How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

Fall/Winter 12/13 Trend Forecast
Women's Apparel Trends, Fall / Winter 2012-13

Tailored Biker
Neat tailored biker jackets accentuate the waist and add a rock'n'roll swagger to feminine ensembles. Unexpected, luxurious fabrics add a softness to the look, with jackets coming in navy wool, boucle and tweedy woven fabrics trimmed with white shearling. Designers play with color too, eschewing the biker's traditional black for creamy whites, grays, tan suede and beige. Zips, buckles and swinging belts add interest at the waist and emphasize the swing of the asymmetric fastening. Minimal detailing elsewhere adds an elegance to this rough-edged piece.

trendstop.com

Blouse Sweatshirt
Stretch-cuff sweatshirt shapes are rendered in delicate satin and silk, adding a slouchy, yet feminine feel to a sporty silhouette. Deconstructive details, such as a zipped shoulder seam, or bandage-like layers, add an experimental twist. Cropped sleeves and exotic prints have a ritzy, 90's feel. Exaggerated ribbed collars and waistbands create doll-like proportions.

Geometric Statement
Sharp graphic shapes shout to be noticed on bold, statement dresses. Horizontal stripes, play with contrasts of color and texture, drawing on sportswear for a punchy, athletic look. Simple geometric shapes, such as diamonds and rectangles have a more modernist vibe, while leather seam panels draw on military clothing and aviation uniform. A curvy black applique abstracts and exaggerates the shape of the body for a Matisse-like effect. Draped fabrics contrast with simple monochrome panels and severe color blocking.

Structured Bell Skirt
Thigh length, bell-shaped skirts add an overstated swing to the hips, given extra wow factor via structural embellishments. Inverted pleats are key, creating a graphic, round silhouette with stiff fabrics and allowing for deep side pockets. Overskirt-like ruffles at the waist add a further flourish, while a high-waisted leather belt extends the exaggerated hourglass silhouette, which can be emphasized with long sweaters or a bright, fringed scarf.

23-08-2011
trendsetter

What's this supposed to be? s/s 11 and f/w 11 image reproduction which one can sell for thousands of dollars?

And even a blind dog could see that this "Elizabeth & James"-bell skirt is a blatant Alaia copy.

girl who fell to earth

^^ thejarc i'm not sure what you're trying to express...
whether something is influenced or referencing another designer isn't really relevant to this trend forecasting topic of conversation.

i kind of love the idea of the blouse sweatshirt
it definitely helps to dress up such a staple of comfort while also creating a more casual silhouette for more traditionally formal fabrics

26-08-2011
V.I.P.

Thanks for that i can see the blouse sweater things being big espesially in silks and early 90s style prints i have had hunce for ages that 90s silk shirt patterns n patterned bomber jackets will have a refreshed come back

26-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

i think they are not revolutionary ideas- but they are all accurate in terms of silhouettes going forward...

*if you care for a more advanced report- you can look up the site and pay for it...

what i wonder about is peplums...
we wore a lot of them in the 80's and they were a pretty huge thing for a few years there...
they haven't really made any sort of comeback- though every few seasons a few designers try it...

i'm wondering if this is finally going to be their comeback year...

26-08-2011
girl who fell to earth

^^i have a friend (who's tiny/very slim) and she LOVES a good
can be so great on those narrower women in terms of creating more of an hourglass silhouette

i feel like maybe it's not universally flattering enough to be a really big trend though?

i'm trying to think if i've ever tried on something with a peplum...
my hips aren't too big even though i'm more of an hourglass than straight up and down but i think it's a look i could embrace

*i think in general though this looks like a great trend prediction
i can see all of these things being big

26-08-2011
V.I.P.

structured bell skirt has been attempted 2 years ago , it was a resounding flop. Its not figure flattering and fashion has moved away from the 80s look which dominated the previous decade. Cropped Motor cycle jackets will definitely be big ,esp when paired with high waisted skirts or wide trousers , giving them an edge.

26-08-2011
scenester

Blouse Sweatshirt hmm NICE!!

windowshopping

I've only done a peplum for evening wear when I was too thin and needed to buy myself some curves the effect was a little like wearing a corset strangely enough - more of a focus on the waist than hips

26-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

yeah-
see that's the thing about a peplum...
it actually hides a little tummy or hips and makes your waist look tiny...
it just has to be the right proportions for your body...
that's the trick to finding the right dress...

but maybe if it's a peplum skirt and tight top it becomes easier?

regarding the bell skirt- i think that if you combine the high waist trend with the bell skirt...
it actually works better...
and that would also work with the cropped boxy top thing...(ie- cropped moto jkt)
i see it with a cool ankle boot...
i think that could be very chic in a feminine rock n roll sort of way...
especially if the fabric isn't too stiff so it still has some movement
*and doesn't look like an inflated balloon~!...
:p

30-08-2011
windowshopping

I really like the sweatshirt-blouse! i could roll with that

30-08-2011
rising star

I can def see the Alaia-esque shapes, peplums, etc., come back

30-08-2011
front row

I love tribal, am happy it's in for fall.
grasiemercedes.com

Last edited by softgrey; 31-08-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: pls do not post links as credits
31-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

the question is though---will it be in for NEXT fall...???...

:p

31-08-2011
windowshopping

I always loved the bell skirt… on someone else. But the biker jacket is a must. I never retire mine. It gets called on active duty anytime I run short on imagination and time and the occasion requires a topper.
The geometric is a nice return. I remember a Missoni dress from few seasons ago that I was in love with while on the hanger. Maybe I should try the trend again.
I shall stay clear of the sweatshirt – it can make your upper body to appear narrower and this is not what I am aiming for.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
12 or 13, fall or winter, forecast, trend