Fashion needs a Revolution - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-10-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramarine
the problem resides on big name designers who embraced revisionism recently ... and I dunno if Im more and more critical but its rare to find a whole collection who deserves praise and we're so thirsty for it that something just nice is able to cut it ...
Economy is a huge factor on this matter and war times are not the best for risque proposals ... however, yesterday or the day before there was a record set on NY Stock Exchange ... hopefully .. that'll be a sign
Ya, good point, we have becaome more critical! A great excuse to think of.

unknown
21-10-2006
scenester

I agree with the many great points here. I believe, as Alexandra8715 said, that the current craze for retro style comes from our longing for a more 'innocent' age, in which there were unexplored possibilities, emancipations, and the disastrous effects of new technology on the environment hadn't been recognized yet. Fashion revolutions usually spring from a change in mentality, a social movement of some sort. So I also agree that what is really needed is a change in the mentality of us as consumers, and as Nyx said, the purpose of fashion needs to be reimagined in order to change our way of thinking (or perhaps it will be the other way round!)

22-10-2006
front row

I think the disillusion in today's fashion goes a little way towards why vintage clothing has really taken off.

Fortunately having recently moved to a relatively fashion-forwards city I can delight in taking in all the varied personal styles i observe on a daily basis.

My conclusion is that the emphasis on style is on the individual, therefore, we must create our own revolutions. There are so many trends available, the oweness (sp?) is upon the consumer to dress herself and select her own image. Personally, if this is embraced, I believe this philosophy can be far more innovative than decades gone by, where iconic images of fashion were largely based on trends that recieved a huge, almost cult status (just some random e.gs...40s: flapper girls, 50s: preppy, 60s: mod, 70s: disco, 80s: power dressing, 90s: grunge). Gwen Stefani, Dita Von Teese and Karen O, all style icons in their own right, prove this theory. The catwalk does not have to dictate fashion, but now we should attempt to dicate the catwalks.

chaos reigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyx
So what do I see as the future of fashion? I honestly don't know. What kind of phenomenon(s) could take its' place and do its' job better than the fashion of today does? What are we looking for in fashion exactly, and where else could we really find it?
WHOA! That was an EXCELLENT post!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, revolution