Fashion Gets Political - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-05-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@May 26th, 2004 - 4:06 pm
He has an MBA from Harvard Business school which, while he may not be an intellectual giant, qualifies him as smarter than the average bear (no offence to Bear)...and politics is a serious issue which requires more thought than cheap puns and silly frippery.
while i agree that wearing a t-shirt really doesn't matter...especially if the proceeds are going to a lawyer in NJ... ...

i don't think that a degree from harvard is all that impressive...my ex has a masters from harvard and so do most of his colleagues and friends...while they are all intelligent folks...i am not particularly in awe of any of them...and i can certainly hold my own ...if not run circles around them in conversation...

my best friend from hs also went to harvard...now you may ask whether i did as well...and the answer would be that i chose not to...i did not like the quality of the people who attended that school...they all had a superiority complex and harvard re-enforces that idea in its student body...the students have very little concept of reality...of course there are exceptions...i am speaking of the overall majority of the student body...the ones who got in because mumsy and daddy and grandpa all went there and donated large sums of money to insure junior's admission...oh my...does that sound like anyone we know?...

so ...i really don't think that a diploma from that school really means all that much...he didn't exactly graduate magna cum laude...

26-05-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@May 26th, 2004 - 10:28 pm
'Tis true, Lena...however, I think fashion often trivialises politics - how many people who wear the ubiquitous photo of Che actually know when that photo was taken and why or even what Che Guevara did?

Katherine Hamnett comes to mind...
i absolutely agree, as i said, silly or not, it's still sending a very specific message.
reacting to a crisis

and yes of course, Mrs Hamnett

26-05-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@May 26th, 2004 - 4:06 pm
He has an MBA from Harvard Business school which, while he may not be an intellectual giant, qualifies him as smarter than the average bear (no offence to Bear)...and politics is a serious issue which requires more thought than cheap puns and silly frippery.
He barely graduated from Yale, and it's an open secret that it's none other than family connections which got him into Harvard Business School.

You don't need that keen of an eye to tell the man is a complete utter moron.

No one is going to take a silly t-shirt like this seriously, and I doubt its makers ever intended or expected it to be. At best it's a light-hearted reflection of the political sentiments (which are serious) of a large portion of American citizens.

26-05-2004
front row

i love this.

i think if you're going to spend money and time to buy a shirt like this, there's a good chance you might have an interest in what it represents...maybe not everyone...but if you're buying some thing that says "vote kerry" you might be inclined to vote kerry

and i love this idea...for the anit war rallies in Toronto me and my friends all made our owns shirts at $11 a pop.

26-05-2004
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@May 26th, 2004 - 4:32 pm
[i am speaking of the overall majority of the student body...the ones who got in because mumsy and daddy and grandpa all went there and donated large sums of money to insure junior's admission...oh my...does that sound like anyone we know?...

True, his connections helped him get in, but that doesn't help you pass the classes. Most college professors are liberal anyway, so it's doubtful they would have been leniant on his grades. I just get annoyed when people make a statement like, "Bush is dumb" and give no explanations. Yes, he is the not the best speech-giver or the most articulate, but that does not automatically shout idiocy. I would feel the same if someone said, "Kerry is a liar" and then didn't back it up with examples. Kerry, by the way, was likely helped by his family's connections and prestige. His father was a big military guy and his mom was Rosemary Forbes of the Forbes family. I don't know who I'm going to vote for this year, but I just thought I should present this bit about Kerry to be fair.

26-05-2004
backstage pass

I think slogan like these are very funny (if not a bit old... these types of anti-bush t-shirts have been around for a while) but it's annoying when people who really don't know anything about politics get involved in these things. I find that in some cases it distracts rather than aids the cause. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of Bush supporters who consider the anti-Bush or anti-war protestors to be "uneducated hippies".

26-05-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by nycgirl84+May 26th, 2004 - 7:40 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nycgirl84 @ May 26th, 2004 - 7:40 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@May 26th, 2004 - 4:32 pm
[i am speaking of the overall majority of the student body...the ones who got in because mumsy and daddy and grandpa all went there and donated large sums of money to insure junior's admission...oh my...does that sound like anyone we know?...

True, his connections helped him get in, but that doesn't help you pass the classes. Most college professors are liberal anyway, so it's doubtful they would have been leniant on his grades. I just get annoyed when people make a statement like, "Bush is dumb" and give no explanations. Yes, he is the not the best speech-giver or the most articulate, but that does not automatically shout idiocy. I would feel the same if someone said, "Kerry is a liar" and then didn't back it up with examples. Kerry, by the way, was likely helped by his family's connections and prestige. His father was a big military guy and his mom was Rosemary Forbes of the Forbes family. I don't know who I'm going to vote for this year, but I just thought I should present this bit about Kerry to be fair. [/b][/quote]
And you actually expected a thorough political debate in a fashion forum?

I frequent political forums and I'd love to elaborate on why I think Bush is an incompetent person and president, but this is simply not the venue for this issue.

I'll also keep it short regarding your "tid bit" about Kerry: at least he made the most out of his background and privileges, with an illustrious list of diverse accomplishments, which is a lot more than can be said about our current president.

26-05-2004
backstage pass

Voting is really just choosing the lesser of two (or more) evils.

26-05-2004
Fierce Flava

Quote:
Originally posted by eloes@May 26th, 2004 - 1:20 pm
'**** Bush' panties?!

:writes down the address:

That would make me smile all day long.
Not only is it political, it has a dirty double meaning...

If I had those undies on, I think I would go around to every friend and flash the message to them just to see if they think the political saying or the dirty saying...

I vote the dirty will come to first.

27-05-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by Orochian+May 26th, 2004 - 8:53 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Orochian @ May 26th, 2004 - 8:53 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by nycgirl84@May 26th, 2004 - 7:40 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-softgrey
Quote:
@May 26th, 2004 - 4:32 pm

True, his connections helped him get in, but that doesn't help you pass the classes. Most college professors are liberal anyway, so it's doubtful they would have been leniant on his grades. I just get annoyed when people make a statement like, "Bush is dumb" and give no explanations. Yes, he is the not the best speech-giver or the most articulate, but that does not automatically shout idiocy. I would feel the same if someone said, "Kerry is a liar" and then didn't back it up with examples. Kerry, by the way, was likely helped by his family's connections and prestige. His father was a big military guy and his mom was Rosemary Forbes of the Forbes family. I don't know who I'm going to vote for this year, but I just thought I should present this bit about Kerry to be fair.
[/b][/quote]
I hate it when things are 'backed up' with information taken out of context or that isn't quite applicable to the situation. I'm not pointing any fingers here, I'm just making a general comment because the issue of supporting evidence was raised. For example, I don't like it when people point out that Kerry was 'inconsistent' in the Senate whereas Bush has always been 'decisive.' It isn't fair to compare the records because they have such different political backgrounds. Kerry was in the legislative branch, which includes plenty of negotiation about bills and small changes in bills...etc, while Bush has had to worry about maintaining a decisive image because he's been in the executive branch. The two positions are hard to compare accurately the way they've been comparing them.

Sorry, I just had to get that off of my chest.

As far as the lightheartedness of such clothing goes...While I agree that many people seem to think that Che was a singer in some rock band , I still feel that clothing is a valid method of communicating political ideas. As Lena said so nicely,
Quote:
fashion has always been political, since middle ages and beyond,
wearing a slogan may be cheap and 'light', nevertheless,
it is communicating a political view, for all to see.
Aside from simply wearing anti-Bush paraphernalia, wearing tshirts for political organizations or causes can be effective in sending a certain message (like, for example, wearing a 'Love Makes a Family' shirt or some other pro gay marriage thing). I'd much rather wear a shirt advertising a cause that I care about than Abercrombie or Old Navy, for example. Why should I care whether Abercrombie gets more business because someone likes my shirt? If my clothes make people ask about the cause or notice that I support the group, though, then I'm glad to make a difference.

27-05-2004
backstage pass

But what if someone was wearing a pro-life, pro-capital punishment, or anti-gay marriage t-shirt? Would you be as supportive of political messages in fashion?

As a professor of mine once said: politics is partisan. People take it personally if opposing views are shoved in their faces in an aggressive manner. I think witty is good, but blatant political views should be kept to one self unless prompted.

27-05-2004
tfs star

fashion is political.

plain and simple.

27-05-2004
tfs star

i've had a "Give Peace A Chance" top for years now...a great investement because the notion of peace is everlasting...however, bush t-shirts are likely to go out of date...hmmm, lets say hopefully by the end of the year?

27-05-2004
Mannikin

I totally believe in taking a stand in what you believe in. I also like Body and Billboard's concept.

27-05-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by banana@May 27th, 2004 - 6:40 am
But what if someone was wearing a pro-life, pro-capital punishment, or anti-gay marriage t-shirt? Would you be as supportive of political messages in fashion?

sure why not?
people should be free to express their opinion

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, political