How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-02-2011
chaos reigns

Dropped shoulders / Cocoon shapes F/W 11.12
So as the Fashion Weeks progress for the season, we see more and more of this trend first shown on SS 11 by Prada and Jacobs: Here there are the rest!

Prada F/W 11.12

Burberry Prorsum F/W 11.12

Fendi F/W 11.12

Jonathan Saunders F/W FW 11.12

Marc Jacobs F/W 11.12

Mary Katrantzou F/W 11.12

Pringle of Scotland F/W 11.12

all images from style.com

27-02-2011
Alluring

Cristůbal Balenciaga's cocoon shape is one of the loveliest trends all the time, I'm so happy it's everywhere this season.

Jil Sander

Also, I need to add the outfit Iselin wore at Marc Jacobs, it's just wonderful.

all from style.com

28-02-2011
Geometric Discharge

That beautiful rounded shape comes a lot from the softness of the seamless kimono sleeve, which I remember starting at Chanel Haute Couture F/W 10/11 and Marc Jacobs using it etc, and is still being used a lot, like at Jil Sander this season.
Prada then made the drop sleevehead popular which creates this strange illusion as the shoulder is seen supporting the clothing but the shoulder seam is a quarter-way down the arm.
It's a very organic and casual look, I feel.

28-02-2011
chaos reigns

I know! The interesting part is that I so want to know how this trend will translate on the streets with people wearing it!!

Alluring

Stella McCartney

vogue.it

07-03-2011
Alluring

Yves Saint Laurent

catwalking

07-03-2011
rising star

Love the kimono look, its timeless and with a wide belt/sash is always flattering.
The coccoon look - how can that look good on anyone IRL?

07-03-2011
front row

I absolutely love the shapes, but I have to agree with Georgi. While they may look beautiful on the runway, I'm afraid that they may overwhelm the average women. I know that I wouldn't be able to handle some of those specific designs. Still, I am excited to see how it is incorporated in the future. I hope someone will be able to rock it.

Last edited by msalicia; 07-03-2011 at 06:54 PM.
08-03-2011
chaos reigns

Honestly, I think only tall, skinny ladies can pull this off :s

Alluring

Junya Watanabe

style.com

09-03-2011
Alluring

Louis Vuitton

daylife

10-04-2011
etre soi-meme

simply love this shape! great trendspotting -as usual- by ultramarine
it's been a bit around since winter '10 and spring '11,
girls are catching up real quick

11-04-2011
backstage pass

In passing I recently came across an article in the journal Fashion Theory about the 'fashion victim'. It is a terrible article. Characterising the fashion victim is very straightforward. It is someone who wears a garment, or designs one (or works with one creatively as editor, stylist or photographer) without knowing why.

Let's be clear though, fashion should never get too serious. Fashion has a function in engaging the id (the imaginary realm), in speaking to collective fantasy and therefore inspiring, motivating.

It may not 'matter' whether one is a fashion victim or not; but understanding may well form the contingent bridge between neurosis (an unhinged shopping addiction) and catharsis (the meaningful, knowing, construction and reconstruction of identity).

This 'gorilla' silhouette is attended by a fascinating weirdness. Before one wears it, or works with it, one might want to consider wtf it's about.

It's by now well rehearsed that it finds it's fashion history genesis in mid century Balenciaga couture shapes. But this isn't just some unreconstructed, retrograde call to return to some sort of 50's/60's costume and lifestyle.

The moniker 'gorilla' is apt. The foreshortened and puffed up tricep of the dolman sleeve/arm; the rounded muscular shoulders; the raised clavicle/traps. In that sense it ties in with the plentiful bestial references of what is a very animalistic season. Grrr.

Commonly, on the frontal plane, the shape is rendered with a 2D flatness. The close frontedness of minimalism but stretched into a cartoon-like fantasy where the image is the reality, the surface is all. A body without organs.

Some of the 'gorilla' pieces are also characterised by a humped back. The visual representation of the body this silhouette conveys is similar to the edtorial pose where the model pushes her chest back, arches her upper back and juts the shoulders and elbows forward. It's similar to the 'most-muscular' pose in bodybuilding. The opposite of thrusting the bust forward, it's a denial of the hour glass silhouette. In that sense it is connected to a certain androgyny although attended also by an animalistic fierceness.

But this is a different 2D flatness to the drop waisted flatness of the 20's flapper or the flat spacey tunic of the 60's mod (both of which designers are riffing on also in the particular fashion moment). Indeed, the 'gorilla' silhouette deconstructs both those forms. Via it's lateral muscularity. And ultimately there's an evocation of a comic book heroine, a female superhero.

Lena ^ is right, we can trace this back to AW10/11. What a muscular, meaning business, woman Raf Simons evoked for that season. Channeling Lara Croft was the call.

The 'challenge' Miucca wants to set women is one of heroic deeds. There is a new body consciousness waiting to break out. There's a call to the gym, to hard-bodied discipline, to sports and fitness, to becoming Amazonian superwoman. Heroic deeds of the body, heroic deeds in the economy.

AW11/12 is characterised then by 2D flatscreen surfaces - cartoon and film referencing aplenty. There's also, via the hybrid animal forms (and there are more of those than we might realise), an evocation of mythology. It isn't necessarily 'Greek' mythology but if we take it to be so there's a dialogue with the roots of Western civilisation. (Tying in with the post crash inteligensia dialogue about is the West history?). Lying behind all this is a notion of the fictional, filmic, quest. From Homer's Iliad to contemporary Hollywood blockbuster.

But you can see, lying not far behind the surface of the muscular 2D flatness of the gorilla silhouette, another form waiting to be birthed (again). The comic book heroine is Lara, Xena, Wonderwoman, Pammy in Baywatch, the JPG conical breasted Madonna of the Blonde Ambition tour etc, etc. It's a Muglerian superwoman fantasy. It's the Amazonian hourglass hardbody that kicks *** and wins the day.

This is why the most interesting shapes of the season for me (within this particular scene) are those where the gorilla silhouette is already morphing from 2D to 3D and an hourglass shape is already being written back in hybrid stylie. I see it in Junya Watanabe and in Giles. It's almost like the surface symbolic is interrupted by the 3D Real, the character emerging from the screen into a dimension of reality.

But can this world view emerge into reality at all. Is it what women want. Can women save the West. Frankly I don't know if women can be arsed. Whether they any more want to do the denial and discipline of working out or working a business superhero stylie.

The wastrel body associated with the tropes of romantic realism, whilst perhaps less 'healthy', certainly has the advantage of requiring less effort. It's the discipline of abstinence versus the discipline of consumption (of protein) and work. The dropped out, rock and roll aesthetic chimes better with the times in that it is characterised by an effortless ease. Not being seen to try too hard.

The setting oneself apart from the social as heroic, goddesslike, pumped-up, superhero individual has perhaps one hope within the contemporary scene - the will to celebrity. But whilst we have a generation of young women well 'bought in' to the fantasy of celebrity (is there truly any other fantasy), the problem is it's a fantasy of celebrity without effort - celebrity without effort, without talent, without meaning, without the need for any personal quest or development in it's attainment. And generally we seek not to delay gratification and pleasure via a phase of discipline and work leading to 'deserving' exhibitionist pleasure; we just go straight there. The myth of the quest has been debunked.

So I'm not sure if the pumped up, superhero fantasy has any enduring relevance. It speaks of trying too hard. There's also a question of quite who's fantasy it was anyway.

That so many runway brands should be quite so out of step with contemporary culture is quite dangerous for them. And whether or not the wearer of the pumped up, muscular, gorilla silhouette dons the garb authentically, knowingly, (sartorial art imitating life) they risk appearing as fashion victim. Because what lies behind the silhouette really doesn't chime with the times, doesn't speak to where we're at. Or does it?

Pump up the volume or turn on, tune in, drop out?

11-04-2011
front row

This may be one of those gradually-love things. I like Saunders and Katrantzou's looks but the rest, not so much. I'd rather a sharp shoulder than a rounded one but perhaps with enough of these looks around, I will start to like it.

chaos reigns

Now that Ive seen it a bit more in detail ... I think this new shape is very smart .. it forgives many many "body issues": You may have a tummy and you could tell because of this shape .. or even large or small breasts ... it can even cut all the way down to almost the knees as dresses or coats ...

Smart, in-the-know shoppers will appreciate it .. but the matter is .. to most people, this is new ... is it their style?

Can people adapt this trend to their wardrobes and still be "them"?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, cocoon, dropped, f or w, shapes, shoulders