How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-06-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by Embrace88@Jun 23rd, 2004 - 4:11 pm
Ahhhhhh... I bought three miniskirts that I wanted to wear when I got back to school... Now I feel like I'm gonna look cheap, but oh well... Ugh... I'll still wear them. Sometimes I hate how fashion goes in cycles. Maybe as a protest I'll keep wearing the minis for the rest of college... heh.
Just wear what you want! As long as the mini covers your butt while both standing and sitting, I think it'll be ok. Just because coverage is "in" doesn't mean that you'll be out of fashion if you wear something slightly sexy. Just as long as you're not wearing those lowlowlow rise asscrack jeans with a thong sticking way out.... I think that's one of the few things that is truly out of fashion.

24-06-2004
windowshopping

Thank you so much for welcoming me to the board.
I guess I'm a little older than average, but I'm still very interested in fashion. I like to keep up-to-date, especially so I don't grow 'old' before my 3 year-old daughter gets interested in fashion.
I want to thank YOU for bringing up this topic. I have sent the 2 articles to my 14yo niece for her to consider. I think that she puts out too many 'sexy' messages in her dressing. I want to suggest that she 'tone-it-down' without seeming like a fudy-dudy ( read Mother!)
Thanks again.

24-06-2004
V.I.P.

You're not that old

24-06-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by pursenvy@Jun 24th, 2004 - 11:30 am

I guess I'm a little older than average, but I'm still very interested in fashion.
hey you are not old at all, tFS is quite a versalite, mixed-age community

08-06-2006
V.I.P.

Is Sexy Out of Style?
I want to know- Whats wrong with sexy?!

Reading through all of these forums- and following everyone's messages- and personal style-
I get the impression that everyone [else] on the Fashion spot hates antything which comes across as "Sexy"

In any designer's collection- one of the worst insults seems to be- "It's just sexy!" That means it's bad? It's one thing if there is sex appeal without any real design. But to say that something is bad simply because it is sexy!!? I don't understand that.

While as much as the next person- I hate a trashy look- or a slutty look- and I would never in my life wear- you know a boob tube, or high heels with a mini-

I actually want, horror of horrors- to look sexy!

not to show off my girl parts A-La Little Kim,

(http://www.playahata.com)

and not to wear strappy short dresses avsolutely everywhere,

(http://blog.dreamwiz.com)

but to wear clothes that are fitted and show my shape.

(www.style.com)

To wear stilettos, and some natural makeup, and have my hair together. Is this bad? Does this mean I'm woefully unstylish and should just go hide under a rock?

Is sexy just completely out of style?

What does everyone have to say about this? and if sexy simply has gone out of style, is it about due for a revival?

What are YOUR thoughts?

V.I.P.

Well i don't find Lil Kim's dress sexy
I love to be sexy and i don't think it can ever be out of stlye and if so,so what?Who cares....

08-06-2006
V.I.P.

I think that the next few seasons you will see a definite change and that will filter down to the masses, soon. You'll see less skin and more volume in the clothing. Fewer skirts and more pants and interesting layers.

But sexy is always in ... it just depends on how you define it. What is "trendy" changes and what is considered "sexy" also changes.

08-06-2006
Stitch:the Hand

Depends on your perception of sexy. As eylul pointed out,that kind of vulgarity or overt sexuality that somebody like Tom Ford embodied in his collections are not as prevalent anymore. I think sexiness in the way of a certain kind of mysterious elegance and volumes is the way to go at the moment. Just like now with so much emphasis and influence being around Victoriana and Baroque...fashion is covering up more and layering in an armour like way.

And also at the moment,designers are expressing a newfound sense of naivite and whimsy. That kind of fragility of childishness. It's an escape from all that severity and harshness of the 90's and early 00's.

08-06-2006
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

I love sexy clothing! You can be sexy without showing a lot of skin, that's the magic of it... THAT'S sexy. Trying too hard to be sexy ends up, most of the time, being a turn-off.

08-06-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
I love sexy clothing! You can be sexy without showing a lot of skin, that's the magic of it... THAT'S sexy. Trying too hard to be sexy ends up, most of the time, being a turn-off.
Words!

rising star

I think the old definition of sexy is out. I don't think the top two pictures are sexy at all--they're creative, but not sexy. There have been plenty of outfits that I've seen recently that look very sexy. I would have to admit though, that looking sexy is LESS popular, but it's certainly not out of style. I think right now there is a lot more experimentation going on--we're probably going to see the styles originated from street fashion that we originally laughed at from Japan coming out--where people basically try to look like characters in graphic novels. It's going to influence a whole new way of approaching what is sexy.

I sure wouldn't call the bottom picture "sexy" though. There are a lot better outfits that show people's shapes than that. That outfit looks uncomfortable with all its tight wrinkles, makes the person look cold (not thermally) and quite frankly a little bit stuck up, hair pulled back in a way that looks like she's ready to go to a business dinner, the only thing that looked good about it was the shoes, and the makeup was really awful--lipstick that is almost the lightness of the skin, dark eyeliner that is missing from the inner corners with a hint of white eyeshadow above, yuck. Then the handbag that looks like it should be worn with a jeans outfit.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
I absolutely agree with that! Karma For you

tfs star

Well of course things like that Lil Kim ensemble are not sexy, I actually like the Paris Hilton pic though and think it's sexy. But I think when wearing sexy clothing, you have to actually feel sexy to make others think that you are.<----I hope that makes sense. But it's all in the way you wear it, you can wear a sexy dress and make it look trashy or make it look sexy or just cute. It just depends on you. Although I do wish that the 90's over-the-top Versace and Tom Ford kinda sexy would come back into style as far as showing skin and sorts.

08-06-2006
V.I.P.

Kizzume- Perhaps that was not the best example- I will try to find better looks to represent the kind of sexy which I am talking about.

I think part of it is that I want to look "Womanly"/"Strong" rather than "girlish"/"Cutesy"

backstage pass

Sexy will never be out of style.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
end, sex