How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-04-2008
Away From Here

YES!!! I HATE it when little kids wear it ... it's so wrong .. for centuries hijab was practiced by women once they hit puberty. It's only been in the last ten years or so that I've seen this phenomenan of little girls wearing it, which definitly takes away any personal choice or freedom in choosing to wear it, and also lessens the importance of it .. if you've been wearing it since you were six, then i'm not sure how much religious significance it holds for you.
not to mention the fact that it in a weird way implies little girls need to cover b/c why ... they're attractive to the opposite sex? Eww..... HATE!

and re: skanky hijabi's ... lol ... part of me feels bad for young girls, since they're obviously trying to fit into two very different codes of normalcy ... and part of me is like, "honey ... even if you weren't wearing a hijab, you shouldn't be flashing that muffin top to anyone".

Last edited by vikingqueen; 09-04-2008 at 06:10 PM.

09-04-2008
Away From Here

I just have to say, i love TFS ... I come from a city where there are literally TONS of hijabis, and people still have no clue about my faith ... no idea what the Quran is .... ask me if we have to sleep in our hijabs, if i have to wear it in front of my father ...

it's nice to have and read an intelligent conversation!

karma for everyone!!!

09-04-2008
scenester

agreed vikingqueen karma for you too!!

taz
MUSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingqueen View Post
YES!!! I HATE it when little kids wear it ... .. if you've been wearing it since you were six, ..".
well it is not happening everywhere! maybe it is a nomadic place??

in myplace little girls are not obliged to wear it, it is only worn by mature women??
& it is for going out or in the presence of stranger men.. but at home there is no hijab.

10-04-2008
Away From Here

actually, you'd be suprised. It's the exact oppposite. Little girls in the Middle East and Africa, Asia, etc., don't wear it at all until puberty .. I come from Canada, where there's a fair amount of Muslims, and I see it all the time on little kids ... although, it is mostly done in families that are new immigrants.

I'm not sure why they do it .. maybe in reaction to a new environment? It drives me crazy ... no, they are in no way obligated to wear it ... in fact, Islamically speaking, no child is "responsible" for the fulfillment of religious obligations until they reach the age of puberty

10-04-2008
Away From Here

pics I pulled from Flickr:

10-04-2008
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingqueen View Post
actually, you'd be suprised. It's the exact oppposite. Little girls in the Middle East and Africa, Asia, etc., don't wear it at all until puberty .. I come from Canada, where there's a fair amount of Muslims, and I see it all the time on little kids ... although, it is mostly done in families that are new immigrants.

I'm not sure why they do it .. maybe in reaction to a new environment? It drives me crazy ... no, they are in no way obligated to wear it ... in fact, Islamically speaking, no child is "responsible" for the fulfillment of religious obligations until they reach the age of puberty
I can understand why new immigrants make their kids wear the hijab. It is reactionary to all the sinful western practices. But also they must feel soo lost, they want to retain something from their own cultural/religious practices.

10-04-2008
In Bloom

I feel sick every time I see Somali girls in kindergarden wearing the hijab. I live in the ghetto, I see it every day. It is so gross.

we were in love

10-04-2008
V.I.P.

Technically it's a choice but that def. depends on where you are. Honestly, any woman of any age in rural Afghanistan doesn't really have a "choice" in many matters, especially not matters of dress. And I'm not shocked that it's common among new immigrants. Many people see only two options; total assimilation into the new culture or the extremes of their own culture. I can see it being reactionary and a symbol of "solidarity" in the new environment.But some little girls may want to wear it, especially if they see their mothers and other woman in their lives wearing it on a daily basis.

And thanks for the new pics vikingqueen! All of them are beautiful. I wish I had the balls to rock it myself

Last edited by xmodel citizen; 10-04-2008 at 04:54 PM.
11-04-2008
front row

I dont think its gross, i mean thats their "culture" I understand what you are trying to say thoughl. I personally have loads of hijabi friends and people i know, there are so many girls that dress like skankily and then wear the hijab it just goes to show that they are just engaging with the physical representation of their "religion" as apposed to the real meaning of islam you know the spiritual connection of just being modest. I dont think the hijab is compulsory or even necessary as a muslim but I have no problem with people wearing it if they want. I see it as a really cultural aspect of the religion there are allot of these cultural things that come into the religion, not every race sees hair as the most sexual thing in the world. Like somalis wear it one way and arabs say no that is the forbidden way to wear it, so subjective! I know so many girls that wear hijab but are sexually promiscious and most of the time it is being forced upon them and they feel the need to repel against their parents.

Any londoners from west/north/central will know Edgware road and there are allot of muslim women wearing the hijab as a fashion statement Hermes, Louis V, Chanel they really know how to dress and i think that the hijab can be chic but againt that doesnt mean it becomes sexual at all

My friend got kicked out of her house for not wearing the hijab and shes only 15 almost 16. No joke. Kicked out nowhere to go until my friends mum took her under her wing just before her exams! and shes not even a slut she dresses decently and actually believes in her religion. I wish more people would focus on modesty from the inside and their behaviour before they focus on the outside.

I dont see it as a symbol of opression but in some cases it is and we shouldnt run away from this issue, I just wish people would focus on knowing their religion first or what they really believe in.

*sorry for the rant*

Last edited by SHSH; 11-04-2008 at 09:26 AM.
12-04-2008
In Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHSH View Post
I dont think its gross, i mean thats their "culture" I understand what you are trying to say thoughl.
The thing is that these little girls are forced to wear these hijabs - by Somali families who have lived here for 30 years. It's mostly Somalis that do that to their children, but I've seen some Arabs do it to. Not so much Turks, Afghanis or such. I mean, all of which live in Denmark of course. They wait until puberty, and they can choose not to. But little 6 year old girls don't have a choice. Culture or not, I think it's disgusting. Religion should be a choice, not something you're forced into.

I don't dislike the hijab, not at all.

we were in love

18-04-2008
G86
front row

^Dittoi hear alot of women where i live say they make thier 10-11 years old girls wear hijab just because they want them to get used to it!

19-04-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHSH View Post
I dont think its gross, i mean thats their "culture" I understand what you are trying to say thoughl. I personally have loads of hijabi friends and people i know, there are so many girls that dress like skankily and then wear the hijab it just goes to show that they are just engaging with the physical representation of their "religion" as apposed to the real meaning of islam you know the spiritual connection of just being modest.
Agreed, agreed and agreed! Could not have said it better myself! In most cases, culture and religion are closely intertwined that sometimes it's really hard to separate from each other.

As a muslim, I get tired of all the stares that I got from people whenever I'm wearing my hijab. It's just annoying u know, I just want to blend with the crowds. And now, I rarely wear one (I know sometimes I feel guilty for compromising my own religion). Even muslim themselves judge one another when others dont wear the hijab, it's just stupid and immature really .

I guess it all depends on your intentions, if your intentions just to please your parents by wearing hijab then I think that's wrong and I think the only good reason that u should wear it is essentially for yourself.

Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving
Albert Einstein
19-04-2008
V.I.P.

Guys, this isn't a religious topic, it's about the hijab in style and trends. More pretty pictures please! :p I'll go searching for some tonight.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodel citizen View Post
Guys, this isn't a religious topic, it's about the hijab in style and trends. More pretty pictures please! :p I'll go searching for some tonight.
Sorry got carried away, hehe anyway I found this on the net, I dont know whether u consider it to be pretty but I find it quite nice. It's one of the styles that are often used in Malaysia. This picture is basically telling u the techniques of tying the scarf.

source : asiascoutnetwork.com

Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving
Albert Einstein
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chic, hijab