How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-01-2008
scenester

think of all the interesting ways you can wear a Ghost dress....

16-01-2008
rising star

who doesn't love early 90s!

my love is the hip hop scene around that time. I wish I was teen in the early 90s. The hip hop look is what i love. Mix it with some bright colors, but do it tastefully and it looks gorgeous.

i found a crazy colored adidas jacket from the thrift store that fit perfectly and they go well with this Michael Jackson shirt that says, "i am bad" haha, with my acid skinnies, and old school nikes. Heavenly!!... i get compliments all the time. I may need to post a picture.

Last edited by mcnuwave; 16-01-2008 at 02:57 PM.
16-01-2008
tfs star

All I can say about the '90s is... at least it beats brown-nosing the '80s! I think Drew Barrymore was really cute when I remembered her in the 1990s. Everything from her lovely belly (only Christina Aguilera's was better) to that "popular" appearance on The Late Show with David Letterman where she was on David's desk when her... okay. Won't go too further. Staying on the topic of women's midsections, I think ladies probably weren't afraid to wear something to show off their bellies. Even at the middle school I was promoted to the 9th Grade from, there were some days when I noted some ladies who didn't mind showing their stomach. We have to wear uniforms. One of my fellow 8th Graders came in with a crop top that exposed a good deal of her belly. Another friend of mine usually worn tops that went down to about the waist or so, meaning that she could be raising up her shirt for her midriff to be shown if she were adjusting her hair or something. Most people thought of showing off the belly as "showing skin." It was often considered an aftermath of when a much more sane Britney Spears came off with her hit song "Baby Hit Me One More Time" or something like that. Recording artist and actress star of "Moesha," Brandy Norwood, was one of the ones usually suggestive of showing her navel. I think she said it would make her grandmother disappointed for her belly to be exposed in print or pictures. I necessarily don't agree or subscribe that showing off the belly is just as foul as showing off the breasts or some other parts of the body. I usually think it's part of a lady showing off the beautiful body she was blessed with. People may not see it that way, but it was a kind of style of the 1990s that I've liked. You wear cropped tops for a reason- to expose your belly and perhaps an interesting back tattoo if you have one. Nowadays, cropped tops are used simply to be worn over longer garments. You still have ladies in shorter tops, just not much of any blatant bellage (showing of the belly). You'll still see a little of a lady's belly exposed while she walks, but not of any cropped tops. I always considered the belly to be my favorite part of a woman's body. Everything has to accentuate and look stylish. If one lady chooses to do something like show off a navel piercing or something, I think it adds some appeal. I just don't immediately think of any suggestive undertones when a lady does such a thing.

A lesson from the 1990s for me was that innocence can be cute. I thought about how a lady could have a white shirt, some black pants, white socks, and black mary janes. It was a classic look for me and still remains a cute combination for ladies. I again talked about the school girl look. I'm probably not going to go to the level of where it looks more like an exotic dancer deal when someone older tries out the school girl look.

Something I may or may not have mentioned from my previous post was stretch pants for ladies. The appeal was that these were stylish pants with flared legs. Everything from chunky sneakers to the cutest boots or shoes looked best in these. A variant of such stretch pants were those Dickies pants that had the five-pocket jean look. Couldn't ask for too much more if you were at the mall trying to get guys to turn their heads to admire your beauty or if you want to look good for your friends.

Most of you notice that I don't regard the early 1990s as being a totally fashionable. I considered most of those earlier 1990s times to just be a slow progression towards moving forwards away from the annoying fad known as the '80s (even though I was born in 1983 with my birthday passing on Tuesday). I consider most early '90s fashion to be unfathomably bad for ladies. Everything from off-color dresses to God-knows-what. I even remember low-heel pumps with pearls on them. I didn't particularly hate it, but I'd hate this to make a comeback. I can't really think of too much to say that I'd want to see make a comeback from the early 1990s. I'm more about mid-1990s to 2000.

17-01-2008
fashion insider

I was into SERIOUS african prints and body suits in the 90s. I'm actually looking forward to wearing bodysuits, though.

TWITTER:
17-01-2008
& b

^ omfg fierce bodysuits

those heels should make a comeback, gucci made them so big back in the 90's and they were mmm mmm mmmm

trendsetter

I love bodysuits!!Im very happy to see them in the stores.I gotta buy a bunch of 'em!!

20-01-2008
fashion elite

Yeah i loved body suits too, in fact still have some i've been saving for their comeback.

I've been watching friends re-runs recently and i have to say theres not much about their clothes that really makes me excited about the 90's style.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstarshine View Post
Yeah i loved body suits too, in fact still have some i've been saving for their comeback.

I've been watching friends re-runs recently and i have to say theres not much about their clothes that really makes me excited about the 90's style.
to me, there is nothing in that show that could "comeback". (haha jennifer a hairstyle anyone), b/c the clothing was so generic. tees, sweaters, slacks, that's all....boring...but really good show though!!

I want me some COLOR BLOCK!!!!!

21-01-2008
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarina View Post
I am wondering if we will see the certain 90's heels returning. They look slim from the side and wide from behind. Do you know which I mean? I really dislike them.

I actually found really cute vintage YSL shoes which have similar but opposite way of the heel. They are wide on the side and narrow from behing. They were only 6 euros, such a bargain! I love them. However, I dont like the ones you are talking about either..

21-01-2008
downtown girl uptown life

I have still have a soft spot for my NaNa 'poleclimber' boots, but I could really let 97% of the fashion influence go. Much of it was pretty dull (florals and such). But some of the music continues to be truly amazing. Soundgarden, Nirvana, Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jr., Pavement, Alice In Chains, Radiohead: OK Computer...Good stuff.

Last edited by JetSetGo!; 21-01-2008 at 08:34 AM.
21-01-2008
trendsetter

I keep watching old episodes of AbFab and suddenly Edina's outfits are quite fresh.

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSetGo! View Post
I have still have a soft spot for my NaNa 'poleclimber' boots, but I could really let 97% of the fashion influence go. Much of it was pretty dull (florals and such). But some of the music continues to be truly amazing. Soundgarden, Nirvana, Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jr., Pavement, Alice In Chains, Radiohead: OK Computer...Good stuff.
I agree the early 90s had much much better music than anything that is created nowdays, and at least was original, something that cannot of the stuff this new artists produce.

21-01-2008
backstage pass

how about the Smashing Pumpkins to be included on that pretty good list of alternative 90s music...?

and i wouldn't slight contemporary music. Top 40 in any decade sucks for the most part......and a lot of those bands listed especially "grunge"/alternative are rooted in Classic Rock and Heavy Metal of the 1970s and Shoegazer, Indie, and "Post-punk" of the 1980s.
...nothing is original.

about 1990s style?
i'm remembering now--because of the bodysuit talk a few posts earlier...I wasn't a fan of the club wear (dee-lite, rupaul...) but it'd be fun to see some of that stuff around...very kitsch 1960s gogo--the party flipside of a more straightforward 1960s revival that i really wouldn't mind coming back again...and it sort of did musically w/ The Strokes, White Stripes, Hives in 2001 (but the 1990s music equivalent was Britpop--Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Elastica,... and some Indie/Alternative like Stereolab).

Last edited by lesypersound; 21-01-2008 at 01:20 PM.
21-01-2008
teenage dream.

fiftyonefiftyone.com

Amanda Blank is very inspired by 90's strippers as she says. I love this woman. Also everyone in her crew like Spank Rock, Benny Blanco, The Arab Parrot, Rye Rye, SantoGold, and M.I.A, are very inspired by 90's looks. It is very hipsterish though.

rising star

kahlilg!!!

THANX FOR THAT!! Once i saw M.I.A. it seemed like things clicked.

I'm definitely checkin' this girl out! I didn't know there was a 'crew' of them. I always knew there had to be more than just M.I.A.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
90s, comeback