Dancer Inspired Styles - Page 16 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
09-12-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiko
the first one is lovely how can I pronounce designer's name
I'm not an expert, but I believe the pronunciation would be something like "Cahs-tell-oh Tag-lee-ah-pee-ay-tra"

15-04-2007
far from home...

nytimes

Quote:
April 15, 2007
The Jeté Set

By MARY TANNEN

It’s an odd time for ballet to be having a moment. If Degas weren’t backstage doing the styling, certainly his spirit was ascendant in the spring fashion shows, where it looked as if the corps de ballet had elbowed out the models. Hair stayed small and off the face, helped with versions of the Alice band at Valentino, Dries van Noten, Burberry and Narcisco Rodriguez. There were sculptured cheeks and diva eyes, and everywhere — from Chanel to Lanvin — lips were satin-slipper pink. And this season at the New York City Ballet, young stars like Ashley Bouder and Sterling Hyltin are bringing new life to the Balanchine classics.

When there is confusion in government and blood in the streets, what is the relevance of the girl in a tutu? Perhaps it is her ability to stand above the fray — ultra-feminine, yet supremely athletic. In a world of disorder, she cleaves to the rigorous rules of dance. She is the powerful Maria Tallchief in “Firebird”; the elegant Tanaquil LeClerq in “La Valse”; the evanescent Allegra Kent in “Ivesiana.” She holds the spotlight and reflects it back into our wearied eyes.

Which is why, even though you wouldn’t dream of zipping yourself into a tutu, you may yearn to capture some of the ballerina glow for yourself.

“Ethereal” describes the look, and it comes from having luminous skin, says Uzo, the senior stylist at NARS. For “a beautiful, milky, matte complexion,” she recommends starting with a moisturizer that gives a “pearlescent shimmer” (e.g., NARS skin-brightening serum). She gets the cheekbones, the bridge of the nose and the temples to pop with a highlighter and suggests Multiple by NARS, which is like limelight in a tube.

Exaggeration is the key, according to Gordon Espinet, the vice president of makeup artistry for M.A.C. He uses a shimmery powder, like M.A.C.’s Mineralized Skin Finisher in Shimpagne, on cheekbones, with a slightly darker shade in the hollows. For “Coppélia” eyes, he suggests a few false lashes at the outside corner and a sheer blue pink for lips, “so your own color comes through.”

Pulling back the hair is easy; pulling off the look is harder, says Eiji Yamane of Eiji Salon. Set straight hair on rollers for body, then coax it back with your fingers; for curly hair, wax the top layer for texture and shine. Straight or curly, “some hairs sticking out make it look younger,” Yamane says.

Once you have the hair and makeup, all you need is a proud carriage, a dash of élan and an eagerness to join the dance. Chignon optional.

Product photographs: jens mortensen (2) ; model: greg kessler/first view.
From top: a headband by Colette Malouf; a look from the Valentino show; Yves Saint Laurent Volume Effet Faux Cils Luxurious Mascara.

Don Ashby
The ballerina look at Louis Vuitton's spring show.

Alain Dejean/Sygma/Corbis
Suzanne Farrell.

Gjon Mili /Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images
Tanaquil LeClerq in ‘‘Bourrée Fantasque.’’

16-04-2007
V.I.P.

Wonderful, absolutely wonderful. This might be the most beautiful thread in the whole of tFS.

I don't know

Valentino ss07
style.com

16-04-2007
far from home...

Dance!
Ph. Alix Malka
Flair January 2007
Scanned by keske

KoModa

16-04-2007
far from home...

Nina Ricci Fall 2007 RTW

style

16-04-2007
far from home...

Michael Kors SS 2007 RTW

style

16-04-2007
V.I.P.

Kate Bush inspires me to wear leotards, leggings and the like with wanton abandon, knowing I won't resemble an American Apparel mannequin if I follow her lead, even if I purchase half those items there and the other half through Danskin. It's all about being a purported recluse who whittles away the day writing songs about the fairies in gypsy-dancer camouflage, rather than a hip scenester/scene hipster who can't seperate the good lamé from the bad; it's all about letting your peculiar personality shine through. Beautiful... Here are some pictures, for which I don't have credits, so I hope it's fine to post them as links...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...e/b899b59d.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...e/ad6ec349.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...e/8be9bf04.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...e/4bdd5ae6.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...e/5b31ea48.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...e/c024bd73.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...e/1738f4d0.gif

Yes, you can get it all here and here.

far from home...

Twinkle Toes
Elle Accessories
Spring 2007

Scanned by me

16-04-2007
V.I.P.

^
..definately an ongoing trend, and i hope it keeps going..

16-04-2007
V.I.P.

this makes me wish i never quit ballet

17-04-2007
V.I.P.

As much as I liked the Nina Ricci collection, those tights just weren't done well.

29-04-2007
V.I.P.

urbanoutfitters.com

02-05-2007
backstage pass

This is my favourite thread. Everything posted here represents easy elegance

The way ballerinas and dancers in general present themsevles with such poise and delicacy is truly enthralling. I'm petite and long-limbed myself, so I feel an immediate connection with this style. Especially all the looks in Marc by Marc Jacobs S/S 06 collection.

A few from Burberry Prorsum S/S07
style.com

02-05-2007
backstage pass

em 692 / I'm seriously considering getting those little tie ballet shoes in pale pink. So sweet

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dancer, inspired, styles