How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-12-2007
the crying of humanity

I don't know about you all, but I was sporting The Lion King shirts in the 1990s, not the clothing pictured above.

31-12-2007
V.I.P.

^it's only natural if you were a baby in the 90s. :p

V.I.P.

So cute to see guys dress like this
I think it's not as bright and colourful for clothing now
I do see so much print and pattern in sweatshirts (hoodies?)
Some even have metallic paint on it

31-12-2007
Procrastinator.

This is what I wore/accessorized with at various points during the '90s:

Jnco jeans
Doc Martens (I also had a generic pair of combat boots that I spray-painted in blue glitter)
Flannel shirts
Airwalk sneakers (which I eventually covered in duct tape just for the look of it)
Ball chain necklaces
My dad's old clothes from the late '70s and early '80s (men's dress pants, button-down shirts and a big brown leather peacoat-cut jacket with huge lapels)
Vintage '70s polo shirts
Vintage '70s polyester buttondowns in crazy prints (Billy Corgan from Smashing Pumpkins used to wear these frequently, and I adored him)
Skate brand t-shirts and hoodies (Alien Workshop, Birdhouse, Hookups)
A vintage Charlie Brown metal lunchbox covered in stickers, white-out and nail polish
A Jansport backpack with band names drawn all over it in white-out and metallic marker
Band t-shirts (Smashing Pumpkins, again!)
Ringer t-shirts
T-shirts with brand logos (Wonder Bread, Reese's, etc.)
Nail polish in black, blue, green, purple or Hard Candy pastels, like robin's egg blue, or I'd just paint my nails with white-out
Black hair dye or pieces dyed with Kool-Aid or Jello (I was never brave enough to do my whole head in Manic Panic, but I knew a lot of people who did)
Rubber bracelets
Cargo pants
Suspenders worn hanging down
Homemade band shirts (plain Hanes t-shirt with band name written on it with fabric marker)
Homemade patches (drawing on a scrap of fabric that was then pinned to a hoodie or jacket)
Saddle shoes with a huge chunky sole and Doc Martens brogues

I realize this all sounds like guy's clothing, but as I remember it, many of my friends were into the grunge thing and no one dressed very feminine. This stuff is all mid-'90s, mostly.

The late '90s was a bit different -- I started dressing more like a girl, wearing lots of black sheer fabrics, long parachute skirts in techno fabrics, black chunky strappy sandals (Steve Madden was huge), slim pullover hoodie t-shirts, leopard print Sanuk flip-flops, plain cotton shirts with bell sleeves, cargo cropped pants, hoodie dresses, long wrap skirts in hippie prints, asymmetrical tops. Pants under skirts were also big then (a lot of stores sold a black skirt connected to black cropped pants), but I never wore them. That was when jeans moved from baggy to flared, and I also wore colorful socks with Birkenstocks in the winter! A lot of girls liked chunky white sneakers with stacked soles, but I always hated those.

http://www.shopstyle.com/users/hboogie
31-12-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBoogie View Post

I realize this all sounds like guy's clothing, but as I remember it, many of my friends were into the grunge thing and no one dressed very feminine. This stuff is all mid-'90s, mostly.

The late '90s was a bit different
I agree. but for me the spirit of the 90's was at the beginning, I guess it was the only era when there was less divide in men's and girls clothes. Looking back it was sort of nice, there was no really evident sexual exposure. I remember wearing the exact same trousers as my boyfriend, not in a cute sort of "i want to be fashionable" way like now, those where really the trousers that I went and bought everytime.

I wore Converse with everything, and I was a big fan of surfwear.

Do I want the 90's to came back? Of course not. The start of the decade particularly was a special time that is very difficult to recreate, those clothes more than in any other era need a context, without this context they are nothing. We will always see 90's inspirations, but total looks like the one we recreated with the 60's and 70's are almost impossible to bring back.

Well the end of the 90s where just awful, like the start of the 2000s also were in my opinion, lets just forget them.

02-01-2008
V.I.P.

i love the 90s.
it's good to be influenced and not to copy, since too much of the 90s will just be.. the 90s. haha that didn't make any sense!

03-01-2008
tfs star

^totally makes sense. its like other eras, they come back but they do not come exactly in the way they were. i can see the influence on the runways but it can never be exactly the sames as in the 90s. that would just be copying. good thing though that there is lots of 90s clothes on fleamarkets and vintage shops for us to get the authentic look.

03-01-2008
?

I don't think I'm ready for a 90's comeback.. I just get too nostalgic :p

tfs star

Imagine that early 2000's are coming sooner than you think. Just think about all those lovely platform shoes and fake leather pants. ewwwwwww... I think 90s is at least a bit more tolerable fashion era. Some very nice and simple fashions evolved then as well as grunge..

03-01-2008
?

^^ when I think of mainstream 90's fashion, I think of leather pants and platforms! I think of all the ugly clothes I loved as a child
I like grunge personally but as a fashion trend I find it boring and overdone.
I wouldn't mind a little 90's minimalism comeback but I'm just not ready for it to be all over the streets again...

V.I.P.

90's rock...2000 was horrible....viva la grunge, viva la MJ!

www.thegirllovesmj.blogspot.com
03-01-2008
trendsetter

This thread is so interesting. I didn't think there was much to 90's fashion but a lot of what people are mentioning seems familiar. For the early 90s I was a child and wore leggings and sweatshirts Or legging and large tees. The leggings were often a colorful horizontal stripe that matched the top and the top had a screen print embellished with ribbon or buttons of a cat or a girl or something. And usually I had a scrunchie that coordinated too. Also I loved Laura Ashley dresses and romper things. And Esprit was my favorite brand which I called "sprit" pronouncing the "T". Then Limited too was the store from like 3rd to 5th grade and my friends and I would shop all the time for matching waffle henley shirts, sweatshirts with plaid block lettering, flannel button-downs to wear not over a t-shirt but buttoned up with jeans.

Then in 6th grade the 70's were back and I bought flared jeans and wore spaghetti tanks over coordinating tees. Jeans also had racer stripes down the side. Then I started shopping at goodwill and thrift stores or one-of-a-kind things. I think that was inspired by my older brother who was very "punkish" and never bought mall stuff. After that it's hard to describe because it's when I began to try to find personal style and would be all in black and sleek one day, completely prepped out in J.crew the next, and like a wannabe hipster the third.

I do remember my older brother was distinctly grunge in the earlier part and punk in the later part of the 90s.

tfs star

can you and I get together and just ban all this 80s --> 90s nostalgia already! it was tacky then + remains so. thank god for grunge that wiped all that bad holdover 80s style off the map (you know what I mean, plenty of examples in this thread!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny_boho View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the 90's NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Even worse than the 80's!!!

03-01-2008
windowshopping

I really dont want to see this

04-01-2008
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma peel View Post
can you and I get together and just ban all this 80s --> 90s nostalgia already! it was tacky then + remains so. thank god for grunge that wiped all that bad holdover 80s style off the map (you know what I mean, plenty of examples in this thread!)
but grunge started at the very start of the 90s...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
90s, comeback