Fashion Gets Political - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-05-2004
Swim Upstream

But people shouldn't be allowed to express opinions that might, for example, incite racial hatred or violence towards certain groups of society. As with any other form of expression, such extremes ought, quite properly, to be legislated against. Having a particular opinion is fine so long as it doesn't directly and intentionally cause harm or hurt to others.

27-05-2004
etre soi-meme

i agree Helena, moderation is the rule, but...
if we dont mind a 'stop the war' slogan, we should be tollerate for a 'yes for war' slogan as well, see, democracy is not such an easy concept

27-05-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
You don't need that keen of an eye to tell the man is a complete utter moron.
You don't need that keen an eye to tell that the leader of one of the most powerful political parties in the world is certainly not a moron. He may not be an intellectual giant but he assuredly is not a moron. Why would an ex-Field Marshal; a Princeton scholarship boy; a doctor of economics and ex-CEO of a major transport company; a doctor of law; and a top lawyer who graduated with honours from Yale be lead by a complete idiot?

Swim Upstream

Lena - I agree absolutely that people ought to be able to express non-populist opinions - definately. Tell that to the american film industry that won't screen Michael Moore's lastest film!! True democracy in these dark days seems an elusive creature. don't get me started on all that though.

My husband has an undercover t-shirt with a slogan written in arabic on it & I was really nervous of him getting it just because of the heightened tensions there are at the moment. I am so aware of trying not to offend anyone - its a very difficult topic isn't it?

27-05-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

^^^
*led

lead is a heavy metal...

27-05-2004
tfs star

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@May 27th, 2004 - 6:19 am
You don't need that keen an eye to tell that the leader of one of the most powerful political parties in the world is certainly not a moron. He may not be an intellectual giant but he assuredly is not a moron. Why would an ex-Field Marshal; a Princeton scholarship boy; a doctor of economics and ex-CEO of a major transport company; a doctor of law; and a top lawyer who graduated with honours from Yale be lead by a complete idiot?
It's called he has the right collection, money and power...these people are not nesscesarily smart (nor dumb) but it's obvious he wouldn't be where he is today without them...

and DITTO!!! helena...i can't believe your country is not releasing it!!! Michael Moore is amazing, and being a fan of his films i totally am on ur wavelength...America is starting to make other democracies look very bad...

27-05-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@May 26th, 2004 - 4:06 pm
He has an MBA from Harvard Business school which, while he may not be an intellectual giant, qualifies him as smarter than the average bear (no offence to Bear)...and politics is a serious issue which requires more thought than cheap puns and silly frippery.
When you are constantly and blatantly lied to, when you are taken for an idiot, just like the most of the American public was/is, when all rational arguments and facts get lost in the maze of spinning and bullshit, all you are left with is "cheap puns and silly frippery".

27-05-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@May 26th, 2004 - 4:32 pm
my best friend from hs also went to harvard...now you may ask whether i did as well...and the answer would be that i chose not to...i did not like the quality of the people who attended that school...they all had a superiority complex and harvard re-enforces that idea in its student body...the students have very little concept of reality...of course there are exceptions...i am speaking of the overall majority of the student body...the ones who got in because mumsy and daddy and grandpa all went there and donated large sums of money to insure junior's admission...oh my...does that sound like anyone we know?...
Weird, that is EXACTLY what the chairman of my department at New School (who taught at Harvard) said. He said that the undergard students were much more interesting and knowledge hungry instead of the graduate ones who were all about making connections.

27-05-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by nycgirl84+May 26th, 2004 - 7:40 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nycgirl84 @ May 26th, 2004 - 7:40 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@May 26th, 2004 - 4:32 pm
[i am speaking of the overall majority of the student body...the ones who got in because mumsy and daddy and grandpa all went there and donated large sums of money to insure junior's admission...oh my...does that sound like anyone we know?...

True, his connections helped him get in, but that doesn't help you pass the classes. Most college professors are liberal anyway, so it's doubtful they would have been leniant on his grades. I just get annoyed when people make a statement like, "Bush is dumb" and give no explanations. Yes, he is the not the best speech-giver or the most articulate, but that does not automatically shout idiocy. I would feel the same if someone said, "Kerry is a liar" and then didn't back it up with examples. Kerry, by the way, was likely helped by his family's connections and prestige. His father was a big military guy and his mom was Rosemary Forbes of the Forbes family. I don't know who I'm going to vote for this year, but I just thought I should present this bit about Kerry to be fair. [/b][/quote]
Are you serious? I think you don't know too much about the politics at schools. EVERY professor is tied down by the administration much more than you think, especially in schools that depend on hefty give outs from the former graduates. And BTW, anyone with a JD out of Yale better be a damn good speaker.

27-05-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

Please note the absence of the legend, 'Hitler, he's only got one ball!':

flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@May 26th, 2004 - 2:10 pm
undershirt-and-panty combos that range from a concise "**** Bush" to a saucier "The Only Bush I Trust Is My Own" to our personal favorite, "Keep Your Laws Off My ****ing Body."
oh yah...great political statement...wear your political views onder your clothes so that no one will see them ...i don't see how this is making a statement if no one sees it...unless of course you're a hooker... if you want to make a statement...donate $20 to the campaign of your coice...i choose the lesser of the two evils...kerry...

i actually styled the poster for that michael moore film...it felt good...that made me feel like i was part of the political process even if I was just getting clothes and props(remember when i bought the surfboard?)...at least it was for a project that i believed in...makes my job seem less frivolous somehow...

fashion used to be so much more political...punk was a great example of that...i used to think you could change the world through music and fashion...i've always tried to make some sort of statement with my personal wardrobe and my work...problem is...i don't think anyone's really listening or looking...they are too mesmerized by the bleached hair and bronzed boobs in the media to pay attention to real issues...

27-05-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@May 27th, 2004 - 6:19 am
Quote:
It's commonplace that those with inferior intelligence lead the more intelligent ones, it's not about intelligence (and btw, see the quote in my sig, some food for thought). Just look at the corporate world.

27-05-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by faust+May 27th, 2004 - 9:42 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (faust @ May 27th, 2004 - 9:42 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-PrinceOfCats@May 27th, 2004 - 6:19 am
Quote:
It's commonplace that those with inferior intelligence lead the more intelligent ones, it's not about intelligence (and btw, see the quote in my sig, some food for thought). Just look at the corporate world. [/b][/quote]
i agree...what intelligent person would want the job of leader of the free world?....that's got to be a suck-o job...

power hungry macho morons go for that kind of stuff...not brainiacs...

27-05-2004
Swim Upstream

Quote:
Originally posted by Amelié@May 27th, 2004 - 9:56 am

and DITTO!!! helena...i can't believe your country is not releasing it!!! Michael Moore is amazing, and being a fan of his films i totally am on ur wavelength...America is starting to make other democracies look very bad...
Just for the record, I am not american, i am British. I hope that the film is released this autumn in the Uk.

There is a lot of stuff on this thread that I am really not following as a non-american.

27-05-2004
flaunt the imperfection

don't worry helena...you're not the only non-american...and orochian...who is apparently very passionate on this issue is canadian...i believe...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, political