How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-08-2007
backstage pass

This is England...
I saw the film "This is England" and kind of fell in love with this style...it has always been there but normally with negative/political associations...

So I did some research and found this:

from Wikipedia:

Skinheads, named after their cropped or shaven heads, are members of a working-class subculture that originated in Britain in the 1960s. They were heavily influenced by the rude boys of the West Indies and the mods of the UK.[1] Originally, being a skinhead was not about colour, race, religion, national origin, or anything of the sort. It is a brotherhood/sisterhood of individuals who share the same passions.
In subsequent decades, the skinhead subculture spread to other parts of Europe, North America and other continents. Politically, skinheads range from far-right and racist to far-left and anti-fascist; and everything in between (including apolitical). Fashion-wise, they range from a more clean-cut, mod-influenced, 1960s style to less-strict punk- and hardcore-influenced styles.

from thisisenglandmovie.com

[/I]

Pictures from early 80's from pymca.com
[/I]

Pictures from The Sartorialist.blogspot.com

From redperry.com

From themisshapes.com
[/I]

...so what do you think? Personally I'm kind of fed up with the whole nu-rave-thing that is invading at least all of Europe...so it feels kind of...fresh.

Last edited by Petit Lucille; 21-06-2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Please, don't post credits as urls.

30-08-2007
front row

great post! how did you fit so many pics into the one post?!?

i've heard and seen a lot about the film, but not the film itself - very influential though!!

30-08-2007
rising star

emi25 thanks to share

30-08-2007
fashion icon

i want to see that movie so bad....

a lot of the punks in DC dress exactly like this..i have always found it really intriguing..

oh! darling

Reminds me of "Trainspotting."

backstage pass

Could someone tell me more about where it can be seen or anything like that?
it looks very interesting...

thanks in advance

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
Reminds me of "Trainspotting."

I was just about to mention that as well...

Some of the fashion is very similar to that in Trainspotting

Anyway I love this thread. I really like the one sitting on the bean bag

V.I.P.

I love this look and the film as well .. ive been looking for so long for pics of this style with no look so thanks for posting.

In the film i love the girls styles .. espesially the girl with the blonde chelsea .. how adoarable is the little boy please ??

I still see a few skins about every now and then theres a big group of them who drink in my local rock bar and ive always been intreaged by there style. This is a look thats lasted the age of time thats for sure.

I have a picture some were of my mum when i was a baby with a baby pink chelsea cut hehe how embaressing

30-08-2007
trendsetter

I saw this movie on my flight to London, so I'm sure its out already in Europe, and probably soon in US...But wow, it made me really glad to just be visiting in London. I don't think little ethnic me could've survived! Anyway, you still see punks in DC lmelanie? I though Cusp and Intermix drove them out! Damn, I think the last time I saw a bunch were years ago... I wonder what it was like to live in DC back in the day with the hardcore scene.

Snowqueen, where do you live (country wise) that you still see skinheads?? That would scare me to live next to skinheads. I don't know, even though I find the silhouette and clothing esthetically pleasing, I can only wonder about the glorification of violence and racism that this look implies....Discuss.

Last edited by lollicandy; 30-08-2007 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Cut off half my post.
31-08-2007
backstage pass

I don't think we should discuss political stuff here..unfortunately the racist-skins adopted this style in the middle of the eighties and sometimes it's difficult to see the difference between them...normally on the nazis you can spot some horrible symbols...

Anyway...there are young kids out there that dress like this, the old-school style, mixed with sixties mod-style and punk...

The director of the film said that it's something strange with people over 25 that still has to belong to som subculture, and thats true...but mixing different styles it doesn't have to be so hardcore...

The girls in the film are so cool! Especially the one with the loafers and tennis socks!

and this kid is great!

Look at his audition tape here:

http://www.thisisenglandmovie.co.uk/#/thomas/

31-08-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Snowqueen, where do you live (country wise) that you still see skinheads?? That would scare me to live next to skinheads. I don't know, even though I find the silhouette and clothing esthetically pleasing, I can only wonder about the glorification of violence and racism that this look implies....Discuss.
there not rasist skin heads .. those are the ones with the snake tattoos see them ocasionally like but not that often .. i live in liverpool england btw .. im not saying i see them on a daily basis like just every now n then like .. purely cos of like the places i hang out i guess more alturnative places

Last edited by snowqueen; 31-08-2007 at 05:53 AM.
31-08-2007
I don't know

Emi - how do you feel about changing the title to Skinheads?

31-08-2007
Naturellement pulpeuse

Both Trainspotting and This Is England lift whole aspects of their visual style from My Beautiful Laundrette. (As well as real skinheads, obviously).

trendsetter

Feel like some of the skinhead style is mixed in with today's hipster/scene style. It's still cool though. Thanks for posting

02-09-2007
backstage pass

^^^that's why I put it here. Not because of the style itself but how peolpe get inspired of it...

Have a nice day!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chic, england, skinhead