How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-01-2005
backstage pass

Androgyny In Fashion And Models
"Andro-" means "man," and "gyn-" refers to "woman."

The quality of having a blend of both strong masculine and strong feminine characteristics.
The evidence of our fascination with sexual ambiguity is everywhere. While the focus of the paper is on music, the ideology of ambiguity pervades the pop media. "Androgyny is in, and it's about time!"2 The fashion industry correctly predicted current trends over thirty years ago with the Unisex style, and continued to capitalize on the popularity of androgynous dress, copying the styles of Boy George, Michael Jackson, David Bowie, and the Punk scene.

One of the most prophetic movies of the early 1970's was a film entitled Phantom of the Paradise. It satirized the music industry and criticized the industry's willingness to promote the demonic for a profit. The movie's strange and unbelievable prophecy about blood spurting, violent and androgynous rock groups came to pass with uncanny precision. The Rocky Horror Picture Show, also of the same era, became a cult film that celebrated the confusion of sexual identity. Tim Currie, the star, played a female with strangely seductive characteristics. In fact, most of the female temptresses were played by males. Our propensity for gender-blending gained a wider acceptance in the 1980's as many films played with this theme of sex role reversal. Victor-Victoria, Tootsie, and Yentle were three of the current products of popular culture which addressed the inequities of socially imposed gender roles from the perspective of the victims of cultural stereotyping. Movie producers attempted to make "gender blending" humane and less threatening through these artistic comedies. As people became familiar with androgyny they also become de-sensitized to its transgressions of cultural norms. It became an acceptable, if alternate, norm to a large portion of modern culture. And on stage, the 60's fascination with sex in general, with productions like Hair and O Calcutta, became in the 80's a fascination with homosexuality in particular, with La Cage Aux Folles competing for a Tony Award in 1984.

Androgyny is "IN.The time is right" for the androgynous look, "because American culture is more comfortable at handling sex and playing with gender roles.

In this century we can see all over fashion and celebrities on it,the androgyny.
Models turn into the angrogynous style,consequence of being a part of a youthful time,where there's no limits,and the only thing that matters is comfort.

We all have male and female qualities, why not be able to show both? ...People are being looked at for what's in their eyes--their inner sexuality.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Liquid Sky.jpg (29.6 KB, 70 views)

14-01-2005
fashion icon

Wow,exactly what I was waiting for!,once I have written something very similar but longer lol,but it was in some other language,so here you just put it perfectly hehe,Androgyny: I t was Platon Conception of divine perfection at the "Symposyum",and it's very important to realize that the androgynity it goes in 3 parts,divine androgynity,sociopshycological androgyny and fashion and lifestyle androgyny.the beginnin' of the 20's,the climax in the 60's and the habituality in the 90's,now that I'm here I do remember something that Dr.Samdra Bem had created in 1974,she found the (BSRI)BEM SEX ROL INVENTARY,it was a meassurement designed for the investigation of pshycologycal Androgyny.I t contains 60 different kinds and leve of personalitie,including variants of feminity and masculinity,and with a number of tests and activities she was able to found the level of mental sexuality on each individual.The levels were like this.
1.High level on masculinity and feminity(at the same time)=androgynous
2.Low level of '' and '' = no cathegory
3.high level opf masculinity and low in femenity=masculine
4.high on femenine and low on masculinity= femenine

The ones with the andro capacity were consider as more secure people,self assured,healthy and with the capacity to control their enviroment in a productive positive way.

The ones that were masculine,they were almost the same as the androginous,and the ones just femenine or without category had shown a lot of insecurities,and lifestyle issues.

I t was very interesting the whole thing,but way too long..so I just have left to say,that the postmodenism help a lot the androgyny concept,creating a keychain of relevant events through history,to all the way of our days.caue a lot of people knows the word ,but just a few recognize how big and important is te concept,many kisses!! and thanks for this thread!!

14-01-2005
fashion icon

Here I'm going to show you some pictures with the androgynous inspitation,on music and fashion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ()eleonora(bimba)bose.jpg (21.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg ()jarviscocker.jpg (23.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg ()mariacarla11.jpg (73.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg ()marlene_dietrich_15679.jpg (8.4 KB, 3365 views)
File Type: jpg ()Stella%20Tennant%20y%20Michelle%20Hicks.jpg (47.1 KB, 63 views)

14-01-2005
fashion icon

On the first pics,there's Model Eleonora Bose,Singer Jarvis cocker,Model maria carla,Models stella tennant and michelle hicks and actress/singer marlene dietrich,now here are more images

Model Kim Peers,Model Marina Dias,actress/singer Rosalinda Calentano,Model Srah K,and one Naruto/japa Doll
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ()Kim%20Peers.jpg (26.8 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg ()marina12.jpg (31.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg ()ROSALINDA6.jpg (14.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg ()sarah-k-1.jpg (15.0 KB, 3309 views)
File Type: jpg ()lindo.jpg (18.2 KB, 27 views)

14-01-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ball79
On the first pics,there's Model Eleonora Bose,Singer Jarvis cocker,Model maria carla,Models stella tennant and michelle hicks and actress/singer marlene dietrich,now here are more images

Model Kim Peers,Model Marina Dias,actress/singer Rosalinda Calentano,Model Srah K,and one Naruto/japa Doll

WOWOWOWOW I LOVE ROSALINDA (IN THE MOVIE THE PASSION OF CHRIST:if hells is like this,I want satan to take me with HER HAHA) AND SIN EATER.
SHE'S Y FAVORITE .. SHE CAN ACT, SHE CAN SING,
AND MARLEEN DIETRICH LOOKS GREAT IN THIS PICTURE I LVOE THIS PIC OF HER.. BALL I THINK ..I'M GOING TO FALL IN LOVE

Last edited by ModernLove7; 14-01-2005 at 01:21 AM.
14-01-2005
front row

Androgyny was a big hit in 2001"( on the runway) I loved it, I don't think it's as* popular any more- But It will always Be modern- Androgyny is real* fashion imo=

14-01-2005
flaunt the imperfection

androgyny from the 90's and now...
...i cannot tell you how much i relate to these images...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg linda329.jpg (72.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg model_extra23.jpg (53.9 KB, 3366 views)

14-01-2005
flaunt the imperfection

chrissie hynde...breaking the mold... :p
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chrissieblackshirt.jpg (34.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg CHshinyshirt.jpg (40.2 KB, 27 views)

14-01-2005
rising star

hmm odd.. but i find that model looking alot like An Oost! Is it her?

14-01-2005
flaunt the imperfection

yes ...it's her...

14-01-2005
rising star

oh hahhaha thanks for clearing up.

14-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
androgyny from the 90's and now...
...i cannot tell you how much i relate to these images...
To die for!

I have to say, though, I only like it one way (women dressing masculine). Does that make me chauvinist? I hope not I just really haven't seen a guy looking awesome and natural in a woman's clothing (except maybe Ale )

Last edited by faust; 14-01-2005 at 10:55 AM.
14-01-2005
V.I.P.

I love androgeny, passionetly. As an idea and a style.

14-01-2005
V.I.P.

jason platt

flaunt the imperfection

faust...i don't like a man in women's or a woman in men's...that's cross-dressing...or drag...

androgyny is more unisex to me....
neither man nor woman...but rather both at once...
encompassing the male and female at once...truly universal...without prejudice...

ysl by elbaz...jpgaultier...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg men in skirts....jpg (17.6 KB, 457 views)
File Type: jpg w 2000.JPG (24.9 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by softgrey; 14-01-2005 at 01:16 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
androgyny, fashion, models