How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-04-2006
backstage pass

Granny Style
What do you guys think on this 'granny style' that i am noticing that is coming back? Jacobs seems to have adopted it with his new Stam bag, that looks something like my granny would have gotten, if it wasn't for the Depression. I personally think it's great. Getting away from what you usually normally wear and getting something new and original for a change is awesome. I recently got a Tommy Hilfiger bag that is SO old lady like, my friend even asked me if i should be in my rocking chair knitting with my cats. I, of course, slapped him, but actually felt kind of triumphant to wear something that totally stood out from the usual low-rise-jeans+high-cut-tops manifestation that has taken over the closets of hipsters everywhere. I personally really enjoy it, partly because now I can raid my mom's closet for things she wore 20 years ago that she got from all over the world. I love it. Now, what's your opinion, guys?

A man sees in the world what he carries in his heart.
- Johann Wolfgang Goethe, from "Faust"

29-04-2006
rising star

love most of it because a lot of stuff considered "granny" is really just classic

29-04-2006
ingenue

^ ditto what you just said, it's really classic stuff. I have a very 'granny' wardrobe, you could say. to me 'granny' is epitomised by mid-calf length skirts (of the wool, tartan, or tweedy variety), cardigans, mary-jane shoes, etc.

and, knitting is hot. I love knitting.

I think the 'granny' thing kind of goes hand-in-hand with the current revival in domesticity. (which could be a whole other thread unto itself...)

29-04-2006
V.I.P.

Grannies are cool. Period. Whenever I see a granny walking by and I thinkg if their outfit was worn by someone a lot younger - everyone would be saying how effing cool that person looks.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
29-04-2006
V.I.P.

Haha oh my God susie I think of that too. :p
I love the cardigans and bags grannies wear especially..I actually find grannies quite inspiring.
And around here grannies, a lot of the time, look much more stylish than all them trendy Sienna worshipping girls..

etre soi-meme

it's a cute style and quite huge for ss06 but i'm afraid it wont last too long now
..not too much 'classicism' on the fw 0607 catwalks, from my own experience in the local market it didnt sell too well

29-04-2006
windowshopping

i love it! I had this great little white knit juper, it was "granny style", but still looked young and fresh, I got it from Portabello Market. It would be nice if this style stuck, but then again do we want EVERYONE wearing it?

29-04-2006
ingenue

I agree with lena, while it's a bit of a cultish style in terms of the people who follow it, I've really only seen a couple of other people rocking this look. and, I must say, it does not suit everyone. if you wear it just because it's trendy, then you run a very high risk of looking quite awkward...it's not too easy to pull off without looking frumpish.

that said, miss marple's style rocks my socks.

29-04-2006
rising star

i think this trend is part of the beginning of a move away from the high-speed consumption of trends; maybe it's just me but it seems like people are slowly coming around to the idea of having a smaller, more expensive and classic wardrobe.

29-04-2006
V.I.P.

I think "granny" style is classic style imo. my grandmother is 85 and she has some amazing handbags, jewelry and dresses that I want so bad. this past sunday she gave me a vintage snakeskin purse and belt that she got from nigeria. It's amazing.

29-04-2006
V.I.P.

^i agree on that, happiness. i think it's a lovely way of mixing things up, very subtle and comfortable, with a hint of semi-elegance. that's at least how i understand the term, i dont get the girls in extremely loose new clothes calling their style granny, like say, one of those olsen twins. .

V.I.P.

Quote:
Grannies are cool. Period. Whenever I see a granny walking by and I thinkg if their outfit was worn by someone a lot younger - everyone would be saying how effing cool that person looks.
I think that also i think its because they have had so manu years experience they have learned what looks good on them and have found there own style... old people have had years of practice so really they are only getting better with age.
I always think grannies have nice jewlry. welll some do ..like classic vintage pieces.

29-04-2006
seagreen serenades

oh oh! my own mother has been known to mock and call me a little granny when i wear old vintage dresses that are quite long, but which i think are glorious :p
...and when i wear her mother's jewellery or brooches... or an old knitting bag

not all at the same time though

29-04-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry daiquiri
not all at the same time though
see it's alright to refuse my advice

trendsetter

well, it's granny but modernized, this is why it could be appealing. i doubt any of you would put your grandma's skirt on just the way it is.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
granny, style