Embrace the death of cheap chic - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-08-2007
#Resist

^ The point of the quote is that something being on sale doesn't suddenly make it useful, when it wasn't useful at full price ... the $$ figures are just examples

22-08-2007
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ The point of the quote is that something being on sale doesn't suddenly make it useful, when it wasn't useful at full price ... the $$ figures are just examples

Oh... haha, I guess that makes sense. So basically if you wouldn't buy something at full price, you shouldn't when it's on sale. It's actually a really good quote now that I understand it

Thanks for the clarification!

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectPerfect View Post
So she overindulges. Whereas most people have to shop cheap out of necessity.
Exactly what I was thinking. It's not so much about spending all that's in your wallet as it is about carefully choosing what you buy. If you find a top that suits your needs, then stop. You don't need to keep going until all your money is gone.

Quality over quantity has always made more sense to me, but the problem is I can never catch up. While I'm saving up for an expensive coat, my pants fall apart or I need a dress. I don't ever have enough money to hurry up and replace them, so I buy a cheap version and then have to start over with saving up for that expensive thing I wanted.

I'm aware that stores like F21 are really crappy, but I still scour around for something that seems of decent quality. I don't think it's impossible to find something great for less. But ideally I like to shop the middleground. I don't want to spend a whole lot on something that's going to get dirty or I just fall out of love with. And if I really love it, as a previous poster stated, I'll wear it when it has holes in it.

In the end it's about carefully choosing your wardrobe. You don't have to go out and buy more just because you have some money left. See how far you can go on that $20 shirt or whatever. Treat it like a little puppy. You should love it to death before taking it home or you're not doing any good.

03-09-2007
front row

i find myself constantly learning about how to get the most for my money fashion wise, i'm not "dirt poor" but not quite "comfortable" either and my taste is settling into my own personal classic style though i do like to keep with a few trends, but i am tired of constantly replacing, but on a budget it is hard even to establish that nice wardrobe of staples

i buy most of my handbags vintage from ebay because they are unique and the same quality as the designer ones and better quality than the cheap ones that are just knocking off vintage designs

tees and tanks from american apparel or banana republic because these are pretty good quality and i wouldnt spend any more or less on them

i always find fantastic skirts at second hand shops, maybe because i like my skirts to look really classic and i'm sure i'm always scoring what a secretary cast off for charity, trade, or consignment

coats i usually either make a mid price investment in or buy vintage, although i have found a few at teeny bopper stores

blouses and dresses are tricky, i think i will start sewing more nice blouses and dresses, good quality vintage ones are hard to find cheap in natural materials and i like really good tailoring

cheap sweaters i will never buy again, i think i will try to invest more in them not designer but maybe j crew or something

pants i almost can never find anywhere that are what i'm looking for so these i may start sewing too or have made by a design student or seamstress

not into jewelry so much anymore but i do get stuff like faux pearls and clear bangles from cheap trendy stores

lingerie i buy vintage and new from ebay since i like betty page like styles that are hard to find or expensive elsewhere

i was lucky to work at a designer shoe boutique and get tons for free now i am spoiled, but i do notice a difference in handmade shoes and will start trying to invest more in quality footwear because comfort and long wear are vital

Last edited by lalablossoms; 03-09-2007 at 08:39 PM.
03-09-2007
fashion elite

I think there is a very big difference between cheap and good quality. I bought a dress 2 years ago for $20. It was made from nice cotton and still looks great. I've got friends that only buy designer labels and their stuff doesn't always last. This is because at the end of the day when your buying clothes no matter the price its the cut and quality of the fabric which will determine whether its good quality.

03-09-2007
fashion insider

I have a confession to make...before I left for New Zealand 2 years ago, I went to Primark and stocked up on clothes.

I'm still wearing them. I have been every day for the past 2 years.

However the difference when I compare it to my more expensive clothes is noticeable.

Edit: By the way for those who don't know...Primark is a British chain store. I lived in Reading where the second store was. Anyway, as far as I know there aren't any clothes over 15. Most t-shirts are 5 or under.

Last edited by misssakura; 03-09-2007 at 09:08 PM.
05-09-2007
rising star

Primark makes me really sad, as does Wal-Mart.

Those 5-pound tees come at a price that goes beyond money.

fashion insider

It's true...I haven't bought any clothes since I bought those ones because the ethical cost is too high and I can't bear it on my conscience anymore.

05-09-2007
front row

I never buy something just because it's cheap. That being said, I do have a pretty strict budget that I must stick to. Money is not unlimited.
The whole cheap and chic debate, I think, is pretty silly. There is a demand for disposable clothes because trends change so frequently. And since nobody can afford to buy designer but still wants to be fashionable: in steps H&M, Zara, Mango... As long as fashion changes at the speed of sound, these places will have a large following. Regardless of whether the items fall apart in 5 minutes.
To me quality is of utmost importance, that is why I purchase good quality fabrics and sew myself. This way, my items come out pretty cheap and I am left to splurge on the few items that I just cannot make. Like shoes!!

07-09-2007
backstage pass

Thank you! As much as I too am a believer of quality over quantity, the fact of the matter is, my life does not work that way. Other things I have are going to fall apart-I have to replace them with other things, not always related with the fashion world.

So I end up shopping at places that might never be found in an upscale store. For me, it's a matter of deciding what I can spend more money on. Am I going to love this item forever? Will I only wear it once? I've bought dresses from places like Target because I know I'll only wear it once, but I've also spent more money on other things because I can use them over and over again. It's a matter of budgeting with what you want vs. what you need at any given time period.

It sometimes seems as if we're forced to chose one side or the other, when in fact many people can fall into that middle ground. A lot of us can't afford the more expensive items and maybe never will-life happens and we have to make changes and adjust. Do we need to chose sides?

Great thread and wonderful posts all around!

#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssakura View Post
It's true...I haven't bought any clothes since I bought those ones because the ethical cost is too high and I can't bear it on my conscience anymore.
Not all inexpensive clothes are made using bad practices ... given your level of concern, you might want to make inquiries about the individual companies you are considering patronizing ...

07-09-2007
fashion insider

I'm in Auckland so there's only one company that makes cheap clothes, The Warehouse...very bad quality and I doubt they use good practices at all. Although if somebody wants to correct me on that I"d be happy to check out the correction..

07-09-2007
rising star

Quote:
Not all inexpensive clothes are made using bad practices ... given your level of concern, you might want to make inquiries about the individual companies you are considering patronizing ...
I don't know if you were personally offended by the truths of what missakura said, because it definitely seems like it. Or maybe you just shop at Primark often and don't want to realize that your benefits rest in the hands of other people being treated badly? Whether that's the case or not, maybe you shouldn't just assume that we don't know what we're talking about.

She was referring to Primark, which is infamous for slave labour:
http://peopleandplanet.org/navid3791

Google "primark sweatshop" for more.

fashion insider

Quote:
what are other inexpensive brands besides american apparel? besides shopping second hand, i have yet to find a brand/label that is accessible, inexspensive and ethical.

#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddiot View Post
I don't know if you were personally offended by the truths of what missakura said, because it definitely seems like it. Or maybe you just shop at Primark often and don't want to realize that your benefits rest in the hands of other people being treated badly? Whether that's the case or not, maybe you shouldn't just assume that we don't know what we're talking about.

She was referring to Primark, which is infamous for slave labour:
http://peopleandplanet.org/navid3791

Google "primark sweatshop" for more.
toddiot (interesting choice of username, btw), I gather you haven't seen my other posts re ethical issues.

I am certainly not offended by what missakura said. I know that she has a tendency to agonize over ethical issues, whereas most people have a tendency not to give them the first thought. We all do have to wear clothes, though--at least where I live it's the law I was just making a suggestion for when she is left with the choice of going shopping or breaking the law

As shown with my username, I live in the US and am not familiar with Primark as it doesn't operate where I live. You have incorrectly assumed that I assumed missakura didn't know what she was talking about

As far as ethical companies, these US companies seem to have good business practices from what I know:

bluecanoe.com
gaiam.com
patagonia.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cheap, chic, death, embrace