How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-02-2008
tfs star

They do look more like wide-leg flares than bellbottoms. However, these are still some wonderful pants and jeans to me. The majority of you here seem to like the Burberry ones best. I kind of like the fifth and sixth pictures in Post #1, mostly for the color. The fifth picture is more like a velvet-like chocolate color (me love chocolate! I'm a committed sweet tooth). The gold bellbottoms (sixth picture in Post #1) are nice for its gold or champagne color. Another picture I like so far are the pants by Derercuny (I can't pronounce this) in Post #4. They almost remind me of some wide-legged trousers that I've loved from Oscar de la Renta with the pleat design up top like this twill pants from Spiegel: < http://www.spiegel.com/shop/product_...=09-58686343-2 >.

Of all the pictures so far, only the 7th Post features a side profile of bellbottoms. We don't know about these bellbottoms from the front. Maybe to get a better idea of the flare in these jeans and pants, maybe we should have more pictures of simply them stopping while one leg is in a different direction. You know how models usually walk down the runway, stop, pose in a certain position, then go away? Well, I think we need to really see what kinds of flares these jeans and pants have by having the models pose like at most fashion shows. I'm still sold on the Dolce and Gabbana collection simply because it's a casual collection. I'm not taking anything away from the other bellbottoms, but I think these are wonderful casual bellbottoms. These would be ones I wouldn't be sad to see at school or at the mall. I haven't seen too many classy (as in pant suits or nice seperates) I like as much as bellbottom jeans so far. One website I saw took a look back at classic bellbottoms including a nice pantsuit from the 1960s. If I can find that site, I may post it in a future post.

20-02-2008
fashion icon

i knew it!
i been telling my friends bell bottoms are gonna come back back in october and i had to search out a pair of good bell bottoms

20-02-2008
front row

I think they look really fresh next to the skinny jeans that are everywhere, though I'm not too sure about the cord pair at d&g, that might just be a step too far.

20-02-2008
teenage dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M. View Post
Maybe to get a better idea of the flare in these jeans and pants, maybe we should have more pictures of simply them stopping while one leg is in a different direction.
You got it boss!
Burberry

D&G

style.it

trendsetter

Last time I wore flares was when I was 11 years old , I'm 21 now , I'm hoping it's going to stay that way.

V.I.P.

Not sure i like them tbh .. you have to be tall and skinny to pull them off imo.. they make your legs look super long though. I think its a very limeted clinentell too these trouser of who can pull them off tbh.

20-02-2008
V.I.P.

i dont think so , most women are curvy , people said the same **** about skinnies and we all know what happened there bells are flattering on most women , bells work with a womens curves , so instead of looking like a cone you look like a sexy curvy parfum bottle or retro coca cola bottle hehe

20-02-2008
tfs star

Not trying to get anyone riled up, but do you think it's possible to make bellbottoms work for curvy/full-figured types? That's been one of the real complaints about bellbottoms other than not being tall or whatever. You know, what if you don't have a body type like Disco54's avatar? It's just an avatar, but those are a great bellbottom/flare design.

V.I.P.

if a person cant rock bells , and i include boot flares , there is no way your going to rock a skinny jean. If your overweight a straight A shape wide leg jean is best because it creates a long sihlouette making you look thinner esp with a little heel it makes a huge difference.

21-02-2008
windowshopping

I really love the Burberry ones, but I don't think I'm skinny enough for them. =[ They look amazing on the models, but I think they would look awkward on me.

22-02-2008
tfs star

We've seen some of the different bellbottom pants and how the models looked wearing these. Let's talk shoes now. What kinds of shoes or sandals would work best for bellbottoms, including the ones featured in pictures so far? Pretend you're putting a look together and wanted to find a nice pair to shoes to go with them. How would you compliment your feet? I'll get into tops and accessories in a future post. But for now, let's talk about pairing these with a good pair of shoes and/or sandals.

I think retro is the way to go with bellbottoms. When I mean retro, I usually mean going with some shoes that are either platformed or with a certain style of shoes relevant to '70s fashion. I think for comfort, a nice pair of platformed, high heel loafers or pumps will do just fine. It's probably okay to go with sandals as well. I'd probably prefer more dressy sandals. Something better would probably be a nice pair of espadrilles. More power to you if you have some peep-toe espadrilles. In fact, I've been thinking of these bellbottoms with peep-toe pumps. Surely peep-toes have been popular in the 1970s. Only thing crazy is if you have a pair of shoes from the 1970s that still fit you and still look nice.

Sandals can be a different story. Don't be surprised if you see these paired with thong sandals (flip-flops). I think a good pair of sandals would probably be something along the lines of a dressy or casual pair of sandals. I highly favor platforms for retro style. A good pair of high-heel wedge sandals are perfectly fine.

You can surely wear bellbottoms with sneakers or other lace-up shoes. If you're trying to go retro, I'd avoid those Vans-style slip-on sneakers and maybe even some of those skimmers. I would ESPECIALLY avoid anything even closely resembling or are Converse sneakers. I'd probably go with some somewhat chunky fashion sneakers. Maybe even go with those Skechers retro-style sneakers that were popular a few years ago. You could skirt the rules a bit and maybe go for a sneaker sandal or something resembling the Skechers Bikers athletic maryjanes or even the Champion Jasmine athletic maryjane. I love these sneakers when I've seen girls wear these. They aren't classy shoes, but the strappy maryjanes look cute on just about any ladies' feet.

What would you recommend for shoes to go with these great bellbottoms? As an off-topic note, you have to type "bell bottoms" and not "bellbottoms" if searching on Google for these kinds of pants and want to avoid seeing the "did you mean 'bell bottom'...?" notice.

teenage dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M. View Post
Not trying to get anyone riled up, but do you think it's possible to make bellbottoms work for curvy/full-figured types? That's been one of the real complaints about bellbottoms other than not being tall or whatever. You know, what if you don't have a body type like Disco54's avatar? It's just an avatar, but those are a great bellbottom/flare design.
I do realize theirs a difference between flares and bellbottoms, and I probably posted more flares than bellbottoms. I think the perfect look for curvy girls would be flares. It would even out the leg. Bellbottoms would be too much for big girls.

As to your other question, I think sandals/platforms would look best. NO SNEAKERS.

V.I.P.

^^^^ flares look great with shell toe sneakers and golf sneakers but with hi tops or trainer shows , well those shoes are meant to be worn with gym clothes .

22-02-2008
V.I.P.

I knew it. I actually tried on a pair of jeans the other day that looked just like the Burberrys I might have to go and buy them actually, as I was on the fence

But really, what kind of shoes can you wear with those pants? That's what kept me from getting them in the first place

23-02-2008
fashion elite

there were some definite bellbottom @ Moschino as well, i will post in a second.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0809, f or w, flareleg, pants