How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-02-2008
Amour Comme Hiver

Am I delusional, or are one pieces everywhere?

I'm not a fan. Too much camel toe.

05-02-2008
trendsetter

blue and purple!

Margiela's Muse

Go-go boots =

05-02-2008
Margiela's Muse

Paper-bag waisted pants!

05-02-2008
girl who fell to earth

lots of oversized bows around the neck...

05-02-2008
fashion elite

* loose fabric attached to the clothes
* charcoal

05-02-2008
Amour Comme Hiver

Lots of zip front mini dresses, a la Christopher Kane a few season back.

06-02-2008
front row

fur - esp. grey shades and browns

06-02-2008
D‘MMkammern

FUR OVERTHOSE (i have said that in another thread already i just cant remember where)

not that i am against it or anything, but isnt thre just TOO MUCH... i have yet to see a show that isnt using the smallest bit of it, do you think there will be any in the weeks to come?? (Stella McCartney doesnt count :p)

Margiela's Muse

- hats, all types
- belted, open layers (see DVF for best example)
- oversized lapels on coats; eccentric outerwear in general. Oddly proportioned, podlike shapes.
- 2 scarves for men
- exaggerated colors - sky blue & apricot seems to be a popular combination.
- Long cardigans
- Separates, separates, separates. Everything is piled on and layered bizarrely.
- Knit vests
- Short, puffed sleeve jackets (for what else? Layering, and usually worn open with a skinny belt)
- Boxy dresses, coats, and blazers. A bit ungainly.

Mood:
- hobo chic, ramshackle grunge.
- somber, joyless (better grab 3 layers for protection)

07-02-2008
Margiela's Muse

ELLE ON PRE-FALL TRENDS THAT SEEM TO ALSO REFLECT FOR FW08/09

New Trends:

Russian Royalty
Yet another powerful style statement emerges with Cossak hats and Soviet style coats and suits. This includes Donna Karan’s Russian Doll inspired outfit with short double breasted jacket and pencil skirt. Lanvin’s Cossak zip up coat, shapeless yet stylish and Versace’s black and grey go anywhere Russian-look wide pants and polo neck. The Cossack theme is heavily accentuated in men’s fashion for fall-winter 2008 too.

Rich Velvets
Sleek, soft rich velvet in back with simple line knee-length and maxi dresses and bubble skirts in beiges, inky blues and classic black.

Shaggy Furs
A big hit is likely to be the muppet and yeti inspired three quarter length shaggy fur jackets and coats, reminiscent of the height of the '60s and '70s. Chloe, Donna Karan and Missoni all get in on the act.

Equestrian Chic
Riding boots and jodpurs provide inspiration for fall’s beige pants and cropped leather jackets. Dolce and Gabbana and Lucca Lucca both offer classic, chic and wearable combinations, with a slight masculine feel.

Monastic Monochromes
A somber, monastic look is set to be a keynote statement, including Louis Vuitton’s long black governess style skirt and puritan blouse and Balenciaga's austere black jacket and long split maxi skirt.

Oriental Origami
A taste of Japan with Oscar De La Renta’s origami pleats and folds and Roland Mouret’s grey suited origami inspired breast pockets.

Continuing Trends:

The '70s Look
Wide pants are here to stay, with turnups, flares and pleats. Bill Blass’s very wearable short cropped jacket and sweeping matching trousers will take you from business to bar with ease. Blouses are ***** bowed or edged with retro-look cravats.

The Maxi Skirt
A firm favorite for covering a multitude of shin, the maxi dress and skirt is still with us for fall 2008, Having emerged in early 2007 it’s popularity is providing value for money in the fashion stakes. Chloe’s chic boho skirt with asymmetric lines teamed with slouchy boots, and Nina Ricca Gatsby inspired 30’s pieces are sure to be a winner.

Over the coming weeks more runway trends for fall and winter will emerge but already we are seeing some powerful women's fashion themes and influences for the latter part of this year

Last edited by shirleebee; 07-02-2008 at 01:30 AM.
07-02-2008
I don't know

still a bit early but lots of yellow! esp yellow dresses

Marc by Marc Jacobs

Matthew Williamson

Betsey Johnson

Carolina Herrera

Behnaz Sarafpour

style.com

Last edited by Spike413; 21-06-2008 at 03:29 PM.
07-02-2008
Margiela's Muse

Two more themes:
- Renaissance
- Punk rock femininity

Fabrics:
- tweed
- chiffon
- velvet
- knits, some deconstructed (see Rodarte for prime example)

Accents:
- boucle
- sequin touches
- trapunto
- tortoise patent accessories
- lace
- bows

When all else fails, put a skinny belt on & you'll look current.

07-02-2008
Margiela's Muse

transparency trend continues
&
bomber jackets & vests return.

Outerwear as innerwear. The statement coats get more eccentric.

10-02-2008
D‘MMkammern

Economic Recession FW08
Out of the 12 runway review videos that have been posted on style.com yet, i would say 90% of them mention whether economic recession (which we all might be affected by in near future) is having an effect or not on each collection.
Given what we've seen in other decades of slower growth i think many of us could have expected the usual minimalism that defined them, and yet, i think designers are confidently showing exactly the opposite.
Everyone who was interviewed on the subject stressed how brave it is to give embellishments more importance than ever, and work with richer fabrics, and use the most luxurious materials, showing that even if there was economic recession, the market is strong enough to stand it.
Surprisingly enough, even the most minimal shows we've seen so far (which would be Halston and Calvin Klein, imo) were praised for the use of rich fabrics.
I start this thread as a "trend spotting" because i truly believe that the economic situation has a very direct effect on what we see in the runways and, ultimately, in stores, and above all, because i'd love to hear what's your opinion on the matter!

I couldnt find a thread discussing this topic, if there is one, please merge them (i just wanted to give my point of view on the subject!)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0809, catwalk, f or w, trends