How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-07-2012
V.I.P.

Double Denim is Now OK
Long reserved for rhinestone-studded country stars, its seems denim-on-denim is making a comeback with Vogue Mexico's latest cover.
A polished but tough looking Kasia Struss poses next to a motorbike on the magazine's August cover, wearing top-to-toe denim from Rag & Bone.
Coined the Canadian Tuxedo for its earlier fashion faux pas connotations, double denim underwent an unwavering revival during the spring 2010 collections, but this time around the tricky trend has divided opinion within the fashion industry.
A vocal supporter, Luckymagazine's digital fashion editor, Ray Siegel, told MailOnline: 'You can't expect an all-American kid from the '80s not to embrace denim on denim - or as I like to call it - a joutfit (jean outfit)'.
Meanwhile,Into the Glossdecisively posed the question: 'Honestly, the fact that double-denim is hideous is a universally accepted fact, right?'
Made famous and covetable to the mainstream by Marilyn Monroe in the 1961 film, Misfits, after she wore a Lee denim jacket with classic blue jeans, it was 40 years later that Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears swiftly turned the trend into a fashion statement reserved for the tacky.
Once the couple stepped out wearing matching denim outfits in 2001, the mid-western look quickly disappeared.
However nine years later, during the spring 2010 collections, pairing chambray shirts with denim jeans became a paragon of casual chic.
Chloe featured polished patchwork denim-on-denim, while D&G and Ralph Lauren ripped and frayed theirs; and suddenly fashion editors worldwide applauded the return of the Canadian Tuxedo.
Designers quick to catch up with the favourable trend turned to more tailored looks for the 2011 spring collections. Stella McCartney, Derek Lam and Dries Van Noten all sent out models in structured, but soft, denim skirt and pant suits, coats and blazers.
Cementing the trend, Isabel Marant paired patchwork denim shirts with skinny dark jeans for her fall 2011 show, a look that was capitulated onto fashion blogs and Tumblr feeds by off-duty models on the international show circuit.
Fashion-following celebrities caught on quickly, with Katie Holmes, Alexa Chung, Amber Heard and Reese Witherspoon epitomising casual cool in their own denim ensembles.
But its over-saturation haltered the trend with the same speed and fervor that it originally invaded Vogue fashion spreads, street-style blogs and Williamsburg coffee shops.
And now, putting denim-on-denim back on the fashion table is two international editions of Vogue; Brazil for its June cover starring Victoria's Secret model Isabeli Fontana, and Mexico for its August issue.
Fashion critic Isaac Hindin Miller of Isaac Likesadmits he isn't a fan 'when it veers into biker gang territories,' before adding, 'but give me a Bruce Springsteen Double D look on a girl any day.
'I prefer it with boyish jeans rolled up over a pair of navy blue high top Chuck Taylors, a Levi's Trucker Jacket, a plain white tee and a navy baseball cap. All blue everything'.
Many fashion editors, without discounting the trend altogether, are quick to point out the hard and fast rules of successfully pulling off double denim. It has been tirelessly noted that their colours should always contrast, never match.
New York City based fashion consultant, Amanda Shine, who references Isabel Marant and Ralph Lauren to get the trend right, explained: 'I love the double denim look if the wash and style are complimentary.'
Vogue cover model Ashika Pratt agrees, saying: 'I wear double denim all the time, but always different colours like faded black shorts with a stonewash blue Trucker Jacket or chambray shirt. I wouldn't wear the same colour denim like [Vogue's cover] because it's too matchy.
'But let's face it: A girl like Kasia Struss is going to look good in anything.'
(dailymail.co.uk)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg double1.jpg (151.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg double2.jpg (149.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg double3.jpg (68.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg double4.jpg (48.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg double5.jpg (42.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg double6.jpg (26.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg double7.jpg (34.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg double8.jpg (42.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg double9.jpg (33.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg double10.jpg (34.7 KB, 1 views)

25-07-2012
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

i like it in a more 70's than 90's way

25-07-2012
V.I.P.

lol

no

not unless they vary greatly in color and texture.

26-07-2012
girl who fell to earth

i think the last six looks work... as long as the denim has a color differentiation it's usually ok, but it's a tough look to pull off

Soviet Camaro

I agree that the top and bottom have to look very different from one another. Otherwise it becomes the dread "Texas Tuxedo" aka "Canadian Tux", aka... what other names does it go by?

I just can't do this, even with two very different shades of blue... need at least one piece to be black or grey, and it's still tricky.

backstage pass

i really liked this look from the calvin klein ss13 collection, i would never leave the house like this but there's something strangely refreshing about it

style.com

31-07-2012
tfs star

i think alexa chung and the picture before her with the coat works.
i like it if they have different texture or different fit, i like to mix my pinstripes washed denim with another denim top but i prefer something sleeveless because i always feel denim have a heavy look if combined

Last edited by seahorseinstripe; 31-07-2012 at 01:04 AM.
02-08-2012
What fresh hell is this.?

I think it can look OK. But it's never been a favorite of mine.
And I too prefer the denim to be in different shades.
Personally I don't think I'll ever wear it but that's probably because I've never been a big fan of denim in general.

A few looks from the Sartorialist

backstage pass

I think it's only okay if the denims are of different washes

front row

Double denim is now OK? Uh, no it's not.

V.I.P.

Alexa wore it best. I immediately thought of this look from Chloť S/S 2010 when I saw this thread:

style

04-08-2012
V.I.P.

It's been happening for a while that I'm tempted to say that it's no longer okay- again.

I loved the way Phoebe Philo made it work early last year..

[style.com]

I think the denim has to be the 'light' kind, either light or body-fitting (not tight, just not loose by any means) to make this work.

That say, I wouldn't touch the look- too many hipsters doing the denim shirt look (either with more denim or leggings), I haven't worn blue denim in.. probably the entire year I think.

front row

Perhaps it's because I live in the Deep South, but whenever I see double denim, I automatically think rednecks and hillbillies, no matter how hard they try to make it look trendy or sophisticated.

fashion icon

^Same here Vega Magnus, except I live upstate on the east coast and so for me it's associated with hicks and farmers. Wearing double denim is very much about practicality and not about making a fashion statement where I live. Also, that Brittany and Justin double denim really ruined the look for me when I was younger. I remember being absolutely horrified when they wore those outfits and for the most part I've never been able to quite shake that horror when I see double denim looks. Once in a while I've seen some people pull of the look well but for the most part I don't think it'll ever be okay in my book.

backstage pass

To do the same shade is GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!! Otherwise I do denim on denim all the time. usually faded black or rinse with stonewash.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
denim, double