How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-02-2008
I don't know

Denim Vests
Just bought a denim vest from a swedish store called indiska, what do u think of these?

indiska.se

12-02-2008
oh! darling

Those are quite "cool" actually. I love when they're oversized and don't look like they just came out of the 90s and have buttons that look like farm animals!

I don't know

here is a pic (not that well taken) of me in it with a dress from h&M

it's more loose when I don't button it

Last edited by saann; 27-03-2011 at 12:39 PM.
12-02-2008
front row

I really do like the vests..but I don't really know how to wear one. that has been my problem over spring seasons. I usually just stick to dresses and belts for the spring because I don't know how to wear pieces.
As for studds, I've seen some grommets on denim for this spring that didn't look too 90s but I would imagine that the rest of your outfit should have some modern flair to pull it off successfully. I'm digging for pics after class today.

12-02-2008
V.I.P.

saann, I think vests add another dimension to an outfit. they accentuate and nice waistline and maybe even create one. the one you're wearing looks great because it also emphasizes the bust. and you can do so much with them, over collars shirts...tee's... henley's and maybe tanks too.

12-02-2008
front row

Not a big fan of denim vests. I find they're hard to wear other than ironically, and mostly remind me of the worst bits of the 90s.

But I've seen a few people wearing them lately in a hippie or cowgirl style.
A few of them actually pulled it off quite well! The rest just looked sort of silly. Somehow, I feel like the wearer needs a lot of personality to pull off the look.

12-02-2008
Geometric Discharge

Omg denim is so cool (outside of jeans, as well), because it's so like, rough and strong, you can match it with a constrast - something really soft and floating, like silk, for spring-summer (denim being a big trend thanks to the likes of Chanel).
Just go totally casual with it, think Joni Mitchell; 70's hippie-esque: a white long sleeved silk shirt, open cuffs, open neck, with open denim waistcoat. Follow this trend into trousers with black/brown/grey loose slacks (another key theme for this season), or with another constast - tight, dark coloured jeans.
Denim waistcoat/vests are totally cool! Love it

13-02-2008
tfs star

Personally, I could never really understand why vests were no longer "in" for women. Maybe because of the popularity of casual bolero jackets and shrugs, but the vest is classic. I've known some people who wear a vest by itself or with some sort of cropped top. I even remember back in the early 1990s when women's tops had a vest attached to a regular T-shirt. I always think of vests as jackets for people who don't want to wear any bulky jackets. They are very casual, but some fabrics can even allow for a classy vest. Obviously denim isn't a classy fabric, at least in this context. I think these denim vests can be a great way to dress up for the denim diva.

In the future in regards to denim vests, I'm interested in seeing some denim vests much like we've seen some classy denim jeans that look very much like classy trousers. I'm actually interested in seeing a classy denim vest to compliment such jean trousers. Or if there's a classy denim vest to go with jean trousers, show me in a picture or send a link my way.

windowshopping

If you are a fan of denim vests or jeans waistcoats or however they are called, you maybe find inspiration here:
http://denimvestgirls.blogspot.com/

just take a look

01-03-2008
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M. View Post
Personally, I could never really understand why vests were no longer "in" for women. Maybe because of the popularity of casual bolero jackets and shrugs, but the vest is classic. I've known some people who wear a vest by itself or with some sort of cropped top. I even remember back in the early 1990s when women's tops had a vest attached to a regular T-shirt. I always think of vests as jackets for people who don't want to wear any bulky jackets. They are very casual, but some fabrics can even allow for a classy vest. Obviously denim isn't a classy fabric, at least in this context. I think these denim vests can be a great way to dress up for the denim diva.

In the future in regards to denim vests, I'm interested in seeing some denim vests much like we've seen some classy denim jeans that look very much like classy trousers. I'm actually interested in seeing a classy denim vest to compliment such jean trousers. Or if there's a classy denim vest to go with jean trousers, show me in a picture or send a link my way.
Waistcoats (or vests) are surely back in now though? With the 'new tailoring' in this Summer and the likes of Dior and Ralph Lauren having featured vests

22-06-2008
windowshopping

Denim on denim? YES!
I LIKE THE DENIM ON DENIM LOOK. IT'S THE ORIGINAL LOOK OF THE SEVENTIES! NOT RETRO, NOT VINTAGE. I wish more people would ignore the fashion police and wear denim vests together with jeans, with denim skirts and denim jackets.

22-06-2008
Eat me, drink me

Very nice, I like the styling. I have one denim vest, usually wear it with dresses. I like that it accentuates the waistline, and denim is nice and strong so it feels alright for a vest.

flaunt the imperfection

denim vests are very trendy right now actually...

people seem to either love or hate them...:p

i am ambivalent...
i love vests in general...
but have no burning desire for a demin one...

i will say this..
in terms of styling...
i think they look better buttoned up...
less casual..to contrast the casual fabrication...
and because the denim is thick and doesn't drape in a particlarly flattering way usually...
*and i would like to see it with black...
not more denim....
although they pulled it off well in the pic you posted saan...
i guess because the denims don't touch...they are separated by the printed tops/tunics
that's a good idea actually...imo...

my 2 bits...

Last edited by softgrey; 24-06-2008 at 12:16 PM.
30-06-2008
V.I.P.

these have come and gone so many times over the past few years i feel they are becoming almsot a staple piece.. i prefare them worn in a more boho laid back hippy'esqe way then too dressy.. i feel they dress down an outift .. im more of a fan of them with skirts and dresses then pants for some reason .. Also i dont really like them mixed with other denimn haha im so fussy haha

30-06-2008
rising star

I personally think that denim is meant to be worn on the bottom half of one's body. I absolutely hate jean jackets.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
denim, vests