How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-02-2008
tfs star

I see the thread was changed to "Flare-Leg Pants" rather than "bellbottoms." I didn't think these were the '70s style bellbottoms. That's what I usually think when I see "bellbottoms." I still love flared jeans and pants. Most of you already know that. I really like the Dolce and Gabbana jeans from the first thread. I think the Burberry ones are alright. Am I the only one who likes the Dolce and Gabbana flares from the first page?

24-02-2008
V.I.P.

I dont think flares will ever go out of fashion , because consistently , they are a very trend proof pant , they flatter most body types , and look fashionable , the difference now is flares come with higher waists rather than their low rise cousins. They also come in a variety of shapes , from simple bootcuts , to basic flare , super flare, A line flares, Parrallels , to Palazzo pants

25-02-2008
tfs star

Flares will not go out of fashion, and I don't want them to. Flares have taken a back seat to skinny jeans and stuff (even bootcut jeans), but it doesn't mean they'll die out like the dinosaurs. Groovy is always cool no matter what generation we live in. I still find fun in seeing bellbottoms and widely-flared jeans (there is a difference) paired with chunky shoes and boots. Maybe not some outlandish footwear from the 1970s, but I do still remember big-looking shoes from the mid-late 1990s like with chunky loafers, big-toe women's boots, and even tailored oxfords (stylish mid and high-heel laced shoes) worn with some of these bells.

I often find flares to be quite beautiful. I find appreciation in seeing flares and airy fabrics fly in the wind while walking or when the wind blows.

There is the deal about how flares tend to offer a look of taller legs. I've seen the Derercuny high-waisted flares from Post #4. If flares offer the illusion of taller legs, and if high-waisted bottoms can offer the look of a more slender waist, isn't it a bit of overkill to have high-waisted flares? Two illusions at once?

V.I.P.

^^^not really, but in high waists , i see mostly wide legs (parallel type ) but Katie holmes was wearing high waisted bells (Jbrand dolls) and she looked fab

25-02-2008
tfs star

I do love wide flares and bellbottoms. I've seen high-waisted palazzo pants. Remember that I love high-waisted trousers the most as far as high-waisted bottoms go. Most beautiful ones I've seen were from Spiegel, just can't share any links now.

Since the majority of pants and jeans in this thread are flares and not traditional bellbottoms, what would you like to see from designers in trying to come along with more traditional bellbottoms? Or do you think vintage bellbottoms would work in today's fashion culture? Think about bellbottom jeans as well as bellbottom pantsuits.

backstage pass

I think flares aren't a new thing, bell bottoms yes (as in they are back in "style".) I also think that flares look better in the summer with flip flops than straight legged jeans. I've been wearing flares for awhile now and still go back a forth with my straight legged jeans. Except mostly straight legged jeans have been seen in most compaigns, etc. Flares are just like white tees or sneakers, they're something that just won't disappear.

27-02-2008
tfs star

I have no problem with flares of any kind. I love flared jeans, bell bottoms (pants and jeans), and even those floor-length trumpet skirts (slim skirts that flare outward past the knees or someplace). Why do most people think flares aren't fashionable to begin with? Give them a chance, man!

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M. View Post
I don't see why flares are voted down by most ladies. ... What I've seen as the key to bellbottoms is in wearing some good shoes to accompany them.
I agree, though I do recognize that the whole big hip thing may play into a woman's decision to opt for non-flared jeans. I don't understand the rage with skinny jeans. I have a pair, but they are more "straight leg" or "boot cut" than skinny. I like baggy jeans, I like feeling the breeze, haha, and not getting imprints on my skin from tight pants.

I'm the only person I know who prefers loose/flared jeans to straight leg. I guess it's just preference.

29-02-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oicicup View Post
I agree, though I do recognize that the whole big hip thing may play into a woman's decision to opt for non-flared jeans. I don't understand the rage with skinny jeans. I have a pair, but they are more "straight leg" or "boot cut" than skinny. I like baggy jeans, I like feeling the breeze, haha, and not getting imprints on my skin from tight pants.

I'm the only person I know who prefers loose/flared jeans to straight leg. I guess it's just preference.

Really , most the girls i know , love flares , and maybe because most of them stay in warm climates , in which wearing skinny jean isnt a good idea , skinny jeans can look sophisticated but on very model figures and thats a fact , no matter how people try and suggest something else , if you go to any major store flares are there , flared pants are like a staple for the american working women , they give you an elongated look , and you feel smart and fashionable , it was no wonder it was the go to pant in the 70s and still is, when women entered corporate america en masse .

29-02-2008
tfs star

Flares and bellbottoms are completely casual to me. Do you think there's any chance someone could come up with a lovely flared-leg or bellbottom pants for the workplace or for play ("for play" meaning wearing something dressy and semi-formal, like when someone dresses up for school wearing dress pants and workwear-appropriate shoes)? Do you think the '70s can be stylish again like the mid-late 1990s, or with fashions like these: < http://www.fiftiesweb.com/fashion/19...on-pants-1.htm >?

Flares have the sort of fun and even sexy appeal. Most people think of sailors in regard to working person's pants since sailors worn bellbottoms to easily roll up when at sea doing work. I personally think sailor-style fashion is every bit as chic and fun as these flares we're discussing in this thread. Massive flares may never go mainstream, but yo all will have to admit that it can be pretty hot to wear bell+bottoms with good platform shoes. I usually like a combination of flares or bellbottoms paired with some funky platform sandals.

I wanted to say much more, but I'll stop here.

V.I.P.

mid 90s , were all about low rise boot cut which are more mid - late 60s in favour , i prefer the more americana flares worn by girls and young women in the mid late 70s from class to discos.
http://www.nitrolicious.com/blog/200...ainesse-denim/

i like the jeans jessica alba is wearing hear , i would have worn a crop top or fitted top , but they make you look like a model .

06-03-2008
tfs star

Before the name of this thread was changed to "flare-leg pants," I guess I want to provide some visuals on true bellbottoms. I have no problem with flared bottoms of any kind (even skirts and dresses with flare to them). But do you think true bellbottoms like the following YouTube videos resurface into a hot trend?:

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L92hT1e7RV4
* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPeKhX3sJ6c (some more extreme bellbottoms, but I love them)
* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKcAqBBJLg0 (perhaps men's bellbottoms)

backstage pass

Does this mean i can dig out my Joe Bush flared Vintage jeans from 05?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0809, f or w, flareleg, pants