How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-05-2005
flaunt the imperfection

Black Denim...
Blue to Black
Global
The saturated premium denim market continues to grow, with denim bars stocking what appear to be new brands every moment. Yet, there's hope for a strain of something new (besides cut) in this trend, and it springs eternal in the form of black denim. As the color black seeps its way back into fashion, black denim follows.
Putting on a pair of black jeans with a white shirt evokes the moodier air orbiting fashion. Maybe it's the return of rock 'n roll and its new icons, or perhaps it's a rejection of the sweet looks and profusion of color that's still in stores. What is definite is that some of our favorite designers are giving us black denim for spring, and we forecast the color denim becoming a new staple going forward. Historically, we can identify Lip Service's skinny jeans from the early '80s as the only era where black denim came to near iconic status, but then it largely stayed in the underground. For the coming seasons we envision black denim stepping forward and being rendered in all the complimentary cuts that have made the jeans market red-hot in the last few years.
The impending black denim craze is not just of the rock 'n roll variety. From Slab by Rick Owens, there's a murky pigmented version for men that hangs baggy-style off the butt. If you can score a pair (they're hot property), it's a great, understated urban uniform. Owens is also launching Dark Shadow, a new denim line, later this year, and we forecast the appearance of more black denim there. Nice Collective has a super-soft version with maximum seams, zippers, and suspenders.
Helmut Lang's come with sailor buttons and are engineered like his long-standing popular plain fit jeans. The ones from Konzo jeans, available exclusively at L'Eclaireur, are never to be washed and run high on the waist. But the bulk of black jeans we're seeing do have a rock edge, and they're cut skinny. Cloak calls their cultish version the Skinny jean; it hangs off the butt and snatches the leg for an awesome new fit. Nicolas Andreas Taralis' selection at Surface to Air comes scoffed up with little holes and are cut slim, as are the ones from Surface to Air's own Estuay line. Slim is the mantra at Balenciaga and Hedi Slimane for Dior Homme; both have silhouette-elongating versions. Raf Simons' choice comes closest to the Lip Service ones, cinched and perfect for going to the latest Bloc Party or Queens of Noize gig.
The infinite possibility with black denim makes it a new staple of simplicity and rebellion.
-Jenny Moda

from the jc report...

23-05-2005
slightly dizzy

I love black jeans...

23-05-2005
V.I.P.

Im wearing black jeans today !! with a purple top and a black baggy shrug and sparkley sequin slippers !!

23-05-2005
V.I.P.

^ Me, too!! Well, charcoal, but I still consider them black. I'm interested in some of these cuts they're talking about though. Mine are boot cut. Would love to find a skinny pair...

23-05-2005
V.I.P.

myn r bootcut 2 !! i dont think i have the legs for skinny ones lol id love them though so rock chic

23-05-2005
fashion elite

I dont like black jeans... I dont know what to wear them with. Like I think- 'wait, are they jean-jeans, or should I substitute them for black pants?'...too confusing.

no photos, no photos

I'm so aheadI've been wearing my black jns for months......and I used to have the Lip Service jeans

23-05-2005
etre soi-meme

i'm not for black jeans but i like mine dark dark blue, as dark as possible..
anyway, if i had to choose between black and white,
i'd go for black, thats for sure

23-05-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

Black jeans always make me think of my dad with his ridiculously old brown leather belt, work shirt, gold-rimmed glasses and Afro.

Whilst my dad does not number among my fashion icons, I can see that they could be quite nice...

no photos, no photos

funny Lena....I was just putting a pair of white jns back on the rail and was thinking how much I dislike them....now that the trend is supposed to be huge (Joss Stone for Gap), I'm totally turned off.....I do love blk dnm, but it has to be done right. TOO black and it looks tacky. TOO faded and it reminds me of an Iron Maiden concert.

23-05-2005
V.I.P.

^ Ha! I'll have to post my denim in "what are you wearing today" and see if they fall on that thin line, purechris I do see what you mean...

I think white denim is really hard to pull off. Or should I say, really hard to find a flattering pair! That GAP commercial, for instance... none of the models even look good in them. And I KNOW that if they don't look good on the model then I haven't a chance in h*ll!

23-05-2005
elementary.

i love my skinny black jeans !

flaunt the imperfection

i guess the denim trend isn't going away any time soon......

23-05-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
i guess the denim trend isn't going away any time soon......

Not a fan of denim, Softie? You know that it was originally tent canvas that Levi misordered...

no photos, no photos

You know, I was thinking about that the other day. How long did it take for the trend to play itself out in the 80s....basically we're going through the same thing again, but the prices are more than double that of "the Jordache Look" and "ooh-la-la Sasson", not to mention Gloria Vanderbilt and Calvin Klein. (I don't want to offend, but even SNL made fun of it with that hysterical "Jewish Jeans" commercial/skit). I was actually talking about it with the owners of the store because denim sales have fallen back a bit and it's more than 25% of my inventory. Always wanting to be one step ahead, I suggested they get rid of the denim "gallery" since everybody (competition) has them.

That being said, I love jeans and wear them all the time, but I think it's a diff case for men than women Don't know why, but I always feel "dressed" in black pants, where I don't think that way about women in black pants.....

....am I making any sense?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
black, denim