How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-12-2007
front row

at my college its mostly trendy folk i guess, i tend to fall outta that group with my pants wayy down my butt and my sexy vintage messenger bag

17-12-2007
princely

I saw a very interestingly dressed guy on campus this morning?afternoon? He was just getting coffee and was wearing very skinny black jeans with dark lace boots and a big blackish grey coat over. He looked pretty interesting and was surprised to see him on campus because most people around here just don't dress how he did. His hair helped the look since it was sorta longer, but frazzled out so that it looked a lot thicker.

18-12-2007
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ryb3ar View Post
some people at my school dress nicely, but the rest are too trendy or just dress comfortably. btw, what is up with northface jackets? ive never seen people wear them at my high school, but ive seen a couple of girls at my univ with them. i just looked at them online and they are way so overpriced for such a plain/ugly sweatshirt.

I agree, what's with the Northface jackets? I don't understand the appeal at all. Someone care to explain?

18-12-2007
fashion insider

College has no style...especially where I am...there is no inspiration on campus, so pointless

18-12-2007
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by orang3leaves View Post
I agree, what's with the Northface jackets? I don't understand the appeal at all. Someone care to explain?
They are warm and comfy and practically waterproof... I love mine but I guess in reality it's just the brandname.

Does anybody know about Ivy League style? I'm headed to Penn next year, and I don't want to look like a complete slob. But I love my sweats!!! I'm from the West Coast which is generally more chill about fashion excepting Cali of course, but I don't know about the East Coast. Philly is pretty close to NYC after all.

18-12-2007
tfs star

now that it's getting colder, i see a lot of sweatpants loosely tucked into uggs along with a school sweatshirt and/or those puffy windbreakers with fur lining on the hood. oh, and various knockoff handbags.

what i hate more than anything is the idea behind this look -- that being in college permits you to look like a slob.

Last edited by unipine; 18-12-2007 at 01:46 AM.
19-12-2007
fashion icon

^I think for most college students it is in fact about comfort more so than style. To each their own type thing

19-12-2007
living in the sprawl

I guess I'm not really sure what is so important about looking good when going to class, at least questioning why others don't prioritize to look good too. Weathergirl put good use too the phrase "too each their own," as my dad always says about me.. "it takes all kinds" ha.

I plan on being much more fashionable after college, ha ha ha...

I can relate... If you've spent all your money on tuition, books, & rent, you have to think carefully when buying clothes. For many students they pick things that will be useful when going to class: t-shirts, jeans, sweats, athletic shoes, converse, whatever. Although at the business school here you could swear Brooks Brothers is their sponsor or something ...

I'll admit I own a couple of North Face coats... but when you go to school where you walk an average of 2-5 miles in sometimes 0F to -35F with windchill, a windstopper or microfleece to layer is pretty handy. Here I see a lot of patagonia, marmot, north face, etc. I'll admit the North Face Denali worn with everything and always paired with UGGs is not my favorite look (oh and a Coach purse, of course.. haha), but both of these items... unfortunately ... are somewhat useful... but Pink sweatpants, I'm not defending those !

I'll agree that looking nice is sometimes a mood and confidence booster. Not to mention, there are definitely days and events that require one to look at least slightly put together. But its finals time now, so I might as well admit I've been wearing my yoga pants for 4 days in a row

Oh, and I kind of like the "lack" of style, it makes the sighting of the stylish that much more exciting...

... and I think it's unfair that the whole scruffy hippy aesthetic is so much easier for guys to rock and still garner attraction...

edit: i didn't realize this was so long ... bless those who read it

y-piece,
and tu
rned into a castle for some towering queen

Last edited by pointup; 19-12-2007 at 05:07 PM.
19-12-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointup View Post
I guess I'm not really sure what is so important about looking good when going to class, at least questioning why others don't prioritize to look good too. Weathergirl put good use too the phrase "too each their own," as my dad always says about me.. "it takes all kinds" ha.

I plan on being much more fashionable after college, ha ha ha...

I can relate... If you've spent all your money on tuition, books, & rent, you have to think carefully when buying clothes. For many students they pick things that will be useful when going to class: t-shirts, jeans, sweats, athletic shoes, converse, whatever. Although at the business school here you could swear Brooks Brothers is their sponsor or something ...

I'll admit I own a couple of North Face coats... but when you go to school where you walk an average of 2-5 miles in sometimes 0F to -35F with windchill, a windstopper or microfleece to layer is pretty handy. Here I see a lot of patagonia, marmot, north face, etc. I'll admit the North Face Denali worn with everything and always paired with UGGs is not my favorite look (oh and a Coach purse, of course.. haha), but both of these items... unfortunately ... are somewhat useful... but Pink sweatpants, I'm not defending those !

I'll agree that looking nice is sometimes a mood and confidence booster. Not to mention, there are definitely days and events that require one to look at least slightly put together. But its finals time now, so I might as well admit I've been wearing my yoga pants for 4 days in a row

Oh, and I kind of like the "lack" of style, it makes the sighting of the stylish that much more exciting...

... and I think it's unfair that the whole scruffy hippy aesthetic is so much easier for guys to rock and still garner attraction...

edit: i didn't realize this was so long ... bless those who read it

i definitely understand wearing a warm/comfy jacket when its freezing outside and you have to walk miles, but my university is small (about 5000 students total). and im in texas so "freezing" means like 50 degrees to us. and im guilty of wearing sweatpants to school during the worst week of the month or so and i dont feel like deciding what to wear at 6:30 in the morning. im not really hating on how others dress so much (unless they wear juicy/af and a coach bag and think theyre all that!), but i appreciate those who take the time to look nice and express themselves.

24-12-2007
fashion icon

well at least the ugg and jeans etc is some sort of style...here people really have NO style. Forces you to dress down.

01-01-2008
windowshopping

Check out this collegiate street style site, do let me know what you think! Thanks everyone!

www.stitchsociety.blogspot.com

02-01-2008
V.I.P.

That site looks really good - is it yours?

04-01-2008
windowshopping

Yup, I'm glad you like it. We update it nearly daily so be sure to keep checking back.

04-01-2008
V.I.P.

So many people at my college wear moccasins to class. I find that incredibly weird.

04-01-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthaeus123 View Post
It's a school that's like UC Santa Cruz, but more hippies. And it's not in California.

Waiiit... I go to UC Santa Cruz!! lol

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
college, style