How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-06-2004
rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Jun 19th, 2004 - 1:23 am
I hope you wont mind seeing less flabby stomachs dropping off low rise jeans
HHAHAHAH!!!
definetly!

22-06-2004
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Jun 19th, 2004 - 1:23 am
its not a trend where women dont want to look appealing, they just dont want to look naked, in order to look appealing.
focus is moving from sexuality to sensuality, that all.

desire should go a tiny bit further than 'in the clothes we wear', guys should be given back the bonus excitement of 'undressing', 'discovering' the female. Imagining what is 'hiding' under clothes can be erotic, the 'in your face' attitute can also work as a turn off , for most guys i know, it certainly is.. too much public nudity can be highly anti-erotic.

it takes some time until the trend has actual impact on street level, so be patient, this too will come. I hope you wont mind seeing less flabby stomachs dropping off low rise jeans
i know that fashion has to be about movement and change. you can't play the same note all the time and expect people to continue to buy high end designer wear...after a while, you're going to say you have it all and stop...so i understand WHY people are touting the end of sex now because they're trying to create that dissatisfaction that leads to buying behavior.

what i'm saying is that nothing has fundamentally changed except the spin being put on fashion reporting. i look back through the ads from the past couple of years and there are very few where it's blatant hit-you-over-the-head sex (sure, you have abercrombie and the past couple of seasons of gucci) but look at other campaigns. armani, donna karan, jil sander, vuitton, prada, and almost ALL of the cosmetics ads i see are about sex without having a naked man or woman pose for the camera. so to say there's this sudden shift i think is a little contrived.

and to say that this shift marks a change in public attitudes toward the way they want to look, i still argue, is unfounded.

V.I.P.

Well, if you want to hold yourself back, its your choice, you are a member of the public, you choose what you like, not to change the rest, but to please yourself.

22-06-2004
etre soi-meme

advertising has moved to "less sexy" since ss04 and the trend is hot for fw 04.05

*i believe this 'departure' from sexy looks is coming straight from consumer analysis, much more from the 'younger' ages, mainly teen boys & girls that are a bit bored with all the sex-focusing. In Europe, young kids and teens are totaly against 'lolita' looks, and this creates a conflict with sex driven fashions and their manufacturers (not talking about labels, but mass production as well)

I think this is a normal reaction really, it certainly has a popular basis in my parts of the woods. And of course it poses a real challenge to the fashion companies/designers etc. Not too hard to stir fashions around sex, quite a tough job to create some impact with non-sex-orientated looks, means MORE design and MORE concept .. some people need to start working harder

22-06-2004
flaunt the imperfection

i agree completely with lena's last two posts...

and as far as what do we call a man in a skintight shirt?...metrosexual?...how about TACKY???!!! and gros and cheesy and eewww....??!?!?!?

I'm not going to respect that person...i will probably be less able to cooncentrate on what they are saying because i will be thinking to myself ..."does this guy actually think this is appealing?"

so it does work both ways...as far as i'm concerned...

22-06-2004
windowshopping

I'm afraid that I give the perspective of a much more mature ( read late 30s) woman!
I am pleased to see the taming of this full-on sexy look. For teenagers, the trend was particularly worrisome. Parading around a mall only half dress really sends out some signals..and it is possible that this is not exactly what the young woman is really trying to project ....
She is thinking - I look fashionable, I look trendy, I am popular.
What others see is - I'm up for sex anytime, I don't respect myself, and you needn't either.
And you can bet the boys think she is up for it!!
I would like for young women to consider what their clothes 'say' and whether that is really the message they wish to project.
More demure clothing can actually be MORE attractive, because it says 'I respect myself, and you should respect me".
Just a thought.
Kirsten

22-06-2004
backstage pass

Of course it isn't the end of sex. Just a hiatus. Designers need a break from overtly sexy fashion for a while, but they'll get back to it soon enough. I do think Marc Jacobs is a key part of the covered-up movement.

23-06-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by seraphelle@Jun 23rd, 2004 - 4:07 am
Of course it isn't the end of sex. Just a hiatus. Designers need a break from overtly sexy fashion for a while, but they'll get back to it soon enough. I do think Marc Jacobs is a key part of the covered-up movement.
absolutely, it is just a phase, but i think it will last for a while,
people are tired, it's so 'done' it's not fun anymore.

fashion is a circle
i'm always glad to see it eveolving and tranforming

great points pursenvy, welcome to tFS

23-06-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena+Jun 23rd, 2004 - 8:44 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lena @ Jun 23rd, 2004 - 8:44 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-seraphelle@Jun 23rd, 2004 - 4:07 am
absolutely, it is just a phase, but i think it will last for a while,
people are tired, it's so 'done' it's not fun anymore.

fashion is a circle
i'm always glad to see it eveolving and tranforming

great points pursenvy, welcome to tFS [/b][/quote]
I agree. (I'm so boring these days )
Welcome to the boards

23-06-2004
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Jun 22nd, 2004 - 1:40 pm
I think this is a normal reaction really, it certainly has a popular basis in my parts of the woods. And of course it poses a real challenge to the fashion companies/designers etc. Not too hard to stir fashions around sex, quite a tough job to create some impact with non-sex-orientated looks, means MORE design and MORE concept .. some people need to start working harder
i agree that this new spin is completely in reaction to seasons past...and i know that consumer research can be tweaked to say just about anything. i relate it to the whole "brown is the new black" that occurs every now and again so that a couple of seasons later that same magazine can announce that "black is back"...no one ever stops wearing black just like no one ever wants to dress up to not look sexy.

i'm sure you could poll people who say they are tired of skinny girls in ads or tired of white girls in ads or wish that designer clothes were made bigger and cheaper. it's not hard to find these opposing voices. i just don't believe a man or a woman is going to lay down three to ten thousand bucks on a dress to feel frumpy and conservative.

and men wear tailored things daily and look good in them. i think i may have used "skin tight" a little to liberally as i count almost every prada suit and anything dior homme skin tight (although i do not mean to associate them with those spandex-y creations popular with a certain type of muscle man).

flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by pursenvy@Jun 22nd, 2004 - 9:15 pm
I'm afraid that I give the perspective of a much more mature ( read late 30s) woman!
I am pleased to see the taming of this full-on sexy look. For teenagers, the trend was particularly worrisome. Parading around a mall only half dress really sends out some signals..and it is possible that this is not exactly what the young woman is really trying to project ....
She is thinking - I look fashionable, I look trendy, I am popular.
What others see is - I'm up for sex anytime, I don't respect myself, and you needn't either.
And you can bet the boys think she is up for it!!
I would like for young women to consider what their clothes 'say' and whether that is really the message they wish to project.
More demure clothing can actually be MORE attractive, because it says 'I respect myself, and you should respect me".
Just a thought.
Kirsten
great post pursenvy...welcome aboard!!!

23-06-2004
windowshopping

Ahhhhhh... I bought three miniskirts that I wanted to wear when I got back to school... Now I feel like I'm gonna look cheap, but oh well... Ugh... I'll still wear them. Sometimes I hate how fashion goes in cycles. Maybe as a protest I'll keep wearing the minis for the rest of college... heh.

23-06-2004
backstage pass

I think the whole dressing overtly sexy trend died down when people you don't even want to imagine having sex started doing it.

23-06-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by banana@Jun 23rd, 2004 - 10:16 pm
I think the whole dressing overtly sexy trend died down when people you don't even want to imagine having sex started doing it.
so true

23-06-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by Embrace88@Jun 23rd, 2004 - 4:11 pm
Ahhhhhh... I bought three miniskirts that I wanted to wear when I got back to school... Now I feel like I'm gonna look cheap, but oh well... Ugh... I'll still wear them. Sometimes I hate how fashion goes in cycles. Maybe as a protest I'll keep wearing the minis for the rest of college... heh.
wear a mini with a chunky sweater-tights and low heeled boots...very cute!

or with a loose slouchy top and leggings and flats...

loads of way to wear a mini without looking trampy!!!

i do it on a regular basis...i love short skirts!!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
end, sex