Embrace the death of cheap chic - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-08-2007
V.I.P.

I know what they're talking about. I saving for the perfect pair of jeans I'm probably never going to find. I can only afford "cheap chic," but even if I walk into somewhere that is considered that (mostly Target and H&M) I still expect to walk away with something that is of decent fabric and capable of year-long wear. I don't care if I'm paying 20 bucks, I'm still spending my money and expect something in return. It helps that rarely ever get sucked into trends. Though I cringe at the certain pieces I find at stores geared totally towards trends, e.g. Forever 21, these places will not die. Have you ever walked into a 2-floor Forever 21 (that used to be a Saks, btw) stacked with shoes, jewelry, bags, lingerie, menswear, baby-wear, and oh yeah, womenswear. Well, I have... But then again, I didn't buy a thing.

trendsetter

yeah, she just said what we already knew. Yes, it's better to have 1 designer coat than 5 H&M ones. Duh. But there are people out there who can only barely afford H&M, it's not fair to them.

13-08-2007
backstage pass

I´m not into cheap clothing just cos they look, oh so cheap, and they´re not attractive two days after you paid ten dollars for them and you thought you were buying an exact clone of last Nicole Richie dress. I think cheap and chic will never go as we´re into a consumism fever and doesn´t really matter what you buy . The cheap shops are overcrowded and our wardrobes and dressing rooms too, and I think this will never pass. The quality is another subject. Your mum had a cardi for 20 years that it still looks great, but none expects a cardi today to last for that long, doesn´t matter if it´s Zara or Prada, it won´t arrive in pristine condition and after three years in your closet you are deadly bored. We live fast, shop fast and get bored of our beloved clothes (even designer and expensive) fast. So we need to keep in buying and buying and when we can´t afford it we go for the cheap clothing stores. Then you don´t even dare to wear it, but that´s another subject.

13-08-2007
backstage pass

As has already been said, it's not as though a lot of people consciously choose to purchase ethically unsound clothing - it's pretty much all there is in many towns that are entirely dominated by the high street. I'm sure most people would prefer a high quality garment that has been beautifully cut, designed and sourced, but frankly, not everyone can afford to. While it's not a desirable situation at all, and I do not approve of Green et al's business practise, surely it is better for these penurious people to have at least some income to support themselves and their families rather than none at all?

The fact is that with the way things are at the moment, there are always going to be people who are willing to work for a small wage in poor conditions, and if minimum standards are set for one country that eventually dent the profits of big fashion brands, they will simply move their trade to another country that is not so stringent in paying their workers a fair wage. It happened in the UK - most high street clothing is produced abroad, and even M&S (a bastion of 'buy British') decided to make the move out of economic necessity. I don't know what can be done about this, other than a move towards an imposition of worldwide standards in all factories, but I don't know if this is really feasible. Who would check that the standards were being implemented in every single country in the world? I don't like this any more than anyone else, but it just doesn't seem that there is much that can be done about this other than buying locally or making it yourself, neither of which are ideal solutions for the majority of people.

Similarly, just because big brands like Armani charge more for their wares, it does not mean that they are any more ethical in the way they manufacture their garments and treat their employees; it could equally be that the mark-up is higher and fabrics are of a better quality.

It also does seem ridiculous to fork out for high quality garments that are simply functional and likely to be ruined before long. Most people don't pay big bucks for a t-shirt just for doing housework in, and for this the high street is very useful.

Finally, supposing that everyone did buy 'high quality' outfits that cost more - wouldn't this restrict fashion to an even more elite minority? This wouldn't help the industry as a whole, and on a slightly more selfish note, it doesn't seem quite fair that only people earning an extravagant salary or living in a metropolis with a plethora of well-stocked markets, vintage shops or second hand stores would be able to indulge in the pleasures of dressing well. I presume everyone here enjoys fashion, so why take that away from people who do not earn much money, nor have the time to source from more ethically ideal shops?

Last edited by Glittery_Bug; 13-08-2007 at 09:12 AM.
13-08-2007
#Resist

^ I simply do not buy the argument that anyone doesn't have time to be ethical. I'm a pretty busy girl myself and I make the time because it's important to me.

I see a lot of people who don't have much money shopping second-hand, and I think they have the right idea. That was one of my strategies when I didn't have much money.

I also don't buy that because quality overall is on the decline, a compact wardrobe strategy (fewer items, higher quality) doesn't work. Quality has declined since Jesus' time too, when every garment was hand-spun, hand-woven, worn for years on end and passed down to your children. I know the strategy works because I've been using it continuously for 25 years or so.

Now, it may not work if the most important thing to you is to always be on the cutting/bleeding edge of fashion, and to always be wearing something different from what other people are wearing. I manage #2, but that probably owes something to my not living in a terribly fashionable place, and not working in a fashionable industry

13-08-2007
arndom

The article obviously addresses ppl who can afford to buy a Armani jkt, maybe even after 1 or 2 month of saving, but still. If you can't save that much money, it's not really a choice. You go to Zara instead.

I wore my Zara coat for several years and nothing happened to it. I have a HM cardi for quite a while now and it still looks great. But I like my CdGH+ coat bc it has a great cut and exceptional fabric. I think I will wear it even when it will have holes:-)) I think I buy designer items bc they have certain "character", not just bc they look pretty.

Anyway, I think the point is to lower the speed:-) (of living and buying) Sb has noticed that the 80/20 rule also apply to the clothes.

80% of the time you wear 20% of your clothes.

Can you live without the remaining 80%? Maybe yes, if they are just pretty, and dam cheap clothes:-)

Ta-ta, I am not really sure about fashion ppl look different between themself. Look at the FW "street wear" and you could see most ppl take the same look. Maybe the acc are different, but it's not fashion, right:-P

As for buying second hand. It's really a problem here when secondhands have really bad selection. And it's very different for men to buy second hands. Maybe bc men will wear their trousers until they tear apart:-))

Last edited by nqth; 13-08-2007 at 11:13 AM.
13-08-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ I simply do not buy the argument that anyone doesn't have time to be ethical. I'm a pretty busy girl myself and I make the time because it's important to me.

I see a lot of people who don't have much money shopping second-hand, and I think they have the right idea. That was one of my strategies when I didn't have much money.
I definitely am not on the 'cutting/bleeding edge of fashion', as you put it, and never would consider myself to be. I don't aspire to that, either. My point was that it simply isn't feasible for everyone to shop in high end boutiques or at second hand shops. My nearest vintage shop is in the next city, which is an hour's drive away - I'm not going to make the effort to go there everytime I need to buy something, especially when the high street is so close at hand. Even if I did, the stock is pretty limited and it is getting more and more expensive as vintage becomes more popular. I could shop at charity shops, but I went to six of them on Saturday, and not one of them had anything I would want to buy. I live in a poor city, and it's not the sort of place you find decent garments second hand very often. In fact, most items of clothing were either clothing donated by very old people, e.g. beige slacks, Hush Puppies etc, or things from the high street itself, e.g. Primark, Adidas tracksuits and so on. Being on a limited income myself (I am a student), I don't know what other option there is, unless I travel 45 miles every time I need to go shopping. I can't afford to go that far with petrol costs (petrol is a lot more expensive in the UK than the USA), nor on the train, especially to purchase an overpriced garment that may not even be in stock.

Last edited by Glittery_Bug; 13-08-2007 at 11:31 AM.
13-08-2007
#Resist

^ I think you always have a choice. There's eBay & online shopping ... there's saving up and going shopping (perhaps at a distance) 2-4 times a year ... there's always a choice.

I've said before & I'll say again ... I definitely think you can find quality at a moderate price--i.e., quality separates and shoes for <$100. If you shop those same places on sale, you're getting very close to the "cheap" price range. As others have said, designer doesn't necessarily equal quality. You, as the person choosing what to buy, have an enormously important role. That's why online grocery shopping is dead ... If someone else chooses, you get the worst bunch of celery. If you choose, you get the best or one of the best--all for the same price. It's the same with shopping for clothes ...

13-08-2007
#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqth View Post
Ta-ta, I am not really sure about fashion ppl look different between themself. Look at the FW "street wear" and you could see most ppl take the same look. Maybe the acc are different, but it's not fashion, right:-P
I agree, there is a "fashion look" ... one I don't happen to have I'm just saying, if you must catch trends on the ascendant, and then dump them when they become hot, then this may not work for you. I think if you wear the fashion editor uniform, it does work. If you're devoted to CdG or Rick Owens, or anything else avant garde that's timeless in its own way, it works. If, like me, it's not important to you where in its arc a trend is, as long as you love the trend-influenced item you bought, it works.

I hear you on the second hand thing. I happen to live in an area with lots of people who are flinging money around, so there's plenty to be had second hand around here. Where you are, people undoubtedly still remember (and will for decades to come) when things were harder, and act accordingly--no bad thing. I wish more people here remembered when things were different. We have a very short memory in this country, which is good, except when it's bad

13-08-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurette View Post
not everyone can afford designer pieces, though
So, true.
I know I can't afford top designer clothing and I don't like the idea of going into debt just so I can look good.
But, I won't buy clothes just b/c it's cheap...what's the point to buy something that you know will be crap later on down the line.
I'm totally going to give you karma...

13-08-2007
front row

I totally agree about the steady decline of the quality of clothes. Shoot, even places like forever 21 keep getting worse and worse. But there is nothing to guarantee you that your high priced clothes will not get ruined quickly too - unless you guard yourself from all situations that could possibly ruin your clothes (that includes sitting and eating).

They are raising prices because as inflation ensues, they need to raise their prices because people are in fact buying less, and they have to keep their profits the same. Does Giorgio Armani really need my help? no. I mostly shop second hand. And that is fine with me. I know what I can and cant afford. But sometimes I see myself thinking "hey thats not so expensive" when I truly know it is. I know that I am being brainwashed into wanting something I dont want to pay for.

How can she blame packing too much for a vacation the end of cheap chic? She overpacked, maybe she needs to reevaluate how shes doing that. Because shes at one end of the spectrum. She can afford to not shop cheap, but chooses to. So she overindulges. Whereas most people have to shop cheap out of necessity. The only way to end cheap chic is to close all malls.

the crying of humanity

Quote:
I don't suppose my Kate Moss-inspired Topshop tank-tops will feature in the stories I tell my grandchildren, but that Hermès handbag just might.
And why is that? If you truly love a piece, does it really matter what the tag reads?

This is just another article written by someone who believes everyone has the money to blow on designer pieces. Even if you're only purchasing one jacket here, a dress there, the money adds up. Most designer items go for over $400, depending on the actual piece, and many people just don't have that kind of money.

I buy from "cheaper" stores because that's all I can honestly afford. True, I could go out and buy a pair of Prada heels for $300 and be left with $0, but the more reasonable option is going to Payless or Target, purchasing a pair of shoes I love for $20, and being left with $280.

I'm thinking the author of this article doesn't realize this, but most people have a family to care for. We can't all afford designer clothing, period. That $500 would be better off being put towards food and other necessities for the things that really matter: The people we love. At the end of the day, it's not about the number of designer duds you own, it's about if you put your money in the right place.

front row

Quote:
If I won't buy for 60 dollars, then I shouldn't buy it for ten.
I agree Bella_Lass334; that's a great quote and I think I'll even use it next time I go shopping.

I'm a student, and I earn a little above minimum wage at my summer job. I do get most of my clothes from the mall but most of my clothes have lasted me for years since I'm picky, stick to basics, and take care of my clothes. Any character or uniqueness in my wardrobe comes from splurges (for me this is $100 or more), clothes and accessories handed down to me, and gifts. I'm generally satisfied with my wardrobe, and also save lots of time since I don't go shopping at Forever 21 every weekend. I've gotten in the habit of just dropping cash if I see something I want since I don't want a whole lot, and since I just started shopping online, this has gotten me in trouble a bit, since I really can't afford right now to waste $50.

Last edited by bismarck; 13-08-2007 at 11:04 PM.
15-08-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couture_Tribe View Post
Cheap Chic has gone really overboard and I LOATHE it.

Maybe this is just the end of fashion, when fashion isn't worth much $$ anymore.
exactly

rising star

Quote:
If I won't buy for 60 dollars, then I shouldn't buy it for ten.
If I went by that logic, I don't think I'd ever buy anything. Depends on what the article of clothing is, though. Know what I mean? Your quote is kind of vague. There's no way I'd buy a $60 shirt, but a $60 pair of jeans is more than reasonable.

I hope someone understands what I'm struggling to say.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cheap, chic, death, embrace