How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-01-2006
V.I.P.

i don't mind small logos of course. it's not a social issue for me. it's about taste. sometimes, the way the logo is put on the clothes is very original. one of my favourite ways to display one is a fabric tag caught in a side seam.

now..when we're talking Dior logo patterns, Louis Vuitton and the rest of the Nouveau Riche, hasn't it always been tacky?!

"...buttoned up to the breast, and made with wings, welts, and pinions on the shoulder points, as mans apparel is for all the world...and though this be a kinde of attire appropriate onely to man, yet they blush not to wear it..."

26-01-2006
front row

Yes, huge logos are incredibly tacky.

There is something quite wrong about big logos on clothes. Why do we, the consumers, pay a company to advertise for that company? Sigh. If anything, companies should be paying us to do that. (Not that I would, nor do I necessarily like that possibility.) I know there is so much that goes into it; sometimes I just wish that people would be more conscious consumers and think about the implications of outfitting oneself in logo-wear.

On another note, does anyone remember the big rage of Calvin Klein and Gap logo t-shirts and sweaters from several years ago? Goodness gracious...

Last edited by dreamecho; 26-01-2006 at 03:57 AM.
26-01-2006
Power to the 99%

I'm trying to think of a single visible logo in my wardrobe, and I'm pleased to realize there isn't one ...

Luckily I don't often have to reject logoed items, but I remember seeing some Dior shoes that I liked if not for the C and D hanging off them ...

My bag is vintage Lucite and one of the checkers at my grocery store recently greeted me with "Ah, it's the lady with the eccentric bag!" I thought this was quite amusing ... far better to be eccentric than carrying what everyone else does around here ... fake (and occasionally real) Coach ...

I was at an antique mall over the weekend, and they grabbed my bag and tried to find the pricetag on it Strangely, they also try to scan it at the upscale grocery store, which does sell many unusual items, but no vintage.

See how much more interesting life can be when you avoid logos

29-01-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta
See how much more interesting life can be when you avoid logos
Ooooh, I agree! And your Lucite bag sounds fascinating!

29-01-2006
tfs star

I don't wear any visible logo's at all,unless you count the white stitches from labels of Martin Margiela items,which people are always offering to cut off for me

I find it tacky and I am not an advertising board.

I don't like slogans either.

29-01-2006
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuirkyCool
I don't wear any visible logo's at all,unless you count the white stitches from labels of Martin Margiela items,which people are always offering to cut off for me
I cut them off myself!

30-01-2006
windowshopping

Degrades any outfit and whoever wears it, definitely. In New Zealand the massive (fake) logos are a scary obsession.

30-01-2006
tfs star

its all a matter of preference. sometimes im a bit of a diva and flash a logo (i love my dior saddlebag thats covered in logos - and the matching wallet!) but most of the time i prefer the subtlety of keeping people wondering where your clothes came from!

30-01-2006
front row

i totally think if u flash ur logo...everybody will know where u got it from and it aint fun or stylish...fashion is all about ur own taste and making people guess what u got on.

31-01-2006
backstage pass

People have to make money from fashion.
If only depending on people with a taste obiviously fashion will die from poverty.
Most people are shallow and they simply want to utilise fashion as a tag on them. So logo and recognizable outline would be the perfect method for both sides.

rising star

I am a huge Louis Vuitton collector myself and I want to agree with what the others said about the monogram canvas being classic. I am a huge vintage/antique romantic obsessed person and I love things that represent the past. To me, LV monogram reminds me of the turn of the century and the timelessness it has become today. I would also say that monogram pieces in general, not just Louis Vuitton remind me of old world when people wore monogrammed pieces and accessories with class and pride.

Now I see a huge difference between that and some big white tshirt that says Dior or Chanel on it in big ugly letters. We are talking about two entirely different categories of logowear in my opinion. I like to think I can differentiate between tacky logo and classy logo. I'm not going to rip labels off of my clothes or deface them just to make some sort of statement. Why would I do that if I paid an enormous amount of money for it to begin with and therefore probably have a great deal of respect for that designer. I like flashy to some degree. I like gold, bright colors, and luxurious pieces. Again, I still believe you can dress flashy and not tacky if you have exquisite taste.

As for carrying "it" bags with cheap clothing, to each their own. I know a lot of people who collect handbags and don't really care about their clothing so much. I also know a lot of people (including myself) who have to pick and choose to spend a lot of money on a handbag or on an outfit. Sometimes we can't do both. I'm not going to say that carrying an LV bag with my jeans and a tshirt makes me a fashionista but it sure as hell looks a lot better than carrying a tacky fake or cheap looking bag with my casual Target or thrift store outfit. It is a focal piece for the outfit and that's all that matters.

Please be aware though that never, ever would I wear outfits as hideous and unflattering as Miss infamous Britney Spears

31-01-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewytch
Now I see a huge difference between that and some big white tshirt that says Dior or Chanel on it in big ugly letters. We are talking about two entirely different categories of logowear in my opinion. I like to think I can differentiate between tacky logo and classy logo.
I don't agree with you on that point... A logo is a logo, there's no such thing as a classy logo or a tacky one in my opinion....

I am very scared of logos.... I usually tear them off, if I can't I'll use a permanent black marker to hide them... Yes, I am obsessed with hiding logos...

02-02-2006
front row

I don't enjoy seeing huge logos in my face at all. For me, I prefer wearing clothing or have accessories without logos because if that item is really unique or of high quality it would be obvious enough. I don't like sunglasses with huge sparkly logos or overdone logos like the Louis (sadly). There are sunglasses without logos like Marc Jacobs, Oliver Peoples, Ray Bans..etc. The whole appeal of Diors or D&Gs is the huge logo. But subtle ones are alright.

02-02-2006
V.I.P.

Intentionally purchasing an item because it has "Gucci" sprayed across it for the attention is just plain dumb. I think that when you are investing in a quality item you don't necessarily want the entire world to know you are wearing a particular designer. It's merely self-satisfaction for me when I have a item by a particular designer and only I know it or if someone is knowledgeable about a line or product they recognize it. But big bold logos and names on clothing, etc is so not cool.

02-02-2006
backstage pass

I think if the logo really fits with your outfit, you should wear it! I can see a nice logo bag, (like one of those caramel prada embossed ones) with a simple spring outfit. I know that people think that logos are played out, but I say if you like it and it looks good you should wear it! :p Besides, what's the difference between wearing a logo bag, and an icon bag like a spy or a paddy?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brands