Heroin Chic - Page 4 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
23-11-2007
clever ain't wise

Those pix of Sacha Blue to me has more to do with ghost children or abused kids and very little to do with heroin chic.

26-11-2007
front row

Could heroin chic be associated with grunge?
Or is it more focused on the "look" than the clothes?

26-11-2007
ele
rising star

fashion is influenced by all kinds of aspects of society. People are expressing what they see going on around them all the time, fashion is jsut one way of doing that.

26-11-2007
backstage pass

I love heroin chic always have always will. I grew up with it, worshipped it, emulated it and yet I've never done heroin or have even been tempted to do it.

Looking back on the trend, the reason I love/loved it is because of its realism. It's not nearly as fake as current pictures of over styled blond models jumping up and down in 5 inch heels. It's almost like the pictures send the message that it's okay not to be beautiful and happy. That it's okay to be sad and that sadness is sort of beautiful too. When you look at a picture of heroin chic (and really heroin chic was probably more of a style of photography that a fashion style) you feel something which is something you can't say of the current editorials in Vogue.

26-11-2007
V.I.P.

This thread is about the mid-90s fashion trend exclusively, trend as in garments, looks, outfits, shows and the like. Let's try not to deviate this into Cory Kennedy, upcoming models, or whatever might've accompanied the trendsetters upon its time. this is not the thread and certainly not the section.

Last edited by MulletProof; 26-11-2007 at 09:20 PM.

28-11-2007
tfs star

I love the heroin chic look,the whole grunge feel to it. I like to think if it as beauty in chaos.

28-11-2007
tfs star

http://www.fashionologie.com/.shared...d/james4_1.jpg

One of my favorite grungy heroin chic-y pics of James King

Can someone help me?, I keep getting invalid file errors when I try to upload pictures as attachments.

28-11-2007
front row

Ooh lovely, can you post more of James King during this era? For a girl with a bit of darkness under the eyes on an otherwise pale face(all natural of course, no drugs lol), this look suits me.

Last edited by kiddokiddo; 18-01-2008 at 03:02 AM. Reason: weight talk. *pls see TFS guidelines*
28-11-2007
ele
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
I love heroin chic always have always will. I grew up with it, worshipped it, emulated it and yet I've never done heroin or have even been tempted to do it.

Looking back on the trend, the reason I love/loved it is because of its realism. It's not nearly as fake as current pictures of over styled blond models jumping up and down in 5 inch heels. It's almost like the pictures send the message that it's okay not to be beautiful and happy. That it's okay to be sad and that sadness is sort of beautiful too. When you look at a picture of heroin chic (and really heroin chic was probably more of a style of photography that a fashion style) you feel something which is something you can't say of the current editorials in Vogue.
well said

16-01-2008
front row

this never goes out of fashion..

Margiela's Muse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ele View Post
well said
I agree. I also think that models like Gemma, Sasha, Irina L, Vlada (and the list goes on) may not have been seen as having marketable, desirable images had the age of heroin chic not set the path for their types of unconventional beauty. Of course, we mainly have Miss Moss to thank for that. But as a child who only had peripheral contact with the aesthetic of the 90s (I was, sadly, too young to appreciate the decade until it was almost over!), I still vicariously felt the beautiful angst of the era through the music & imagery I absorbed in 1998/1999. A bit retroactive, yes, but I would later come to understand much more of it, and I will always have a place in my heart for the dark, poisoned glam of the 90s. I can't help it: Shirley Manson was my first idol; that's had a lasting effect on me.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chic, heroin