How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-08-2008
V.I.P.

Nowadays, people either wear sheer clothes to show or wear ordinary clothes that have linings built in. I don't see why the original slips are still around. The Marc Jacobs spring dresses demonstrated it really well because he showed that the slips today are no longer the old layers that keep women "appropriate".
That WSJ editor's articles are always very yesterday.

01-08-2008
V.I.P.

i havent more a slip since i was 12...

today i think shoppers in america are saavy enough not to buy things that NEED slips...who wants the extra expense?

01-08-2008
tfs star

i hate slips. i swear they make me look hideous...

01-08-2008
the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
today i think shoppers in america are saavy enough not to buy things that NEED slips...who wants the extra expense?
My half slip only cost $4 at Ross. :p

Of too many minds

I wear slips - slip-dresses or half-slips under things that are translucent or as a layer.
I'm especially fond of slip dresses that are trimmed with lace around the bottom hem, I like to layer that with my dresses and let the lace peep through.

Thanks for starting this, Lucy

{*princessimp.blogspot.com*}
01-08-2008
rising star

I love slips, I have two drawers full, i wear them under skirts and dresses at least a few times a week. In general I loved a finished look and wearing a slip makes me feel more pulled together. There is also nothing more comfortable then watching tv late at night with a slip and a sweater on. I love slips and I'm in my early 20s, slips are here to stay, just like bras and tights.

01-08-2008
scenester

I'm a born-layerer* so I love slips. I would not be surprised to see them becoming popular again - there's something very elegant about them, but I'd like to see them in more exciting colours than the usual black or beige.

I have a few dresses that came with removable slips - it's like getting 2 for the price of one!

*layerer - a person who loves to wear many layers, feels naked without at least 2!

02-08-2008
tfs star

I could do with one actually. I have a black dress thats totally see through in the light.

02-08-2008
tfs star

i too wear slips accordingly

02-08-2008
V.I.P.

slips all from urban outfiters

02-08-2008
V.I.P.

they will come back full force ..........its just a matter of time

02-08-2008
V.I.P.

Die, slips, die. I would personally LOVE to see slips go the way of the dinosaur. There is no need for them...most of the skirts I buy are lined anyways, and if they aren't lined they are no shorter or longer than mid-thigh. Yes, I love short skirts. Slips and nude hose have no place in my wardrobe, and never will.

02-08-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowqueen View Post

**Please do not quote pictures

slips all from urban outfiters

Urban always has the best slips, i always find a ton of really fabulous ones on sale

Last edited by saann; 03-08-2008 at 11:44 AM.
03-08-2008
Procrastinator.

I'm actually wearing a full slip/chemise as I type this. I mostly wear them to bed as they're cooler in the summer than wearing a tank and shorts and look cuter, too. They're also the most comfortable thing to lounge around the apartment in. Mine aren't the lovely vintage sort (though I would like some of those) -- I actually picked them up fairly recently at Old Navy in their loungewear section.

I wouldn't hesitate to wear them as full slips under dresses if necessary. I do sometimes wear half-slips if something is sheerish or if I'm wearing a wrap dress or skirt, particularly for work. I don't consider myself a conservative or old-fashioned dresser, but I think it's distracting, unprofessional and tacky if your colleagues/boss/clients can see the full outline of your legs under a skirt or if your wrap dress flies open, exposing your underwear.

http://www.shopstyle.com/users/hboogie
03-08-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBoogie View Post
I'm actually wearing a full slip/chemise as I type this. I mostly wear them to bed as they're cooler in the summer than wearing a tank and shorts and look cuter, too. They're also the most comfortable thing to lounge around the apartment in. Mine aren't the lovely vintage sort (though I would like some of those) -- I actually picked them up fairly recently at Old Navy in their loungewear section.

I wouldn't hesitate to wear them as full slips under dresses if necessary. I do sometimes wear half-slips if something is sheerish or if I'm wearing a wrap dress or skirt, particularly for work. I don't consider myself a conservative or old-fashioned dresser, but I think it's distracting, unprofessional and tacky if your colleagues/boss/clients can see the full outline of your legs under a skirt or if your wrap dress flies open, exposing your underwear.

ooh i didn't know old navy carried slips. i might have to check them out. are they cute?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
disappearing, slips, trend