How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shoes, Shoes, Shoes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-06-2008
Power to the 99%

^ I feel they might be a bit hot But if the Dolce & Gabbana peeptoes were free for the asking, I'd give it a shot

02-06-2008
backstage pass

I like the Ninewest version.

(ninewest)

02-06-2008
fashion elite

^ i love those!

03-06-2008
tfs star

I earlier prepared a post for the WRONG thread! Sorry. I best tend to remember the oxfords in the mid-late 1990s that were very stylish. I loved femmes wearing loafers, even those with chunky heels or a platform wedge loafer. I tend to think of oxfords as loafers with laces. Pumps are perfectly fine with me whether flat or high-heeled.

But combine oxfords with pumps, and you get oxford pumps! And most look like a terrible job of imbreeding two perfectly-fine shoes. The ones I'd probably like most would be high-heeled wedge oxfords or even oxfords with chunky heels of mid-heel or high-heel length. Stilettos and spike heels are best left to pumps, sandals, and boots. NOT oxfords. And I seriously disapprove of any shoes with open toes or peep toes if they are anything but pumps. I'm sorry. It's rather pointless to try to make EVERY shoe peep-toe. Thank God we don't have peep-toe Nike sneakers or open-toe Winter boots. So in the end, I'd rather be more in tune with "shooties" than oxford pumps.

On the other hand, there WAS one pair of oxford pumps a celebrity wore in a cover picture for People magazine once last year. I think it had a peep-toe design, little laces, and a nice pump design. I think it was a People magazine cover. Just not sure if the celebrity featured was part of "Desperate Housewives" or any other sitcom or movie.

backstage pass

Im thinking about getting those black ones for my dress...

(style.com)

03-06-2008
tfs star

Just bought a pair from ALDO (http://www.aldoshoes.com/eng/storeSe...=US&colorid=95) and they are remarkably comfortable. I'm in love.

03-06-2008
rising star

^ I bought similar ones from Aldo as well:

http://www.aldoshoes.com/eng/storeSe...=CA&colorid=32

Its actually been awhile since I've bought them, and they're still in the box.....unworn..

05-06-2008
Power to the 99%

^ The Nine West really is great. So nice to see them do something wonderful on their own vs a knock-off ...

06-06-2008
Confused & Bewildered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missivtec22 View Post
I like the Ninewest version.

Don't like those at all. They seem to be having an identity crisis and can't decide if they want to be a pump, oxford, slingback, peeptoe, boot, bootie or something else when they grow up.

06-06-2008
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Don't like those at all. They seem to be having an identity crisis and can't decide if they want to be a pump, oxford, slingback, peeptoe, boot, bootie or something else when they grow up.
Ha! I agree.

07-06-2008
tfs star

I second the "identity crisis" deal about these oxford pumps. Only thing is that I don't have extreme hate for these shoes. Again, this goes back to a trial-and-error aspect of fashion. I've seen boots with exposed heels and some kind of open-toe design (which is stupid to me because I think boots are not meant to have open toes or open heel designs). It even goes back to a pair of shoes I've seen in that big "Sex and the City" behind-the-scenes book when one of the characters were wearing these yellow sandals/oxfords with an open heel and open-toe design. Excuse me while I put on my imaginary lab coat and safety goggles... okay. This is the experiment planned for oxford pumps:

make stylish oxfords -> make stylish pumps -> merge the two into one design

So make a stylish oxford shoe and some nice pumps. Then fool around with the design. To some designers, if you can make a stylish oxford shoes, try making them with a slingback design or even a peep-toe or open-toe design to offer a diversion in shoe style. Here's the thing. Slingbacks and open-toes of any kind work great for pumps... but not oxfords. And if it's not going to work for an oxford, then it would be a case of "what were you thinking?" with oxford pumps. (takes off lab coat and safety goggles)

I can really think of some kind of exception as to what kind of oxford pumps I wouldn't mind getting if I were a femme. I think they have to be high-heel wedge oxford pumps. I'd prefer a black pair of these hypothetical pumps. Because of my apparent love of chunky designs, I like a good chunky toe design for ample room and comfort for my feet as well as an aggressive look. I'm thinking of something I could wear with a nice career outfit and chance wearing with bootcut jeans, wide-leg jeans, or widely-flared jeans. Maybe even to try with a flowing floor-length skirt or dress. No slingback, no open-heel, no open-toe. Just a closed shoe all around that's every bit as wearable and feminine as a cute pair of high-heel sandals or high-heel pumps. Having the shoe with a platform design would be optional.

That would be a dream pair of oxfords for me if I were a lady. And that concludes another detailed post from me.

the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginielle View Post
I think oxfords with shorts might be too trendy for me, but I could probably pull 'em off with a dress. Thanks for the input!
I know what you're saying. I don't think I'd combine shorts and oxfords for that very reason, but pairing them with a dress would be fine. In fact, lately I've been looking into a pair for summer because of this thread!

scenester

These from Aldo are kind of cute, but is it just me or are they dirty looking?

http://www.aldoshoes.com/eng/storeSe...=US&colorid=95

08-06-2008
the crying of humanity

No, it's definitely not just you! It's a relatively nice shoe otherwise, so I can't think of why they'd ruin it by covering it with fake dirt (if it's real, we've got a problem on our hands).

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanutbutter View Post
No, it's definitely not just you! It's a relatively nice shoe otherwise, so I can't think of why they'd ruin it by covering it with fake dirt (if it's real, we've got a problem on our hands).

People buy new jeans that look dirty/worn don't they?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
oxford, pumps