How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-12-2008
windowshopping

I love these type of glasses. Reminds me of when I was a kid, Corey Feldman as Teddy Duchamp in Stand By Me had a pair of these glasses, I used to think he was the height of coolness haha.

Luckily trends like this don't reach where I live so I'm thinking of getting some Wayfarer frames and getting my prescription lenses put in.

28-12-2008
scenester

i got these several years ago, marc jacobs opaque frames, forgot where i bought them, but arent they neat? people stare a lot, not always a good stare, but definitely looking. hahah.

backstage pass

I was going to buy geek glasses a while back but the trend is passť now when tons of them glasses are sold for 4 pounds on the high street.

scenester

I consider it as a trend when those are real. I can't stand those little teenagers with glasses that have no actual glass in them. I bought mine (yes I can't see without glasses/contact lenses) from Chanel and I absolutely adore them. I'm more like a contact lense girl, but sometimes they give a nice twist to an outfit that would be too boring without. I think glasses have a purpose and you shouldn't wear them when you see properly without. Nobody wears a wheelchair just as an accessory even if it has Louis Vuitton monochromes in it.

10-01-2009
V.I.P.

I raelly want those D&G black ones from LensCrafters but I went to ours to try them on & they didnt even have the frame. That was a couple months ago though so maybe they have them now... Ill have to go look again. If they dont though I guess Im out of luck.

10-01-2009
trendsetter

I think Geek glasses are quite cute but not for everyone. I feel that some people who wear them, well, it makes them look as if they are trying too hard. Being a glasses wearer myself, I only wear them because I need them to see Loved the Geek glasses Luella did for her S/S 2008 collection.

10-01-2009
Meg
inspired contemplation

wow dalygal, I love that you replaced the lenses of the wayfarers. Great (and economical!) idea! For me, this is the freshest way to wear it. If you frames are (like others pointed out) free of lenses or just so oversized (ie vintage 70s frames) that it's ridiculous, it tends to come off more as a hipster/trend thing. If however, the frames are just quite big and square, like dalygal's, from:sophia, and malina's above, I think it's quite a cool look. I'm hoping to get the Oliver Peoples Tycoon frames when I'm in NYC next month

13-01-2009
trendsetter

I only just started wearing these glasses in October but then I didn't have a strong enough prescription to wear glasses at all before then. I got them because my dad wears them so I tried his on and they looked good on me too so I just ordered a smaller size.

My personal feeling about them is that they are NOT trendy. The slender horizontal rectangle frames on 97 out of 100 eyeglass-wearers you see are. That rectangle shape is generally, the only shape you find in most optometrist offices or eyeglass stores. Yeah, there are variations in frame color, thickness, opacity, etc, but they are generally all the same shape. And it's ridiculous because it honestly doesn't flatter everyone and it's usually the only option for new frames (aside from the random off-the-runway styles that are hard to come by for most people). It's been that way for about 3 years and will be for probably another three until the next phase comes in. I'm not saying the narrow rectangle things are bad, it's just bad that they have an overwhelming monopoly over the market and that's how eyeglass trends seem to work.

The "geek" glasses shapes, on the other hand have been in style since oh, like . . .1950. Not exactly evidence of a trend IMO. That said, I feel the same about frames as I do about jeans silhouettes, hair color, or anything else. I wish people wouldn't go with what's of-the-moment as much as with what works best for them personally.

P.S> if anyone is looking, www.optometristattic.com is where both my dad and I bought our frames and they are high quality and sooo cheap (and vintage!). Not trying to plug it, just a recommendation if anyone needs one. They come with just plastic but you can get your scrip filled in them anywhere.

front row

Absolutely Cute!

26-01-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalgyal View Post
these are mine!
they're 50mm rayban wayfarers i just replaced with regular lens
eheh thats exactly what i did too!
they really suit you

scenester

I got these glasses at Value Village for a $1! There's no way I was going to pay over $10 for geek glasses when I could get them at a thrift store. I seen glasses similar to these at American Apparel.

Photo: Me

fashion insider

Quote:
Nobody wears a wheelchair just as an accessory even if it has Louis Vuitton monochromes in it.

I've had my current pair of glasses for almost two years and i'm finally looking for new ones. I want oversized ones, but I was trying them on at this one store, and the sales person was all like "Those are a fad. If you want a pair that will last more than 6 months, don't get those." And then she showed me all those rectangular ones that everyone wears. So now i'm in a dilemma.
I need glasses to see, but I don't want them to be like a burden to my appearance. I think glasses should add to your look or personality like any other piece of clothing or accessory. Oversized glasses I think look interesting, whereas 98% of the glasses-wearing population have rectangular glasses. Like Pinksatin said, wouldn't rectangular glasses be considered "in" too? So basically if you get oversized glasses you risk looking like a try-hard hipster and if you get rectangular ones then you risk looking like everyone else who is not a hipster.

P.S. Paul Smith and Oliver Peoples have great oversized designs that are still classy. But they're probably only worth getting if you really need glasses.

Last edited by rollagasper; 18-02-2009 at 04:25 PM.
18-02-2009
fashion insider

the sartorialist.

Cute.

19-02-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollagasper View Post
So basically if you get oversized glasses you risk looking like a try-hard hipster and if you get rectangular ones then you risk looking like everyone else who is not a hipster.
I don't think you will look like a try-hard hipster unless you dress like one. I don't think I do. I don't think my dad (who wears the same frames) does either. He is just a business guy. I think you need to try on different shapes and buy the kind that flatter your face the most. Unfortunately, 98% of eyeglass wearers wear the rectangular frames because that is 98% of what is stocked in eyeglass shops. If you can find different shapes though try them so you know what makes your face look best. It's not like a pair of shoes you can just not wear if you don't feel like it. (well, you can but then you can't drive, read, etc. :p)

scenester

I'm not normally a fan of really big glasses but those look good on you Dija.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
geek, glasses