How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-11-2008
front row

I really dislike the Alexander McQueen ones. They look so uncomfortable with all that hair(greasy looking hair I might add) stuck onto your face.

25-11-2008
V.I.P.

^ Ah well, I think they were more for the show than anything to be actually sold at McQueen stores

Has anyone seen any good hats with veils in stores recently? Those of you who already have a veiled hat, did you get it brand new (from where?) or is it vintage/second hand?

tfs star

Now in the Harajuku Style thread, some fear that the looks there would be too costume-like. Well, this is even more costume-like. It's something you have to be careful of trying this out.

windowshopping

old school, but with modern appeal, these are definitely sexy and classy

V.I.P.

Great trendspotting, crowfrogs!.
The Chanel pieces are my favorites, not so much the upper part but the spirals? on the face, they're beautifully finished.
I always loved veiled hats, especially when it's a subtle part what they're covering, it's very intriguing and even provocative..

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M. View Post
Well, this is even more costume-like. It's something you have to be careful of trying this out.
I'm not sure, John, I think hats have been dumped into the eccentricism department over the last years, maybe decades, and I honestly thought it was just too much extravagance to wear them in an urban environment but look at fedoras this past couple years, they've really surfaced to a mainstream level, they may not be my favorite kind of hat but they give me hope... hat veils too could really be reduced to a more simple, perhaps less dramatic item so people, for better or for worse, could wear them while doing their mundane activities and maybe jump into the too 'trendy' territory but at least rescue them from the 'costume' category they're in..

V.I.P.

^ Very good point. I think there will be even more attention given to hats since "it bags" are going out.

I think that these hat veils could work if worn with more modern outfits... but if one goes and creates a whole 40's look, it might look a bit out of place and costume-y. If one can blend it in with the rest of the outfit... then why not?

windowshopping

I love this subtle version of the look by ANTONIO MARRAS (indiatimes.com)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8875.jpg (20.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 8866.jpg (23.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 8869.jpg (24.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 8871.jpg (146.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 8876.jpg (15.7 KB, 2 views)

26-11-2008
front row

The Alexander McQueen's veil hat reminds me of hair nets worn by school cafeteria workers but I love the ones designed by Chanel ... it's so Victorian

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelinen View Post
^ Ah well, I think they were more for the show than anything to be actually sold at McQueen stores

Has anyone seen any good hats with veils in stores recently? Those of you who already have a veiled hat, did you get it brand new (from where?) or is it vintage/second hand?

I got mine at my aunts antique shop, There are a bunch on Etsy.com

26-11-2008
V.I.P.

Urban outfitters has as a few of these... some clips & a hat all with the netting.
I really like them. I just dont know how wearable they are for me since I rarely go anywhere that dressed up.

30-11-2008
front row

I love Antonio Marras veil! this trend is really fun!

30-11-2008
V.I.P.

one of my friend's mother is really fond of those ... she has like two boxes full of them ... which could easily make a collection of 30-40 "hat veils" ... and my friend (her daughter) loves to wear them .....
even on the beach

taken by me, summer 2008
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn79245704174ug5.jpg (52.1 KB, 70 views)

30-11-2008
unspecified

the tricky thing about veils is wind. they get into your eyes and tangle up with your eyelashes!!

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
13-01-2009
scenester

i love hat veils! i was on the hunt for a vintage one for a couple years now and then low and behold, 6 months ago i walk into urban outfitters and picked one up! black, with netting and feathers...classicly 80's
gorgeous and can be worn with actually quite a lot. wearing it with all black definitely gives a great berlin nightclub feel...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
09, hat, s or s, veils