How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-06-2013
windowshopping

90's!!!!!! Meg Ryan is coming.

17-06-2013
fashion elite

I hope that doesn't mean Versace craziness getting her heyday back

01-10-2013
scenester

90's grunge So glad it's come back!

24-10-2013
front row

I like some of 90s. I liked platforms. Not so much guys' grunge. Mstly it seemed like 80s was dress up and 90s was dress down. It was time it was first a fad and cool to be a lesbian. Not so much for guys ever although thers was sort of 80s. What ow is resergance of what is called "body-con" dresses of late 80s and 90s was back then called "fXXX me" dresses. Ones that took forefer to get on tey were so tight one just pulls p the skirt... I love gothicness of 4 way strech patent and latex. Bout latex was very expensive. A latex maxi skirt was $250 and that was a lot of money in mid 90s. Here is a store to check out.
http://store.baroness.com/women/
I went to several fetish parties back then in NYC, DC and Houston. It was mostly rich middle age posiers wearing stuff not allowed when teenager (also not available). It was for for a bit but very superficial. It all came to screaching halt after 9-11. 9-11 changed how people looked at life- no more life is a party forever. I remember once in Vogue some models wore plastic trash bags as skirts so I put my GF in one. Also dry cleaners bag dresses that were transparent. Take a wedding gown length bag and pull up bttom about half way. Usually the shoulder have a removable perferated piece on each side of the hanger hole. LAy the bag down flat and cut a U shape not to big to stick head throough. Cut holes just under top on edge for arm homes. Get a 3/4 " roll of Scotch Magic transparent tape. Put dress on person weaing it. Put tape in straight piecesfor neck hole. You shoud have made hole small and now tape outline a bit larger for comefort. Take sharp pair of sissors and cut excess plastick bag. It does better to cut small hole add taps and then remve excess. You will thn do same for arm holes. Use 2 pieces of tape overlapping so combines is about 1 1/4" wide. run down shoulder seams from neck hole to arm hole, This just strengthens it. Now so it does not look like a bag grab bag at waist on both sides. Bunch them up evenly. You can ty to fold but does not work so well. Take about 6- " tape and put over bunch. Then do other side. The result will make above waist fitted and skirt part balloon out sort of like a mid evil dress. puton hels and trim bottom excess off. Then put tape around bottom of skirt. This does 2 things~ it makes bottom stronger and it gives a bit of shape and stiffness so it billows out more than just hangs styraight. You can make hem any length. Maxi skirt to ankles is more amazing because youhave to get wedding gown and it is hemmed to person. if you do this right you wu\ill have to tear dress to get off. Wear what ever or nothing you want- bra panties or bikni or even a camisole and matching tap pants. Just for fun you can try some spray paint.

One thing neat is that it traps air so it is warm.Like if you go to club and too cold to wear a bikini you cold wear this clear dress and be warm. Sorry I don't have any photos handy.

A trash bag skirt is similar. Cut the bottom of bag. Put tape arund bottom Put on and pull draw tring tight and tie...

once you do it once or twice if you wear same height heels you can measure the dress after it is finished. Next time go a head and trimbottom tto length you want and put tape on hem. Lay dress down and taping is easier than while on someone sort of. IIRC correctly in Voge the models were wearing the black bags as a skirt with some kind of white lacy shirt/top, black trash bag skits and studded motor cycle ankle boots.

24-10-2013
front row

Here are photos of bag skirts.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ts&FORM=IGRE#a

With some things I was like some of y'all 90s was not as good as 80s except for huge shoulder pads. They were bad in my opinion.

Anyway check out the images some of skirts are really fancy with ruffles.

That was lke when men stated wearing skirts for a while. I worked in downtown Washington, DC asnd there was a pretty big Barns and Nobles and there was a guy that wore thisfull shaped ~ A line mmaxi skirt wit t-shirts and Dr. Martins. Yall would have tossed tomatoes at him. He was ablut at least 15 pounds over weight, had short dark hair and either mustache or beard. He definately looked like he drank a lot of beer. He would have worn a plaid kilt and looked like a Scotsman, but this look was a miss. However, I suppose where I got idea to wear my GF's long tube sj\kirt to "mixed croud clubs"- gay clubs with straights also, but I wore a crew neck black body suit fom the limited and long tube skirt and flat riding boots with a wide elastic belt. It was cute. My hair was a little long and a bit curly and I was 5'11 and about 160 or so. So I did not have a beer gut like the other dude.

Try out the plastic bag clothes...

24-10-2013
front row

PS.... My GF and I got married in 94 so next spring we will have been married 20 years. Time flies when you are having fun and the older you get the faster it goes by...

So I guess thet makes me sort of an olg geezer...

03-12-2013
front row

I think I still can't deal with a 90s comeback in fashion… But I like when they play 90s music in bars and clubs

V.I.P.

I was a kid in the 90s and I missed out on most of the trends, since they were very body-conscious, and my mom wouldn't even let me wear them. The empire waists, the clingy satin and crushed velvet, the slip dresses. The crop tops. I spent most of the decade in high-waisted jeans and a turtleneck. Definitely not doing that again.

backstage pass

I'm scared of the inflow of jelly sandals and tattoo chokers that are about to happen.

Prepare yourselves.

16-01-2014
front row

I feel its sort of ridiculous the way kids are dressing up as if we were in the actual 90s.. I mean they barely experienced it! it feels like a costume and not someone expressing a sense of personal style. I guess i'm getty old and grumpy...

16-01-2014
V.I.P.

^donīt get me started on todayīs youth "grunge"

16-01-2014
V.I.P.

I loved the 90s so much and had the time of my life that I don't mind if we experience it as a funny cartoon every 5 years. I loved everything... my beauty standard (reason why my body perception must be all kinds of screwed) was Milla for L'Oreal , the moment I spotted a new ad say metallic blue eyeshadow and metallic blue lipstick, I had to do it, so there I was rollerblading at age 11 hair split into 20 micro chignons and a metallic blue face looking like an absolute moron. I loved the 90s.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
I loved the 90s so much and had the time of my life that I don't mind if we experience it as a funny cartoon every 5 years. I loved everything... my beauty standard (reason why my body perception must be all kinds of screwed) was Milla for L'Oreal , the moment I spotted a new ad say metallic blue eyeshadow and metallic blue lipstick, I had to do it, so there I was rollerblading at age 11 hair split into 20 micro chignons and a metallic blue face looking like an absolute moron. I loved the 90s.
lol thats exactly me in the fourth grade. I had a baby blue nail polish from Hard Candy and a dark blue metallic lipstick i wore to soda discos. Don't get me wrong i LOVE the nineties as well

front row

The '90s were one of my favorite decades, so I'm kind of excited about this. (No, that's a lie. I am not "kind of" excited. I am extra super duper excited. After all these years, my chokers will finally be free to see the light of day again!)

Having said that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritze View Post
I feel its sort of ridiculous the way kids are dressing up as if we were in the actual 90s.. I mean they barely experienced it! it feels like a costume and not someone expressing a sense of personal style. I guess i'm getty old and grumpy...

I think I know what you mean. The '90s, the first time around, were an organic reaction to the excess and structure of the '80s. You could see exactly how the style of the decade evolved based on what came before it. There was the influence of grunge, and the sleek minimalism, and when you looked at it, you understood why. The clothes were an expression of something real that was happening in the culture.

This time around, it's like, "Okay, we did the '60s, the '70s, and the '80s! Now it's time for the '90s!" No one understands what it was even about or why we're doing it again. There's no real organic reason for it to come back right now beyond the fact that it's next in the series and everyone is just following along like sheep. Are we going to do the '00s next, too, even though they were only five years ago?

Or maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy, too.

21-04-2014
V.I.P.

did you guys notice the comeback in fashion photography as well? eg recent shoots with Daria W and the new issue of Vogue Paris. I'm hoping to see more eds like the ones on The Face

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
90s, comeback