How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shoes, Shoes, Shoes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-10-2008
V.I.P.

Winter Boots
I've hardly experienced winter, and now I'm in a cold cold cold state and I need to buy winter boots.

However, I have no knowledge of boots or how they work. What kind of material do I get? Do I need a pair of tall and short?

Anyone has advice and boot recommendations? I don't want to dump over $120 over a pair if that's possible. And of course, I want to look chic and not like an Eskimo.

But satisfaction brought it back

09-10-2008
V.I.P.

for sloshing around in snow? you might want to go to a tack (riding) shop and look into winter riding boots. there is a brand called ariat and another called mountain horse that are insulated, waterproof and come in tall and short versions, many styles to choose from. they last forever, dont cost a fortune and are super warm.

09-10-2008
fashion insider

eternity goddess, i m experiencing the same problem... haha hope someone can help

12-10-2008
front row

Check out La Canadienne boots, they are stylish and waterproof.

http://www.lacanadienne.ca/

You can get them at Zappos, probably other places too. I wear them all winter in Toronto, even in deep snow and slush and they are great (I recommend knee-high for that, of course). Whether my pants are tucked in or not, my feet stay dry.

13-10-2008
Meg
inspired contemplation

ooh lucky thanks for the riding boots tip! I'm off to check those out!

Last edited by Meg; 13-10-2008 at 02:33 PM.
13-10-2008
backstage pass

i've been wearing a couple different pairs of riding boots for the past few years because i go to school wear it rains and snows about 9 months of the year and they work great. also check out roper boots if you want a shorter shaft, and you can get for around $50 and they are made to last! also i suggest a half a size bigger in some boots in case you want to wear thick socks for warmth.

13-10-2008
Meg
inspired contemplation

yeah it really depends how your city/town where you live handles the snow. I've got a pair of Hunter riding boots (but with a rubber boot and a canvas shaft) that I plan for wearing when it's slushy since the city I live in hasn't heard of snow plows, and instead throws salt everywhere which creates a lot of slush (and also ruins leather shoes with all the salt). So I plan on wearing those when it's that type of weather with a thick sock. If your city is good and plows the snow, than you should look for something for warmth (and grip) and not necessarily for getting through big snow banks.

13-10-2008
backstage pass

http://www.bootbarn.com/navigate/women

this is a great site for all kinds of boots, especially ones that will take a beating

13-10-2008
rising star

Fashion Grrrrl thanks for the tip. I'm in Toronto too and winter boots have always
been a nightmare for me. Since we're in them for about 5 months, it's important to
keep feet dry, warm and still look cute!

13-10-2008
front row

You're welcome!

13-10-2008
The future is stupid

I also like La Canadienne boots... they are really waterproof & keep your feet toasty warm.

13-10-2008
rising star

Thanks MissMag. Both of you have convinced me to check it out.

14-10-2008
front row

I'll be wearing campy Sorel boots. They've become really popular, at least here in Toronto but I used to wear them as a kid and they were the warmest thing ever but the key is, they have great TRACTION, too. It often not only snows but becomes really icy here...

tfs star

Arctic boots can be overkill when it's cold, especially when it's not bitterly cold like in Sweden, Switzerland, the American Midwest, or the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Some just find the most monsterous pair of boots trying too hard to show them off while tucking them into jean legs or with a mini skirt + leggings, tights, or longjohns. A general kind of Winter boot I've liked seeing are those that look sleek at the base and have this cuffed look at the top. A look from this past cold weather time was this femme at my community college. She wore a furry almond-colored coat, a short or mid-length purple dress, and some lovely, furry, commoner-type, knee-high boots that matched the coat. This is the Shoes forum, but I love a pair of Winter boots that match beautifully to come up with a lovely cold weather look. Jeans tucked into boots doesn't do it for me if it's not that cold or miserable to walk around in.

Any Winter boots along the way of Mukluks or anything like that should be avoided completely. Find a pair of Winter boots that are functional as well as stylish. Once you find that pair of boots and can put looks around those boots, you'll be the hottest-looking fashionista on the coldest of days!

i'm almost ready..

good timing for this thread...i'm off to canada on sunday for a few months and am dreading the winter footwear problem.. i bought a really cool pair of brown adidas boots back in the day when i lived in the great white north and they're still in great shape but no longer really 'me'...i'm going to check out the boots you suggested luckyme, as well as some others in this thread..

please keep them coming!.. my poor little aussie feet...i'm already dreading it.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boots, winter