How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-09-2012
rising star

Stav Strashko in advertisment for Toyota. The boy is divine

Published on Aug 19, 2012 by toyotajpchannel

18-04-2013
flaunt the imperfection

i don't know where else to post this..
it's about androgyny though so i'm putting it here...

true story...
so---
the other day i was out to dinner...
i was wearing a fedora...
men's helmut lang cargo pants ...
and tricot for comme deconstructed, studded brogues...

my waiter---who was wearing more make up than me---very kindly invited me to try the other restaurant where he works...
it's a new lesbian and gay bar run by some girl who was on america's next top model...

PS- i was with my parents...
he said it was a great place to have dinner with your parents and then go downstairs for a drink with friends...
which i am sure it is...
but i'm not gay...

*not a lesbian---don't even have tendencies...
i just like dressing like a boy...
should i be concerned???...

fyi- my parents were totally cool and weren't even phased...
but i just kind of hate being put into a box---which is part of why i don't dress conventionally in the first place...
but it seems that people just put you into another kind of box, not matter what you do...
*shakes head*

18-04-2013
Soviet Camaro

Maybe one of his co-workers thought you were hot and put him up to trying to get a reaction from you so she would know whether she should make a move?

flaunt the imperfection

i don't think so...
the ONLY people who seem to KNOW without fail that i am not a lesbian...
is actual lesbians...

but yeah- gay women never ever think i'm gay...
which, frankly, i also think is odd...

18-04-2013
flaunt the imperfection

i love androgyny...

Yohji Yamamoto, 1983

kissthegirls.tumblr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YY1983.jpg (152.4 KB, 8 views)

19-04-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
i don't know where else to post this..
it's about androgyny though so i'm putting it here...

true story...
so---
the other day i was out to dinner...
i was wearing a fedora...
men's helmut lang cargo pants ...
and tricot for comme deconstructed, studded brogues...

my waiter---who was wearing more make up than me---very kindly invited me to try the other restaurant where he works...
it's a new lesbian and gay bar run by some girl who was on america's next top model...

PS- i was with my parents...
he said it was a great place to have dinner with your parents and then go downstairs for a drink with friends...
which i am sure it is...
but i'm not gay...

*not a lesbian---don't even have tendencies...
i just like dressing like a boy...
should i be concerned???...

fyi- my parents were totally cool and weren't even phased...
but i just kind of hate being put into a box---which is part of why i don't dress conventionally in the first place...
but it seems that people just put you into another kind of box, not matter what you do...
*shakes head*

I understand exactly how you feel. I'm sixteen. Most of my family ancestry (on both my mom's and her sperm donor of an ex husband's sides) is eastern european. I do not look like eastern european men. They're mostly ugly. I have delicate features. I've got big blue eyes, pale skin, naturally rosy cheeks, and really pink lips. I look like a China doll. (only I'm not Asian).

When I was in seventh grade I grew my hair out (just wanted long hair, idk why). And I was going to a really bad hair stylist who only knew how to cut women's hair. So when I asked her to make it look less girly I ended up walking out of there looking like Anna f*cking Wintour. For months after that everyone thought I was a girl. I didn't wear girls clothes. We were shopping at an outside mall once and EVERY sales person there thought I was a girl. I ended up crying. But there was a Red Door at the mall so we went to it, and my mom took me to one of the hair stylists and asked her if I was a boy or a girl (luckily she knew I'm a boy and was baffled at the bob the other woman gave me.) I've been seeing her over three years years (she doesn't work at Red Door anymore, so my mom and I go to her house, which my mom and I both get cuts, dyes, and my mom gets highlights and it only costs $100 ) And I only get mistaken for girls by massive idiots. So I understand exactly where you're coming from.

Last edited by lepetitcouturier; 19-04-2013 at 02:29 AM.
19-04-2013
rising star

I get mistaken for a boy quite often. I do wear mens clothes. Most of the time I will have at least one piece of clothing that is menswear on me. I always did it but a couple of years ago I cut my hair short and I guess its hard for narrowminded people to see the difference now.
I do not wear makeup most of the time but I do not think I look or dress like a man, I dress weirdly sometimes but not like a man. I do not get upset about that but I am sometimes surprised because I dont feeel like i´m THAT eccentric in my clothing choices, but for some people it seems so....

19-04-2013
fashion icon

It was really interesting to read your stories, guys! It's funny how easily we can mess with people minds and how difficult it can be for some people to distinguish the human genders by only based on their looks.
I'm quite obsessed with the aesthetics androgyny is offering us. I don't mind women adopting the androgyny look but I absolutely adore androgyny of men. I can't think of anything more amazing than the way David Bowie looked in early 70s or Boy George in early 80s.
There something incredibly liberating about androgyny. And the wider acceptance of this phenomenon in the 21st century actually shows the society is finally changing and becoming more tolerant than it used to be.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
androgyny, fashion, models