How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shoes, Shoes, Shoes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-12-2010
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underage View Post
I've been wearing heels for ages, and I still look silly walking in them. Anyone know why some people can wear stripper shoes like they're sneakers, and others can barely wear 3" heels? I wonder if it has to do with the shape of the foot/toes.
I think I read in another thread on here that people with larger feet can walk better in higher heels, which sounds correct to me. Too bad for me, because my feet stopped growing in the second grade, and will likely remain a size 5 women's all my life.
Could be another reason why models are tall; because taller people have larger feet, and therefore can walk in higher heels...

23-12-2010
windowshopping

good primer!

http://www.wr2bam.com/2010/03/closet...igh-heels.html

windowshopping

Also on Glamour.com, I read that taping your third and fourth toe together shifts the weight to another part of your foot so it's more comfortable. I didn't believe it until I tried it!

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretqueens View Post
..apart from the tip about walking with your feel directly in front of each other. that barely looks good on the catwalk..

27-12-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieTao View Post
I think I read in another thread on here that people with larger feet can walk better in higher heels, which sounds correct to me. Too bad for me, because my feet stopped growing in the second grade, and will likely remain a size 5 women's all my life.
Could be another reason why models are tall; because taller people have larger feet, and therefore can walk in higher heels...
I wear 8-8.5, sometimes larger! My feet are narrow though. Maybe my feet just have an odd shape.

27-12-2010
backstage pass

Practice on wooden floors and kitchen floors. That way you get the feel of them and won't slip when you go out.

Start out with 2 inch heels and work your way up, until you find your limit.

Try those Dr.Sholl gel insoles for heels. They work wonders for me.

28-12-2010
rising star

There're comfortable shoes and uncomfortable. Yes, heels are uncomfortable in general, but not aways. If your feet fill up the shoe, there's no problem!

28-12-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxinthesnow View Post
I actually find it easier to walk in high heels than flats! I am always tripping or stubbing a foot in flats.
Old post, I know, but it's exactly the same with me. It's actually weird because I have very small feet so I can't explain it to myself why I always trip over them

Unlike most other people that posted here I didn't start with kitten heels. Does anyone remember those godawful high block heeled canvas sneakers everyone used to have in the early 90's? Well, I was 8 years old when I got a pair of them. The heel was around 3in and being the crazy child I was I'd always play Chinese jump rope when wearing them. My mother cringed but I was very stubborn and there was no way I'd wear less "trendy" shoes outside. Anyways, I've always had at least one pair of high heeled shoes ever since then and I got a lot of training over the years, haha. By the time I was a teenager I didn't find it hard to walk nicely in them anymore. I do wear flats more often at the moment (I love flat boots) but I'll never get over how amazing it feels to be wearing very tall and sexy high heels

28-12-2010
rising star

I can't see what the "high block heeled canvas sneakers are", but they seem like fun.
Are they these shoes that the Spice Girls used to wear ?
Could you post a pic ?

28-12-2010
V.I.P.

^Trust me, they were hideous. They looked similar to these and these, but even uglier
But now that you mention it, the Spice Girls Buffalo platform sneakers trend was even worse, haha.

29-12-2010
rising star

Now I remember those shoes !
actually they remind me a lot these boots with fur we can see everywhere right know. They look more like hiking shoes with heels actually.

31-12-2010
front row

You can train your feet to walk in high heels by simply sitting on a high-ish surface and pointing your toes, swinging your legs so you can feel your calf and feet muscles working.
That should get your muscles used to it to an extent.
Other than that try wearing high heels at home.

31-12-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlalamode View Post
Other than that try wearing high heels at home.
I have thought about it but decided that my wife would give me funny looks-------------------Oh, sorry, wrong forum!

31-12-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraiseap View Post
I have thought about it but decided that my wife would give me funny looks-------------------Oh, sorry, wrong forum!

02-01-2011
front row

A recent revelation:

I have been wearing a pair of 4.5 inch ankle boots with a wedge heel for a few months now, which I am contemplating quitting due to sudden foot pain. After not wearing them for two weeks, going back to them felt really strange, because I hadnt realized just how much pressure they were putting on my ankles and calfs. Immediately my feet felt as if I was walking a tightrope, and the muscles thereabouts began to scream again.

My conclusion - In the past I have generally worn platform based heels, which create much less of a 'slope' for the foot to rest on: sort of like the rise is less steep if the toe has thicker base. the boots that had been crucifying me had no platform, just a 1cm sole beneath the toe, rising to a 4.5 platform at the back. I wonder if this is worth considering? Like perhaps try a platform based shoe first so that the pressure isn't so great on the feet.

I am actually really upset about the boots, because they were the most stylish and elegant boots of all time! Oh well.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
heels, high, walking