How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shoes, Shoes, Shoes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-06-2007
Noblesse oblige

You are welcome - hope you will find something nice!

16-06-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
^^ That makes no sense.

There aren't as many large vintage shoes available now because there weren't as many made then. Women's feet were smaller then for some reason, just as there weren't as many tall women then as there are now.

Genetics or evolution, take your pic, but women's sizes have changed quite a bit in 50 years.

Not to attack you or anything, but I honestly do not think women's feet have 'evolved' over the past 50 years. This reminds me so much of the statement that women 'back then' (ie. before 1900) were just shorter, skinnier, and all around just smaller. NOT TRUE. I could show you a bajillion Carte De Vistes and dugeurrotypes that show just the opposite. And the reason that the majority of clothes we have left from those times are small ones is because fabric was expensive and as styles changed women would just rework whatever fabric they could get their hands on...and there was naturally more fabric to work with from the larger sized outfits.

Anywho, Is anyone here good at dating shoes? I have 2 pairs and have no idea how to date them. I've already looked on The Costumer's Manifesto online, but I get confused... I'll try and post pictures today

16-06-2007
front row

^^ hmm ok after thinking about how much the average standard of living has increased along with better nutrition I suppose it may be possible that in the past 50 years people have been able to grow more -larger feet and all. And I don't know everything, so who knows

But here are the 2 pairs I have, The first is a peachy silk, the silk is shattering so they're obviously old enough to have been made back when they used metals in silk dyes (which puts it in late 19th early 20th).

And the second pair have never been worn...dead stock I think someone called it. And judging by their size on my foot I'd say they're a 7 1/2 or an 8.

Anyone know how old they may be??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resized pink silk 1.JPG (34.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg resized pink silk 2.JPG (40.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg resized green 1.JPG (27.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg resized green 2.JPG (22.2 KB, 1 views)

16-06-2007
Noblesse oblige

Very nice shoes! The second pair is from the 40's.

16-06-2007
front row

SandraJH - those green ones are so beautiful!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
shoes, vintage