How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-08-2006
Wanderlust

I was just thinking of that collection from Tom Ford for Gucci! In my eyes, that was the epitome of sexy. It had this vulnerability and dark mood to it, but yet it was strong. I loved every last moment of it.

03-08-2006
backstage pass

i think sexy will never be out of style, nowadays there are just more things that are sexy and the concept of sexy has expanded. it doesn't have to be sexy by the traditional way: polished and well fitted. that still is sexy of course but slouchy and a bit rugged is hot too.

03-08-2006
backstage pass

I know when I wear something low cut or too sexy I feel outdated, Or like a fashion victim or something.

03-08-2006
tfs star

I think as long as ladies want to make a statement and be the eye-catching divas they want to be, I don't think sexy is going away anytime soon. I don't want to believe that looking sexy is going to fade away because there are always some ladies looking to push the limits and maybe go on the risqué side. I think there is a such thing as looking sexy and still being in style. Only as long as you're not looking like jailbait or whatever or one of those hookers (is it okay to say that on here?), then you're perfectly fine. Designers are always going to try to come up with fashion items to unveil the attractive and sultry beauty hidden within fashion-conscious ladies.

The only way sexy can be out of style is if some designers convince ladies that more modest fashions will still bring the same results as, say... a slender lady in a mini skirt wearing high-heeled strappy sandals. The only way that's going to happen is if designers can come up with fashion styles which don't bare too many details. And a lady is going to want to feel comfortable while being attractive (or at least beautiful). A little joke I would make is that sexy was showing signs of dying out when some ladies wanted to wear leggings under denim mini skirts. I haven't been on here in a while, but I did say that it wasn't very fashionable for me. Maybe a tunic and some capri leggings, but that's about it.

Maybe my general feelings are on the deal that something low cut does make one seem too much as a fashion victim of some sort. I just prescribe to the deal that love has skyrocketed since maybe World War 2. Sexy then was probably anything just above the knees. The 70s brought along a plethora of hot fashions including hot pants (still popular today) and gaucho pants or culottes based on how you wish to term them (recently made popular again; some ladies prove that they can be a year-round fashion). I guess the 80s brought along more rock-style stuff as rock music (I'm not a big fan of rock) was being popular and more grungy outfits were the rage. I should know since I was born in 1983. The 1990s pretty much provided the backbone for what we consider the modern version of sexy. There's been all sorts of love-inspired clothes as well as midriff-baring and leg-bearing objects. I'm personally not offended by all of this. A lady should be able to dress as she wants to. I have no control over any lady's thoughts. If you want to wear that low-cut top exposing your navel piercing and that mini skirt that that rides up mid-thigh, go for it. Whatever makes you feel comfortable and attractive works for me.

Sexy will never be out of style as long as ladies still want to look as attractive as they want to be. Never forget that.

03-08-2006
tfs star

i think it depends because,many people have different interpetations of sexy because what lil kim wore was not sext at all to me,but yeah i personally think it's not out of style

03-08-2006
dsq
backstage pass

i think sexy is not necessarily showing skin or a naked body, but when you want to see the naked body underneath the clothes; It's also how the person acts in a such a way that you want to see into their mind, that's what makes a person sexy. imo.

04-08-2006
?

^^ agree completely. that kind of "sexy" is always in IMO.

scenester

I haven't read all the entries, but I think that sexy is still "in." It has just morphed into a sexy that doesn't look like Lil Kim with her breasts hanging out. The same people that were sexy in other clothes remain sexy in today's trends.

I can see why editors would use it as a critical comment, though. Designers are expected to add more than just "sexy" to their collections. They are expected to use their intellect to design. That's why Prada, Marc Jacobs, and Stefano Pilati (to a lesser degree) are getting so much play. They are using ideas of "protection in an urban environment" to create clothes that cover rather than reveal. These clothes don't look sexy at first glance, so instead the "sexy" part is the girl swathed in layers of cashmere and wool.

IMO, sexy is always in style as long as people are ruled by their hormones.

04-08-2006
fashion icon

non sexy looks pictures from style.com.
This is just my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 160m.jpg (17.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 162m.jpg (27.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 172m.jpg (25.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 173m.jpg (25.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 189m.jpg (32.7 KB, 1 views)

04-08-2006
V.I.P.

Yes- and I take issue with Marc Jacobs and Chloe

Both Whose bags I like a lot- but whose clothes are almost militantly anti-sexy
I understand that they are supposed to be "cool" but why does that have to mean cuts which completely ignore the body? Shapes which, in my opinion, make even the superskinny models look fat?

Personally, I want to look attractive first, and "in style" second

Chloe

and Marc

all pics from style.com

Last edited by stilettogirl84; 04-08-2006 at 07:54 AM.
04-08-2006
a hymn to darkness

you must have charisma, confidence, and grace to pull off those looks. if you possess said attributes, you'd be able to make anything look 'sexy'.

personally, i think the chloe looks are sexy. there is something flirty and romantic yet intelligent about them.

the marc looks are dire, imo.

04-08-2006
scenester

Regardless of what's happening on the runway, I still see a LOT of skin-barring "sexy" ways of dressing (what some might call "slutty," but I absolutely despise that term). Very young girls are being sexualised more and more nowadays. When I walk down the street, I see girls in miniskirts, low-cut tanks, and heels on a daily basis. I don't think this sense of "sexy" is going to be out of style anytime soon to the average person.

04-08-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitzpink
When I walk down the street, I see girls in miniskirts, low-cut tanks, and heels on a daily basis. I don't think this sense of "sexy" is going to be out of style anytime soon to the average person.
this isn't "in style" to begin with- thats just insecurity and vulgarity combined with peer pressure.

What's seen on the mass of the population is generally the opposite of what anyone on this website would consider "stylish" anyway!
We're supposed to be one step ahead of what other people are doing.

and anyway, that is not what I mean when I talk about sexy. I'm talking about mature, adult women, wearing figure hugging, but not nesecarrily skin revealing clothing

like my pics posted preciously

Melancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilettogirl84
this isn't "in style" to begin with- thats just insecurity and vulgarity combined with peer pressure.
You hit the nail on the head there^..

Sexy is dressing to accentuate the good, and minimise the bad. It doesnt have to be tight or lowcut dresses and vulgar things..Women are women. So I think sexy is R Mouret Dresses that give shape to the figure..sexy is how Rachel Weisz, Angelina Jolie and Liv tyler dress at premiers. Sexy to me is not looking like a sack with legs.

(images from www.femalefirst.com, http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/ and from pages from the fashion spot.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1415010.jpg (19.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg rachel-weisz-in-1.jpg (5.9 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg michelle williams.JPG (20.4 KB, 1 views)

04-08-2006
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M.
I have no control over any lady's thoughts.
It's good that you know that

stillettogirl, I think that 3rd Chloe look is sexy ... :p Yes, the neck is very high, but look how it clings as the model walks ... that dress is a tease ... yes, I'm wearing a tent ... wouldn't you just love to be in here with me

I agree with the point being made here, though, that sexy is a preference (as indicated in the quiz you posted), and people are going to find a way to reveal/cover up pretty much what they want to.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
end, sex