How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-09-2007
rising star

Maybe This is England could turn this into a trend, but to me, this is a subculture I see daily, there are a few skins in my school and there were some in my old one as well.
I guess some hipsters would be inspired to buy a new Ben Sherman shirt.
Many of the people in the pictures posted probably still draw inspiration from bands such as The Libertines and Dior Homme p/e 06, some of them might have an old Specials record lying around.

God, I'm all over the place. haha.

Last edited by susanna; 02-09-2007 at 08:45 AM.

02-09-2007
fashion elite

My post from this thread disappeared.

Weird.

02-09-2007
backstage pass

mine as well...

this is awfully strange to me tho... how is it that ppl/TFS think that politics or cultural references can be mooted out? there's a lot going on with this aesthetic, which makes it a bit more than just clothes. either way these clothes make a strong statement and the aesthetic is associated with plenty of other things that has nothing to do with fashion, trends, or even style.

but, whatever.

the early style of British band Blur//progression or just not a strict keeping w/ the uniform:

02-09-2007
fashion elite

V. weird indeed.

02-09-2007
trendsetter

It's so weird because skinheads isn't something you see very often , maybe if you go to some of the punk festivals during summer the one at morcambe , blackpool etc

I've definitely seen a few younger skinheads cropping up though who are obviously directly influenced by the film.

trendsetter

Soo Catwoman

raystevenson.co.uk
I think from what I remember (I used to be obsessed with reading about punk culture) she worked in SEX.
Read more here http://www.soocatwoman.com/main.htm

backstage pass

Theese girls are from www.hel-looks.com

06-09-2007
trendsetter

Ooh nice pictures everyone! Although, I think of Soo Catwoman as more punk than skinhead.

I actually didn't mean discuss the whole politics thing as in hijack this thread. I only wanted to make an aside about this style, Lesypersound I'm glad that you think this way too (how can you not include politics for example --> 'nazi chic'?) I don't think you can make fashion 'ahistorical', it didn't spring out of nowhere. But I also understand the rules, and I don't want to ruffle any tailfeathers here so...

Anyway, a totally random example of skinhead fashion is from Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle. Justin Theroux's character, Seamus O'Grady, had was a skinhead. I watched some behind the scenes trailer or something about Full Throttle, and Theroux mentioned that he and the stylist decided on giving him this skinhead outfit. I know Theroux is from DC too. I don't know if he was in the punk scene back in the day there or not though...

07-09-2007
trendsetter

Yeah I posted Soo though mainly because of her hair and the influence she must have had !

rock-chic

I know quite a few skinheads in my local rock pub in York who like the look & the music, but are really sound guys, not into far right politics. I don't know any (or seen that many) in Lincoln, but obviously some good ones as Mum told me she saw a woman collapse in the street and 2 skinheads came to her assistance! The skinheads & punks I know are part of a wider social group, but apparently in the late 70's, it used to be skins v punks all the way! I do notice some overlaps in how they dress

urd
tfs star

I just watched a documentary about the iconic Fred Perry shirt, which is very popular amongst mods and skinheads

02-10-2007
trendsetter

^Sounds interesting, what's the title?

03-10-2007
backstage pass

I've heard that the color of the stripes on the Fred Perry shirt symbolises sexual preferences etc...tried to google it but I didnt find anything...Maybe it's out of topic...!

05-10-2007
trendsetter

I love this film, the director is amazing.

I remember skinheads in the 80s' and I guess the 'trend' can be seen today, even though 'skinhead' was part of the working class culture. But with the working class/under class (like most cultures) - 'cultures' change. The way I see it is... Mods have become skinheads and skinheads have become 'chavs'. Not all skinheads are 'racist', skinheads was a working class culture (that were into reggae and ska) that rejected the 'mod' culture as Italian suits, scooters, etc were expensive, etc. Therefore with the rise of under mass employment under Thatcher they could not identify with such consumerism e.g. 'expensive suits'.

Some became 'racist' (not all!) because they blamed immigrants for the rise of mass employment, the Falklands and the closing of coal mines - this created anger amongst the w/class. Today, we have 'chav' - gold chains, check shirts, gel down hair, caps...still quite similar. This is because working class has developed into an 'under class', the 'won't work, can't work' generation.

Last edited by InnocentFairy; 05-10-2007 at 04:54 PM.
05-10-2007
trendsetter

Mods:

ventnorblog.com

Skinheads:

www.acs.bg

Chavs:

cornerstonegroup.files.wordpress.com

The working class youth culture of Great Britain!

Last edited by InnocentFairy; 05-10-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chic, england, skinhead