How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-08-2005
backstage pass

Yes. I dont have a very favorable opinion of hollywood.

30-08-2005
trendsetter

i'd say some celebrities ruin certain brands eg. victoria beckham has ruined d&g
the guy from the killers has ruined dior homme and colleen roonie has ruined everything!

30-08-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
much deserved karma for miss fashionista-ta
Thanks, Miss Lena

As far as ruination and how to avoid it ... The only time I remember anything really being ruined for me was when my father pretty much insisted I take piano in college (his undergraduate degree is in music). I was self-taught, and just played for fun. Having assigned pieces, having to perform for judges, and getting a grade on it all ruined it for me.

In general, I think allowing anyone to ruin anything you love for you is giving them too much power. Just say no

30-08-2005
etre soi-meme

excellent point fashionista-ta..

problem is ..media is been brainwashing teens with what the celebrities and starlets wear as 'must haves', when one is young is easy prey no?

30-08-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
excellent point fashionista-ta..

problem is ..media is been brainwashing teens with what the celebrities and starlets wear as 'must haves', when one is young is easy prey no?
Sometimes true. One of the things I really appreciate about my mother is that from a young age she would point out to us that advertising was trying to influence us & the importance of not allowing your viewpoint to be yanked around by big marketing campaigns. Of course raising me to have an independent mind also meant that I was considerably less influenced than she would like by her own particular outlook on the world I think this is a really important thing for parents to do.

30-08-2005
etre soi-meme

how can i add karma to your mom fashionista-ta?
upbringing is the key

30-08-2005
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth C.
Yes. I dont have a very favorable opinion of hollywood.
I just hate all those celebs who have clothing lines( ,but don't even wear/like the clothes from it except some of course..like p.diddy etc..)

Last edited by fugfashion; 30-08-2005 at 02:14 PM.
30-08-2005
scenester

you can never RUIN fashion... but I see what you mean. What really annoys me is not how celebs are taking over from models and sort of become affiliated with high fashion brands... instead I just really hate the fact that stars are such a huge factor in streetstyle trends... you know, they are SO IMPORTANT when it comes to deciding what actually hits HM and the streets. Suddenly, Lindsay Lohan's stylist gives her a waistcoat, long necklaces a fendi spy bag, huuuge sunglasses and shorts... well the next week, everybody and everybody's mum is wearing it. trends just go in and out much faster this way. What's really interesting, though, is that the stars themselves rarely account for this.. they have stylists, and stylists watch fashion shows... so no - fashion is not dead. The sad part is just that it seems that this way, the top stylists like rachel whatshername truly rule mainstream fashion. I mean, fashion mags do play a part in forming the main trends of a season...a lot of factors influence those. But the small things - gadgets - it-bags - it-things... like gaucho pants or gypsy skirts... they are worn by EVERYBODY because of stars and their stylists... see my point? sorry about the bad structure and the length of this post...

30-08-2005
etre soi-meme

yes, like i wanted to buy something and then i read somewhere that Sienna Miller has been photographed wearing IT so now i obviously have to avoid the style gggrrrrrrr

30-08-2005
V.I.P.

great topic. i still blame this whole celeb hype on anna wintour, she was the one who first started using celebs on the vogue cover, and it all went from there - the editorials, ads with celebrities. and all the other mags picked it up, and look at it now: not one is using models on the cover anymore, not even occasionally (except for french vogue, maybe). this is all so sad, and i never got myself to really like this idea, not even now that we all got used to it.......

30-08-2005
Unveil Yourself....

Fashion indeed cannot be ruined. Fashion week on the other can. And alas the image that 'ignorant' people get of fashion when they here about JLO showing or Sienna Miller wearing that omg so hot shirt that is too trendy to be true. So perhaps in that way, celebs have ruined a part of fashion. Luckily, there are those that stay with two feet on the ground and look past such celeb trends or comments. I think those people are nicely represented on tFS. If only by reading this thread, or any other JLO opens store-threads. Now I for one hope that the press wont take it too far in the future. the whole phenomena has been blown up, but I am sure it will ease down. It's like a few years back all the celebs were opening restaurants. They all went broke (the restaurants) and now we don't hear it anymore...

twitter.com/ErikP87
30-08-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Dale
Fashion indeed cannot be ruined. Fashion week on the other can. And alas the image that 'ignorant' people get of fashion when they here about JLO showing or Sienna Miller wearing that omg so hot shirt that is too trendy to be true. So perhaps in that way, celebs have ruined a part of fashion. Luckily, there are those that stay with two feet on the ground and look past such celeb trends or comments. I think those people are nicely represented on tFS. If only by reading this thread, or any other JLO opens store-threads. Now I for one hope that the press wont take it too far in the future. the whole phenomena has been blown up, but I am sure it will ease down. It's like a few years back all the celebs were opening restaurants. They all went broke (the restaurants) and now we don't hear it anymore...
Great point about the restaurants There is a spring in my step now

However, I don't think the last NY fashion week was ruined by J Lo/other celebs showing. Sure, there was a big buzz at the time, but you notice she's not doing it again--I don't think she liked the critical heat one bit. What's memorable now about that week? I'd say the dark MJ show.

I will say, though, dumb as most of Sweetface is, the collection is not entirely without merit. I saw a really cute jacket in a lovely fuzzy herringbone fabric that would be quite wearable without its dumb fur flower ...

30-08-2005
I am half-sick of shadows

If not ruined then on their way to ruining, yes. You are lucky enough to make a living at one, if not two things that you enjoy (hello, J Lo)...leave it at that. Covers of 2 magazine, one US one UK, in one month is too much. Stop! I have a problem believing you had any input in the design of the clothing beyond "let's have another floppy hat".

I don't want to see clothes on celebrities, I want to see them on models...who show the clothes to their best advantage. I am interested in the clothes themselves, not your attempts to sell whatever movie, book, strange perfume you are attached to that month.

31-08-2005
Unveil Yourself....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta

However, I don't think the last NY fashion week was ruined by J Lo/other celebs showing. Sure, there was a big buzz at the time, but you notice she's not doing it again--I don't think she liked the critical heat one bit. What's memorable now about that week? I'd say the dark MJ show.

I will say, though, dumb as most of Sweetface is, the collection is not entirely without merit. I saw a really cute jacket in a lovely fuzzy herringbone fabric that would be quite wearable without its dumb fur flower ...
She is still showing, but not during fashion week. She will show at the opening of her own boutique (!) which will be located in ?

And I agree, the show had some nice ones, but the fact that it's from J-Lo sucks. Right now we have Gwen Stefani showing next week and even though I love her style, I am not sure wether I agree on her being in the fashion industry. Same with all those other designers. Today I heard even, that Jessica Alba is gonna produce a line of baby clothes. How far will it go

twitter.com/ErikP87
31-08-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Dale
She is still showing, but not during fashion week. She will show at the opening of her own boutique (!) which will be located in ?

And I agree, the show had some nice ones, but the fact that it's from J-Lo sucks. Right now we have Gwen Stefani showing next week and even though I love her style, I am not sure wether I agree on her being in the fashion industry. Same with all those other designers. Today I heard even, that Jessica Alba is gonna produce a line of baby clothes. How far will it go
Unless that new boutique is in Hell's Kitchen, I'm gonna believe she couldn't take the heat

I think it should be based on merit. If anyone, celebrity or no, has something legitimate to add to fashion, then great. But if their stuff sucks, we should all shout it from the rooftops. My sense is that L.A.M.B. has more going for it than Sweetface ... will be interesting to see what's shown.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
celebrities, fashion, ruined