How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shoes, Shoes, Shoes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-03-2004
V.I.P.

Of course, some shoes aren't meant to be polished. As for the rest?

23-03-2004
slightly dizzy

I voted "this month", but that doesn't mean I neglect my shoes. I have some pairs to choose from and I try to make sure I don't leave the house looking too shabby...

Soviet Camaro

I wore out most of the ones that need to be polished. I have deliberately been buying ones that don't need it. I got really tired of the cleaning/oiling (in rainy season)/polishing chore. I have one pair that gives me a scuffed accusing look every time I wear them.

& b

I never get caught wearing dirty shoes, or flip flops... only my hi Tops that I love them dirty

V.I.P.

I was in a conversation with someone the other day who said "People don't polish their shoes anymore" and I thought I'd check in with the fashion flock to see if that's really true. I last polished a pair of shoes two days ago. I do them myself but always have my boots professionally polished before putting them to sleep for the summer.

Proponent of Plaid

I polish my shoes monthly and waterproof my boots biweekly in the winter.

Granted I have two pair of boots and one pair of shoes, so it is not like it is an arduous task.

trendsetter

My boots are snakeskin - which i clean with waterproof spray and babywipes

24-03-2004
trendsetter

I said this year - as all of my 'good' shoes are stored in boxes, i don't feel the need to take them out for a polish,unless i plan on wearing them. I'm a stay-at-home mum and live in my Nike shox trainers, which i wipe over when needed. I drive everywhere i go, so its in the car -out the car -in the house etc. My childrens shoes are cleaned at least once a week, depending on the weather. My husband takes care of his own shoes and cleans them on a day-to-day basis

02-03-2005
V.I.P.

okay... reviving this old thread... Do you guys polish your designer shoes? What lengths do you take to protect your Manolos, Marnis, Louboutins, whatevers?

(Maybe this thread should be renamed Shoe Care... hint hint mods! )

in my November 2004 issue of Self magazine, there's a little section on shoe polish..

Got 9 Minutes?
Save your shoes.

Cobble together a footwear-care kit with the help of Tony Pecorella, owner of Modern Leather Goods Repair Shop in New York City. He recommends:

BLACK AND BROWN POLISH - Look for pro polish from leather experts like Meltonian and Angelus.
COLORED POLISH - Check for a color match by dabbing on the inside of the heel. For pastels, see a pro.
CLEAR NEUTRAL POLISH - It protects leather and adds sheen.
CHEESECLOTH - To apply polish
BUFFER BRUSH - For a glossy finish.

What do you guys think about this advice? And where is a good place to buy shoe care supplies, other than the supermarket? I am namely looking for clear polish right now.

02-03-2005
V.I.P.

^ I get my supplies from my local shoe repair man. Look up shoe repair in your web yellow pages for one near you. I've also seen polish at wal-mart, target, etc.

02-03-2005
rising star

ABSOLUTELY! Actually my hubby does it when he polishes his dress shoes which is probably 2 or 3 times a week.

He pays special attention to my good leather boots because I wear them in the snow. They get polished every week or two and also get sprayed with a silicone protectant.

I'm wearing boots that are as old as 4 years "because" they have been taken care of. (And yes they are still in style because I only buy classic shoes and boots.)

02-03-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoCalledPrep
COLORED POLISH - Check for a color match by dabbing on the inside of the heel. For pastels, see a pro.
Whoa! Don't do this to your Louboutins!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
polishing, poll, shoe