How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-09-2007
tfs star

ahahah oceanharlot i had the yellow ones when i was little too

07-09-2007
backstage pass

Love them! They come in so many different colors and always manage to make any "girly" outfit feel more like a "me" outfit. They are one of the few shoe styles that have managed to keep the original styling and remain popular, without having to go through a reinvention or makeover.

I do notice the whole "anti teen indie, emo, etc." thing going on with wearing them. How do you guys know whose being a "poser" vs. actually wearing them because they like them?
Just reading some of these posts makes me feel as if I'm a poser already!

V.I.P.

they're classic. I've never seen them as being trendy that's why I've always worn them often...love them more when they're all beat-up and dirty

tfs star

This one is easy. ABSOLUTE DON'T!!! However, here's a somewhat different view. I always associated Converses with skate and rock. Since I'm not associated in any such way in rock music, I usually see these shoes as horrid. There aren't many circumstances in which I consider Converses stylish (or at least acceptable). I just never really liked Converses. Never wanted any. Sorry to sound like the ultimate anti-Christ regarding these sneakers. It even goes for knock-offs of Converses.

12-09-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal87 View Post
i'm no longer wearing them although i might consider wearing this

[www.gienchi.it]
a guy in italy makes them. He has become pretty famous.

[from gienchi's myspace] cosmopolitan italy sept 07

Even Bianca Balti and Agyness got a pair as you can see from the pics he has on his myspace
oh, i remember reading this article in the italian glamour -i really loved the all stars with the "holes"

doldrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesYeux View Post
I guess it depends on your style, really.
If you're into the rock star look, a pair of converse seems like an important asset no matter what the time or trend. They have to be grungy though.
I suppose though, as far as trends go (and since this is the "Trend" section of tFS), I think they're finished.
I knew it once I started seeing the 8th graders around my neighbourhood wearing them.
Ha ha "grungy". It reminds when some guy purposely messed up his clean allstars for the rocker look. I use to wear one from 2002-2003. I don't wear it anymore.

12-09-2007
backstage pass

I don't know, just becuase 8th graders wear all stars doesn't mean you shouldn't. Honestly, I think these shoes are one of the few that have managed to transend time and different "groups" or whatever labels we like to box people into. I'll always love my Converse.

front row

Converse All-Stars are really the only "trainers" or "sneakers" anyone with any sense of style can wear outside a sports stadium or a gym, bar perhaps a pair of Chanel prototypes or limited editions. Not so sure about all the crazee-pattern types or the ones with artifical distressing: they're a bit sad. The gold-painted leather ones are amusing...but that's only because they evoke cult icons like Miki Dora, for instance, who used to paint his Converse sneakers back in the 1960s. Converse are really the only heel-less shoes of any kind a man should wear outside the gym or off the running track. Leave all those "rapper" confections to people who shuffle and limp and make weird, mason-like gestures with their hands. In any case, they're likely to get you mugged in some parts of town. I saw someone wearing Converses in my gym the other day. Now, that was quite a statement! Mind you, it's a gym where people sweat and grunt a lot with rusty weights and things, a place the average fashion bunny would run from in a cold sweat...

PK

Last edited by prosperk; 14-09-2007 at 04:15 AM.
14-09-2007
backstage pass

I don' think they're a "do" if you're trying to be trendy, stylish, or chic. I think they're a "do" if you're just trying to be comfortable and casual.

"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing left to add but when there is nothing left to take away."
14-09-2007
front row

Depends on one's definition of "trendy", "stylish" and "chic", doesn't it? Innately chic and stylish people generally do their own thing and can generally look chic and stylish in flipflops, a garbage bag and a length of string. Trendy people are usually trying a bit too hard.

It also depends on how comfortable one feels. I always feel like "the accused" in the majority of "designer" suits - usually cut to suit the undernourished silhouettes preferred by a certain kind of menswear designer and often made of shoddy materials - which is why I tend to wear tailormade suits of a very conservative cut. I am sure all these suits are highly "trendy" and "stylish" but I feel not unlike a dog's dick in an inappropriate setting when I wear them. However, more power to people who feel and look good in them. Same goes for Converse versus modern trainers. Wear what you feel comfortable wearing and you will generally look and feel good. You know the story about Beau Brummel, don't you?

BB was out promenading along the Brighton seafront one morning with a friend when they encountered some acquaintances, one of whom complimented the famous dandy on his cravatte. BB thanked him graciously and when the aquaintances had gone on their way, turned to his companion with an perturbed look and insisted that they return home at once. Asking why, the companion was told by BB that he simply had to change. The reason? They had noticed his cravatte...which meant that the cravatte or the outfit, or all of it, just wasn't working. There's a moral in there somewhere. Something about keeping it low key.

It's not about the shoes...

PK

teenage dream.

The plain black chucks: a must have in everyone's closet. Other than that, it's a little to much.

scenester

Allstars are an all time do!

My own pair of allstars is wet at the moment because of the rain, and the colour has faded.

23-09-2007
backstage pass

DO. So comfortable, and they look fantastic with jeans. I love my Cons!

24-09-2007
Bel
front row

I'm thinking I'll move on to Jack Purcells. And PF Flyers. They're nice and simple like Converse but go better with the style I'm going for now. And more comfortable too.

24-09-2007
backstage pass

Ooh, the Jack Purcells are always nice looking shoes! Very modern and chic. Good choice!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
allstars, do's, dont's