly BORING, dull. It's always the same thing over and over again, nothing is ever new.

Manolo should consider himself lucky esp when more talented, hipper and more exclusive (lets be honest here, people want exclusivity) like Louboutin, and Hardy...

19-03-2006
Amour Comme Hiver

Ah! The NERVE of SJP for giving this man extra publicty! Just for that, I will go out and buy the gold Jimmy Choo's that I have been eyeing, JUST to please Mr. Blanhik.

19-03-2006
trendsetter

this is the same man that said "for reasons of taste I never look at a completely naked body".
Seems like he takes a bath in his clothes.
these are just arrogant greedy PPl who cannot stant to be humble and appreciative in the midst of success,

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
blahnik, manolo, sjp