How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-05-2006
V.I.P.

I really don't like this at all. The riding helmets were the one thing why I didn't like Balenciaga F/W collection. The clothes can have an equestrian feeling, like Balenciaga there has, but why do they have to add whips and helmets? It looks like parody.

11-05-2006
bonjour antlers

I love equestrian style because I've grown up wearing it, but I don't think this look will become trendy. Besides the riding boots, everything else is too impractical. If I saw a girl wearing breeches downtown I'd have no choice but to neigh at her. It's like a ballerina, too. One would feel silly wearing their leotard and skirt out in public as an outfit--and would probably think non-dancers would look silly as well.

I think all horse-lovers would agree that whenever they have their equestrian wear on, it's to go to the stables and not to a movie

And like susie_bubble mentioned--it'd feel weird to have perfectly clean breeches and boots. heh.

(But maybe the whip could come in handy? Hmm? Like in line at Starbucks...)

12-05-2006
V.I.P.

yes, I agree, it's not likely to become a very common trend. That said, many times after I ride I go grocery shopping and have been known to run to Nordstroms once or twice in my breeches and boots but never with a helmet on or spurs and a whip in hand. I think if you ride and are acustomed to wearing these things all the time they just seem to be as natural as wearing jeans and a tee. I'm sure the scent I give off and the the dirty clothes taint the look somewhat though. ;-)

12-05-2006
Brooklyn, baby!

I too grew up riding. I love the look of someone in their riding gear, but not as a trend. The only riding item I can see easily worn on the street is the boots, but no helmets please!

12-05-2006
backstage pass

This isn't really a trend I love, I don't mind seeing it on other people though.

at the irish pub

i am not a fan of this trend ,either
that helmets are not for me..

V.I.P.

I remember when I saw the first pictures from the Balenciaga show I was thinking "nice collection, but WHY the helmets??". That's the biggest question I've wondered about the F/W collections.

bonjour antlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLinen
I remember when I saw the first pictures from the Balenciaga show I was thinking "nice collection, but WHY the helmets??". That's the biggest question I've wondered about the F/W collections.
I think the helmets were there to drive home the Equestrian look, like a theme... girls looking like they just got dressed to go out riding I don't think the designers expect girls to run out and start wearing riding helmets down the street, though... (the bums already do that)

12-05-2006
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixby
lol!! Sign me up for lessons with that whip!

13-05-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixby
I think the helmets were there to drive home the Equestrian look, like a theme... girls looking like they just got dressed to go out riding I don't think the designers expect girls to run out and start wearing riding helmets down the street, though... (the bums already do that)
Yes, fashion shows are supposed to be "a fantasy", but they just seemed out of place. I mean they looked as if they had been copy/pasted to the models' heads before the pictures were released. I get that there is supposed to be a theme, but I wish they would have done it somehow else...oh well, I guess I simply don't like this theme :p.

rising star

I really like this look cuz it's so refined and polished.. which is kind of like a contrast to the the grungy, loose looks that were also portrayed in other F/W 06-07 shows such as Marc Jacobs

03-08-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixby View Post
I love equestrian style because I've grown up wearing it, but I don't think this look will become trendy. Besides the riding boots, everything else is too impractical. If I saw a girl wearing breeches downtown I'd have no choice but to neigh at her. It's like a ballerina, too. One would feel silly wearing their leotard and skirt out in public as an outfit--and would probably think non-dancers would look silly as well.

I think all horse-lovers would agree that whenever they have their equestrian wear on, it's to go to the stables and not to a movie

And like susie_bubble mentioned--it'd feel weird to have perfectly clean breeches and boots. heh.

I see you're from Seattle...I used to live at the Sferra Farm and work there and at Bridle Trails...I would run around the city all the time in my authentic (not Prada) boots covered in dung and mud and my breeches and just a white tee, not giving a care in the world because it was a daily ritual for me, riding and wearing that uniform.

I couldnt hold my tongue on one occasion when I was on Cap Hill and some scenester said to her friend as we were on the corner waiting to cross the street, "Is he wearing f*cking horse-boots" or something equally lame. The rest of the convo went like:
She started to laugh, and I turned to her, saying "Some people ride horses".
"Some people walk".
This just made me LOL inside...because we were both walking.
"Looks like someone walked all over your face."
And off I was.

04-08-2008
Fat Karl

Equestrianism is one of my favorite fashion inspirations/ influences.

It was so great in FW 06 (which, in my opinion, was the greatest season/ year in recent memory.)

Fashion Designer

i love the look, it has the "feel like a million dollars" effect but its actually very comfy. love the riding boots

15-11-2008
V.I.P.

when softgrey, saw me at the stable I was wearing my half chaps...the suede is worn and shiny inside the calf, from years of use...her comment was "who need's ann demeulemeester boots when you've got those"! very apropo.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0607, chic, equestrian, f or w