new flats rubbing back of ankles raw! - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
16-04-2007
rising star

new flats rubbing back of ankles raw!
this has happened to me with shoes before, and i usually just give up on them. but i just bought these

(www.americaneagleoutfitters.com) and they're really cute and i need beige flats, but when i wear them they rub the skin off the backs of my ankles, above my heels. the first time i wore them i came home with bloody feet!

is there ANYTHING i can do to make them stop doing this? i keep wearing them (sometimes with socks or bandages on the spots that get sore) in hopes of breaking them in, but i'm not sure it'll work

any help will be appreciated!

Last edited by anchored; 16-04-2007 at 10:49 AM.
16-04-2007
Meg
inspired contemplation

i had a pair of marc jacobs shoes that practically tore open the back of my ankles. I had to get these dr. scholls things specifically for healing these types of wounds (which is what they are) and that helps a lot but it took me a long painful time to break them in.

16-04-2007
rising star

but it is possible!

thanks

front row

the best band aid to use is Band Aid Advanced Healing Blister, it feels and looks like second skin and it doesnt come off after a few hours.

16-04-2007
rising star

great, thanks!

Press escape to continue.

To break in new shoes without destroying your feet, try moleskin. You should be able to find it at a pharmacy, camping/hiking/sporting goods store or at the shoe repair shop. There is also a liquid benzoin you can apply to toughen your feet, but it usually has color... appropriate for the Matterhorn but not terribly chic.

Here's a picture of the moleskin pads - they come in all shapes and sizes.

gallery.rei.com

To heal your poor feet quickly, keep your feet cool, dry, and clean. Also, Johnson & Johnson First Aid Cream is a miracle - it is mostly synthetic beeswax. It will take the pain away immediately!

I usually break in shoes around the house so I don't get caught walking barefoot because blisters have developed. I put on thins socks while I'm doing the little break in period at home.

Last edited by SomethingElse; 16-04-2007 at 05:52 PM.
16-04-2007
front row

OR, just try this - it always works for me. Put some sticky tape or masking tape on the back of your heel, works just as well as everything else (better than bandaids IMO)

16-04-2007
breakfast time

This always seems to happen to me with new shoes so I'm glad that there are practical solutions! Thanks a lot for posting them!

17-04-2007
trendsetter

I'm having this problem right now. I just wore my new flats for a couple of hours and my feet are killing me! The back of my ankles are so badly blistered I can't even wear socks! I guess I should get some proper bandaids if I can manage to walk down to the pharmacy! Thanks for the tips!

21-04-2007
trendsetter

this always happens to me, so my routine is:
1. I wear the shoes with thick woolen socks at home, if they are 100% leather I put some water in them before wearing them
2. the first time I wear them all day long I put some baby powder on my feet and band aids at the back of my ankle
3. if they are still wounded, I put on some Bepanthen (or another healing cream) on my feet very thick, socks over it and leave it like this over night (good sideeffect: babysoft feet )

21-04-2007
flaunt the imperfection

to avoid looking just terrible with ANY sort of bandage on your feet...

go the moleskin route..
just cut to size and shape and put the moleskin in the shoe wherever they rub and hurt...

works like a charm...
it's cheap and quick and you don't have to do go through a whole routine just to wear your shoes...

no reason for it really when there are things designed specifically to take the trouble and hurt out of it....

21-04-2007
Day
fashion elite

I can't wear any flats because my feet get so injured -- blisters on almost all of my toes and horrible sores on the heel of my feet.

Of course, I keep trying because I love flats and always hope the next pair will be better.

21-04-2007
windowshopping

They make this sound like the ultimate preventative so I'm definitely going to have to try it:

http://www.invisisole.com/home.htm

Has anyone used it before?

21-04-2007
V.I.P.

I just put those stretchy, water-resistant band-aids on the inside back of the shoes and never had a problem since. And since they're the tough kind of band-aids, they didn't wear off until I washed them and had to take them off.

front row

Try the Hue microfiber slingback liner. They're cut very low but cover enough of your toes to elimiate a lot of blistering, and the bottoms have a non-slip gel coating to keep feet from sliding forward. The clear slingback elastic is comfortable and really helps keep them on. I wear these with everything from Prada slingback pumps to cheapo flats.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ankles, flats, raw, rubbing